Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:15:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Consignia

What, as in another version of the Switch? Almost certainly, there's loads of reports of new models in the wings, although it's not certain if it's going a cheaper version or more expensive "pro" one. It'll still be a Switch though, its the best success Nintendo has had in a while they aren't going to create a new line any time soon, unlike the Wii U which they extinguished quickly.

BritishHobo

Have the controls on Resident Evil always been this shit? Granted I'm entirely used to the ace Wii motion controls.

madhair60

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 21, 2019, 11:04:37 AM
Have the controls on Resident Evil always been this shit? Granted I'm entirely used to the ace Wii motion controls.

What motion controls? Are you talking about Resi 4? Make sense, man.

Quote from: Consignia on May 20, 2019, 09:27:20 PM
What, as in another version of the Switch? Almost certainly, there's loads of reports of new models in the wings, although it's not certain if it's going a cheaper version or more expensive "pro" one. It'll still be a Switch though, its the best success Nintendo has had in a while they aren't going to create a new line any time soon, unlike the Wii U which they extinguished quickly.

Current rumours are triangulating around a smaller, handheld-optimised version and a slightly faster, straight replacement for the current model.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

A triangular Switch sounds like a rubbish idea.

BritishHobo

Quote from: madhair60 on May 21, 2019, 11:06:13 AM
What motion controls? Are you talking about Resi 4? Make sense, man.

FOUR. I've only ever played with the Wiimote as the shoot gun thing and the nunchuck for movement. That was a perfect control system I think, even though most other motion control games were total hammering shit.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Kelvin on May 20, 2019, 09:27:05 PM
No, unlike the Wii U, the Switch has been a big success, so is likely to be around for a number of years. However, its' fairly likely that they will bring out iterations on the Switch, cheaper handheld only versions, and maybe one that's slightly more powerful, in the next year or so, as that's always been their pattern with handhelds and there are already lots of rumours about it happening sooner rather than later.

Quote from: Consignia on May 20, 2019, 09:27:20 PM

Thank you both for that, it's not going to happen for a while yet but it's good to know that when I do get one the console will be around for a decent amount of time afterwards.

Twed

The new Pokemon game looks like a pile of shit.

madhair60

Quote from: Twed on June 06, 2019, 01:18:45 AM
The new Pokemon game looks like a pile of shit.

It's a Pokémon game so it will also play like a pile of shit.

Junglist

Slay the Spire is now on Switrh.

GOTY 2018 without a doubt.

I'll prob get that done. Hate cards, hate card games but I want to be able to say I've played it before coming to that conclusion. Twenty odd quid seems like a fucking piss take though.

madhair60

Quote from: Junglist on June 06, 2019, 06:55:05 PM

If it's bad I'm going to spay this liar

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Just had my Satisfye grip thing arrive in the post, roughly three months after I ordered it. It's as comfy as balls. Won't fit in the case anymore though.

If I only play shmups, am I going to enjoy Slay the Spire?

Oh, madhair60, I just got your spoonerism. I probably preferred the comment before I got the joke but good work all round.

It looks like a load of bent cards and numbers. What's good about it?

MojoJojo

Quote from: Junglist on June 06, 2019, 06:55:05 PM

Huh, I thought that was tomorrow. I've become a bit obsessed watching the Tom Francis lets plays of this so it's a definite purchase for me.

Junglist

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 06, 2019, 07:13:18 PM
I'll prob get that done. Hate cards, hate card games but I want to be able to say I've played it before coming to that conclusion. Twenty odd quid seems like a fucking piss take though.

I hate card games. I hate turn based gameplay.

Slay the Spire is so fucking good though. I'm about 125 hours in on PC.

Cheers I got it, seems much more accessible and fun than I was expecting.

Timothy

Few minutes until E3 Direct.

brat-sampson

Animal Crossing slipped to 2020, so Winter itself looks a little slim, but Luigi's Mansion will probably occupy it. The rest of the year though looks decent with Astral Chain, Maker 2, Link's Awakening, Fire Emblem, Pokemon etc all exclusive.

Plus, Banjo in Smaaaaash!!!

I know it had been rumoured but Witcher 3?! Fuckin hell.

Alien Isolation?! I already played it but should do well on the system.

Astral Chain looks excellent, right up my Platinum bangle.

DxM looks more interesting than that early demo.

Fire Emblem seemed more interesting than the first look.

Luigi looked decent actually.

AC looked sweet but not really my thing. Pokemon probably same. Smash isn't really my thing but glad more stuff is coming.

BotW sequel is fantastic news, proper goosebumps.

Lot more good stuff than I was expecting. Too much to list. Mana Collection and Contra Collection gettin bought. Trials of Mana looked good. Panzer Dragoon looked good.

madhair60

That was shithouse. As soon as they announced Contra Anniversary was out I switched on my PS4 and bought it. Nice going fuckwads

Kelvin

A decent showing, with lots of games I'm looking forward to, but few surprises, except No More Heroes 3 and that ending.

No-one can say this is a slim 2nd half of the year for Nintendo, though. There's basically 1-2 Nintendo games almost every month from now on.

June- Cadence of Hyrule, Mario Maker
July- Fire Emblem
August- Astral Chain
September- Daemon X Machina, Link's Awakening
November- Pokemon Sword & Shield
And Luigi's Mansion 3 either in October or December, I assume. Which means just one month without a big 1st or 2nd party title.

Plus a few other 3rd party 2019 titles, like the Panzer Dragoon remake, Wolfenstein: Young Blood, Dauntless, Hollow Knight: Silksong, My Name is Pedro, Witcher Complete Edition,  and Resi 5, all of which I thought looked good, too.

So, yeah, no big surprises for this year, but a very solid lineup.   

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on June 11, 2019, 07:29:07 PM
That was shithouse.

Is that bad? I don't understand the lingo of men a couple of years younger than me.

brat-sampson

Reading more about cadence, it looks like it's still a roguelike, with randomized overworld and procedural dungeons. Which I'm sure is still great fun, but have to admit I was kinda hoping they'd managed to turn it into a real structured campaign.

Fry

What's this Mana Collection stuff all about? Is it any good? Always after a cheeky JRPG I am, was about to buy FF7 yet again but if there's something new...

Loved Luigi twatting a ghost with another ghost. Loved that glimpse of Animal Crossing, specially loved being a big ol' bloke with loads of pubes and muscles and not squeeing over how cute it was. I'm all about contra mate what you talking about.

Fire Emblem looking good, never played any fire emblem games, or anything like it really. If it gets good reviews probably pick it up.

Well up for more Hollow Knight too.

madhair60

Quote from: Fry on June 12, 2019, 03:28:42 AM
What's this Mana Collection stuff all about? Is it any good?

Yes mate. Even if it was just Seiken Densetsu 3 (Trials of Mana) it would be £35 well spent. Fabulous, grabulous, zip-zoop-zabulous game.

Timothy

Weak Direct. Lots of old ports and remakes with a Zelda tease at the end to make it interesting. Animal Crossing looks quite bad, the Witcher looked like a bad port, Contra game looked dated, Alien Isolation.... that game is old. Only interesting game was Luigi's Mansion.

And Link Awakening will be 60 euros. 60 euros for a remake. Come on Nintendo.

Would hoped that this Direct would make me buy a Switch again but guess not.

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on June 13, 2019, 08:01:55 AM
Weak Direct. Lots of old ports and remakes with a Zelda tease at the end to make it interesting. Animal Crossing looks quite bad, the Witcher looked like a bad port, Contra game looked dated, Alien Isolation.... that game is old. Only interesting game was Luigi's Mansion.

And Link Awakening will be 60 euros. 60 euros for a remake. Come on Nintendo.

Would hoped that this Direct would make me buy a Switch again but guess not.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. It was not all ports and remakes, even if the new games are not to your taste. I cant be arsed writing them all out again, but there are 6-7 new Nintendo games out this year. That may not be enough in your eyes, they may not be interesting in your eyes, they may need more original 3rd party games or system exclusives, they may need fewer sequels, but there is a new nintendo game almost every month, and the one remake (Link's Awakening) comes out on the same month as a brand new series, Daemon X.

madhair60

Thinking back on it, it is weird just how much retro-tinged stuff it was focused on, but realistially it wasn't a weak Direct. It was game after game after game.

colacentral

Animal Crossing doesn't look "quite bad", it looks like Animal Crossing.

You really do have to be looking to complain to have issues with that direct, or have absurdly unrealistic expectations. There's tons to look forward to and a good variety of games.

And so what about ports? They're handheld versions and nobody has time to play everything that comes out so there's bound to be something to catch up on with the switch versions. How tiresome it must be having such a negative mindset.