Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:58:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

I've been a little bit let down overall by a paucity of brand new full-featured games, but spent a lot of time on indies and classics. That said, when Mario Maker 2 comes out it's going to make the system worth its weight in gold a thousand times over. And it's been a great system for local multi, with Kirby, NSMB, Smash etc

My interests are leaning towards full-on retrogaming these days anyway. Switch is great for that, too, with tons of classic collections and re-releases.

Beagle 2

Good: I play it all the time. I swapped my PS4 for it and although I've felt sick at the amount of great games I'm missing out on, I would have missed out on them anyway because I just don't have the time or space to sit in a room by myself playing games. It's brilliant for short bursts and bedtimes. Alright so I bailed on Dark Souls but I had a fair crack at a game I would never have got around to on any other platform, same with Skyrim and games like Yooka-Laylee, I just never would have bothered with them on a PS4 but I really enjoyed them. FIFA is fine, I only ever play seasons and it's great for that. I like being part of the Nintendo scene, it feels kind of safe, a mutual wank and whinge frenzy.

Bad: Insulting, laughable game prices. I've spent hundreds on games I've barely touched. That's not as good as my previous policy of spending a few tenners on games I barely touched. On the retro side I naively thought NES and SNES games would be there from the start but I was more looking forward to N64, GC and Wii re-releases as I never owned those consoles. It hasn't happened. Some genres (sports games, GTA clones) are inexplicably underrepresented. I'm somebody who likes to play loads of games until I get bored instead of a few quality games to completion so some sort of proper monthly rental or online free games package is really attractive to me, but it's not going to happen is it, just why. It's frustrating to see the potential of the thing as a platform for older games that isn't being fully exploited.

THE FUTURE: The console itself is obviously an ingenious and pleasing design but two years in it's very obviously a 'mark 1', the creaking and clicking and uncomfortable shape is really getting on my breasts. It needs a deluxe handheld version that's actually comfortable to hold.

Get the Satisfye grip if you play plenty of handheld mate. It's literally made me play it in handheld. I mean, I'm playing it now in handheld on a train. NOW. And my hands are loving every second of it. Previously, I would just sit and wait for my destination and yank the hotel telly around and dock it in my hotel room before ordering a leggera pizza, maybe Romana or Arrabiata something like that, a rocket and parmesan salad, thats kind of thing and about eight beers and then have a shower, have salmon and scrambled eggs on brown toast, few cups of tea and a coffee, have another quick wash, do my teeth and get ready for the meeting or conference or whatever. Then I'd get my Satisfye grip out again on the train and play til I get home. I usually park in the multistorey car park, drive home from there and then probably straight to bed most often. Sometimes if I bunk off early I'll get home and set up the dock again and the HDMI audio extractor because my wireless headphones have an optical input for the source. That's how I set it up so I can flick between PS4, XB and the Switch. It just works.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I ordered one myself on your recommendation a couple of weeks ago. They just sent me an email to say that it's "packed", which presumably means they've put it in a box. Exciting.

It's a good un. Genuinely good purchase. I played for four hours today on the train. Zero discomfort.

As for the Switch itself, I like Beagle's Good and Bad categorisation.

good

The greatest console I've ever played. I love it so much and I've probably made Nintendo at least ten grand through my own assorted purchases and insistent recommendations to mates and people online. I'm responsible for a percentage of the success of the console and I think it's right that it's acknowledged.

The first party games kick every other system in the twat. Simple as that. BotW, Odyssey, ARMS, Splatoon 2. These games are as good as anything I've played in the last ten years. Incredible. Only Dark Souls stands above them. The PlayStation first party stuff is AIDS tier in comparison and I bought and enjoyed all that shit to some extent. Just so boring and unimaginative and 'turn up the graphics' kind of scumbag crud to whore out 4K tellies. They look really great.

Beyond that, I have loved the ports and shit. Dark Souls, Skyrim, Tropical Freeze, Bayo 2, FIFA, NSMBUDX. I've played all of these games elsewhere but certainly for the Wii U ports, I've never played them as much as on Switch. FIFA I buy every year. Never played it as much as on Switch.

Beyond that, hundreds of mid-tier shit/good/great indie games and Neo Geo/arcade ports. I mean it. I've bought about four hundred games for the Switch, most being indie or arcade ports and I rate about 80% as worth it.

Best of all perhaps is that it opened me up to shmups in a proper way and it's undoubtedly the best supported console for shmups since the 360. It made me fall in love with shmups so much that I bought a 360. That's on the Switch. It made me finally get Ikaruga and completely obsess over it beyond probably anything since Dark Souls or maybe Bloodborne. It got me into bullet hell. It got me into Cave, despite having no Cave games as of yet. It made me realise I've wasted two decades not playing these games which I love more than anything besides Souls and Street Fighter 4.

bad four hundred games

I could and should have taken my wife on some holidays or got some new blinds or got a tumble dryer or a new car or whatever or saved for a friggin kid but I didn't. I spent it on Twinkle Star Sprites and Devil Engine and Danmaku Unlimited 3 and Rolling Gunner and Neko Navy and Sisters Royale and Steredenn and Rival Megagun and many many more. She will never know but in hindsight, I feel terribly guilty and want to slide it down a grid and pretend it never happened.

Mango Chimes

Final Fantasy VII has HD characters walking on 4:3 SD pre-rendered backdrops. That's a shame.

Twed

As I went a bit mad about the other week, it would be better if the characters were lo-res too, if the backgrounds can't be.

Do you mean IX? That looks a lot better than FFVII ports do, at least.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: Twed on March 04, 2019, 11:51:43 PM
As I went a bit mad about the other week, it would be better if the characters were lo-res too, if the backgrounds can't be.

Do you mean IX? That looks a lot better than FFVII ports do, at least.

No, VII – it's on the eShop for pre-order, and I was quite excited to get it, but the screenshots look shit and have put me off. Best case, you re-render the old backdrops. But as long as you're not charging lots for it, perfectly good to port it 4:3 and pixellated like any 16-bit game. They've gone for the worst case, where there looks the be really stark separation between sharp HD characters and smeary backdrops.

Twed

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 05, 2019, 12:05:29 AMBest case, you re-render the old backdrops. But as long as you're not charging lots for it, perfectly good to port it 4:3 and pixellated like any 16-bit game. They've gone for the worst case, where there looks the be really stark separation between sharp HD characters and smeary backdrops.
Agreed. Here's a seven-post series of me going mental about this: https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,48355.msg3742714.html#msg3742714

It's not possible for them to re-render the backgounds. As you've said, they chose the exact wrong compromise.

Mango Chimes

Ha, hadn't seen that. That comparison screenshot really makes the point. How to turn something clever and beautiful into an artless mess.

EDIT: Keep staring at that image. The body in the background! In the original, it's at a size and resolution such that you wouldn't necessarily know that it's not just part of the render. That's brilliant. In the new version, your eye's drawn to this low polygon prick floating on top of an indistinct blur. It makes the character models look worse, the background look worse, and together they look awful. What an incredibly bad decision.

Twed

I get that they need to appease people who have been setting up their emulators in the same way, but at least make it an option to turn that shit off for people with taste.

Beagle 2

Well I bet you lot who shelled out for PSVR feel pretty stupid now we're getting Labo VR. Can't wait to get shat out of Yoshi's arse.

Kelvin

New Indie title, Ape Out, is brilliant. I've started a thread, but I really want to let people know how good it is.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH6hCAK24Ok

I go into detail in the thread:

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72053.msg3762798.html#new

Lee Van Cleef

Mario Odyssey is bloody genius.

Kelvin

Quote from: Lee Van Cleef on March 13, 2019, 03:08:16 PM
Mario Odyssey is bloody genius.

Yeah, it's great. I think the main campaign, if you just focus on the main path Moons, is probably the best 3D Mario has ever been.

madhair60

Buy Baba is You. Just drop the 12 quid on it now.

Looks bab. Looks like the kind of thing you go huh nice and then five minutes later uninstall . I'm trying to avoid those games now.. Please let me know why I'm wrong but maybe wait til you played more than five minutes

I also have too bad an attention span for puzzle games. I'd just do a word search if I wanted to play a puzzle game

madhair60

Slide your Switch down a fuckin grid.

I would definitely do that if not for ROLLING GUNNER.

It's redundant otherwise.

madhair60

I'll definitely be getting it even though I never played any of the others.

I'd massively recommend Rolling Gunner by the way if you have a JPN account (or just change your location and buy it then swap back). I don't know if you actually play shmup stuff really but it's superb. So good I haven't really touched my new 360 for the last week or so. Also very accessible in terms of modes and difficulty and rank options. Ex-Cave guy made it. Feels damn good.

madhair60

I do play shmup but I prefer ones with environmental shit ala Gradius, R-Type, Super Hydorah. Stuck a load of shmups on my PS Classic, Raiden DX, DoDonPachi, Pure Shooting Game Soft High Brow Gag Harmful Park, Sexy Parodius etc

brat-sampson

Quote from: madhair60 on March 14, 2019, 10:12:08 AM
Buy Baba is You. Just drop the 12 quid on it now.

Bought this now so it had better stay Baba Is Good

Thursday

Quote from: brat-sampson on March 17, 2019, 01:00:09 PM
Bought this now so it had better stay Baba Is Good

If it doesn't, I'd just like to reserve the line "Baba is Poo" in case it turns out to be shite.

Consignia

Anyone experienced an issue with the joy cons where the stick gets suck in a direction? It's happened to my right analog stick. I've seen a few things like the stick is dirty, so I'm getting some compressed air to clear it out. But I'm hoping I don't need to anything drastic like buy a new pair of joy cons.

I've not had it myself but heard a few similar cases. In every instance, it was excessive production of natural oils due to all them anime games :(

(I heard compressed air under the stick housing will do the trick, yep.)

Thursday

Quote from: Thursday on March 17, 2019, 01:46:51 PM
If it doesn't, I'd just like to reserve the line "Baba is Poo" in case it turns out to be shite.

Playing it for a bit and it's really good, but also, I'm a thick stupid cunt so I hate it.

Kelvin

Quote from: Consignia on March 17, 2019, 05:25:13 PM
Anyone experienced an issue with the joy cons where the stick gets suck in a direction? It's happened to my right analog stick. I've seen a few things like the stick is dirty, so I'm getting some compressed air to clear it out. But I'm hoping I don't need to anything drastic like buy a new pair of joy cons.

Sadly, I tried all sorts to fix it, and did have some temporary success, but after about 6 months of the problem persisting, it basically became unusable and unfixable. I had to get new ones in the end.

Consignia

Well some temporary success is better than no success, so that's a small mercy. Recalibrating has made it a bit better. I keep switching to Badges when I want to go for attackers on Tetris 99. Not mention it keeps send my ape in the wrong direction in Ape Out. FML.

Twed

Quote from: Consignia on March 17, 2019, 05:25:13 PM
Wasn't that an issue on the console's release due to signal stuff? If you're playing detached make sure nothing is between the Switch and the Joycons. I suppose you can rule that out if you're playing with the attached.