Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:02:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I really like Timothy and find his opinions to be the exact opposite to mine all the time. Sometimes I think he's an actual perfect troll nemesis, even his choice of vocabulary seems designed to twist the knife or make me shake my head, I have honestly wondered whether it's someone trying to get me back for saying stupid stuff, he's pretty much my perfect opposite. He's even a lot more chilled and unflappable than me, and he's always really understanding when I lose my fuckin shit and this basically makes me more paranoid that he's playing a part specifically to break me down. No doubt he'll be howling with laughter at this and chalking up yet another fuckin win. Maybe I'm being mildly narcissistic. I dunno.

Twed

I love negativity, especially when it's aimed at things I love. It raises discussions points and you can do banters and it's great.

Thursday

Quote from: Twed on June 13, 2019, 08:39:17 PM
I love negativity, especially when it's aimed at things I love. It raises discussions points and you can do banters and it's great.

Disagree, I just want to avoid conflict and have my opinions, reinforced.

Kelvin

This is turning into The Argument sketch.

Thursday

Quote from: Thursday on June 13, 2019, 08:55:38 PM
Disagree, I just want to avoid conflict and have my opinions, reinforced.

I know him, and he does.

Timothy

Quote from: colacentral on June 13, 2019, 07:35:40 PM
You really do have to be looking to complain to have issues with that direct, or have absurdly unrealistic expectations. There's tons to look forward to and a good variety of games.
And so what about ports? They're handheld versions and nobody has time to play everything that comes out so there's bound to be something to catch up on with the switch versions. How tiresome it must be having such a negative mindset.

I admit that I might have overreacted a bit after the Direct ended because I was disappointed (and I had had quite a shitty day). There are indeed a few games coming up that I might like such as Fire Emblem, Mario Maker and Luigi's Mansion. The new No More Heroes might be good too, but I was one of the few that pre-ordered the Travis Strikes Again game and that game was sooo bad that my initial reaction to seeing Travis was a negative one.

Not an Animal Crossing fan and this game seemed quite bare-bones though.

I think the initial negative reaction was mainly because I was looking at all these games and realized how much of them I either already played (finished Alien Isolation, Witcher, Mana, Resident Evil, Dragon Quest), that some of them looked quite bad (Witcher and Panzer), that most of the third party games (Wolfenstein, Doom) are games I already pre-ordered for the PS4 and that I indeed had quite a negative mindset that day.

So indeed, it's more on me then on Nintendo. The lineup is quite good. If you only own a Switch or if you rather play your games on the go then docked then the line-up is stacked.
I guess the Switch is just not the console for me since I only played it docked.

What I do dislike is the fact that that Zelda remake is full price. That's just not right. And that they teased Banjo, only for it to be DLC. I want a new Banjo game!

Quote from: The Boston Crab on June 13, 2019, 08:29:41 PM
I really like Timothy and find his opinions to be the exact opposite to mine all the time. Sometimes I think he's an actual perfect troll nemesis, even his choice of vocabulary seems designed to twist the knife or make me shake my head, I have honestly wondered whether it's someone trying to get me back for saying stupid stuff, he's pretty much my perfect opposite. He's even a lot more chilled and unflappable than me, and he's always really understanding when I lose my fuckin shit and this basically makes me more paranoid that he's playing a part specifically to break me down. No doubt he'll be howling with laughter at this and chalking up yet another fuckin win. Maybe I'm being mildly narcissistic. I dunno.

Don't worry, not playing a part and not someone who is trying to get back to you. Just a gamer with a mindset that's completely the opposite. But I quite like that to be honest. We have great discussions here, like the one in the Sekiro topic. And thanks to you there a lot of great games I'd never heard about that I really enjoyed playing. :D

madhair60

Quote from: colacentral on June 13, 2019, 07:35:40 PMYou really do have to be looking to complain to have issues with that direct, or have absurdly unrealistic expectations. There's tons to look forward to and a good variety of games.

Nonsense. While I thought it was a good Direct in terms of volume, there was a lot that I can quite reasonably find fault with from my perspective. Yet another sword anime in Smash Bros. A cascade of nostalgia bait with Panzer Dragoon (which I've never liked) and No More Fucking Heroes 3 (an embarrassing series through and through). Tons of stuff we've already seen, including that baffling continued push for that Marvel game that looks like utter dross. Shitloads of ports and sequels, and no big "wow" moment except a sequel to BOTW which, while it will no doubt be superb, isn't of any interest to me.

I came away from that Direct impressed by the presentation, but not exactly excited for the Switch's future.

Yeah, there was barely anything there that was exciting for me. I played Links Awakening to death when it first came out, so the remake will need a bit more than DIY dungeons for me to play it again. I'm not really into JRPGs, don't like Pokemon, didn't like the Daemon demo so that doesn't leave much to pick through.

That's the problem with Nintendo platforms. They make amazing games but if their release schedule doesn't have anything that matches with your tastes, you can go for months without playing anything. That and they really don't know how to price some of their games. £40 for Sushi Striker? Really?

The good news is that Nintendo tend to spring Directs and Nindie (ugh) updates out of nowhere so I don't doubt there will be something announced later that I'll want to play this year and third parties have a habit of just chucking stuff up on the eShop without any fanfare too.

Kelvin

Quote from: Timothy on June 14, 2019, 08:59:18 AM
And that they teased Banjo, only for it to be DLC. I want a new Banjo game!

In fairness, they only teased it in the context of a Smash Trailer. If anything, the fact Microsoft and Nintendo are working so (relatively) closely now makes the chance of a Banjo port or maybe even the Rare Replay collection seem feasible on Switch.

Kelvin

Surprisingly, after watching footage of all the upcoming Nintendo titles, I'm very happy with all of them, but it's Luigi's Mansion that's most impressed. It's improved graphically leaps and bounds since it's reveal, and I've seen enough to know its far closer to the original game than the watered down sequel, Dark Moon.

In fact, some of the stuff they showed on the treehouse stream looked really impressive. If you haven't played the original game, I suggest watching the below to get a better idea of the puzzles and atmosphere. It gets really good around the 10 minute mark, when luigi explores the blue screen film sets:

https://youtu.be/Q6p-3VwcD6c?t=605

madhair60

Dark Moon was absolutely brilliant, mind, even watered down. I preferred its bitesize puzzle-box style to the original, personally.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on June 14, 2019, 01:58:23 PM
Dark Moon was absolutely brilliant, mind, even watered down. I preferred its bitesize puzzle-box style to the original, personally.

The original had the puzzle box style, though - each main room was a different puzzle or idea. I just loved the sense you were exploring a mansion at will. Bar a couple of occasions when you had to trudge back through it all, I thought it was great with that structure.

New game looks to be a mix of both. 20+ floors of a hotel, most of them themed differently, so still a bit more linear than the original, but without Luigi getting pulled out after each mission, or splitting himself between different locations, as in Dark Moon. Looks perfect. I just hope they keep it a short, tight, dense experience without loads of padding. I'd much rather replay a short game packed with ideas, than have a 30 hour slog through the same puzzles and ideas and themes over and over again. That brevity is one of the many things that makes Luigi's Mansion so brilliant.         

madhair60

To be fair if I went back to Luigi's Mansion now I would most likely agree with you. I'm a little bummed that they opted to re-release it on the 3DS rather than the Switch, as the latter would have been a bit of a boon for the system in the dry months.

At the time I thought the reframing of Dark Moon was a stroke of genius and I still think it's a joyous game.

My only problem with Luigi's Mansion 3 is deciding if I want to use my remaining Game Voucher on it, Pokémon or Link's Awakening.

Word to the wise: It's usually cheaper to buy digital games from CDKeys than it is by using those Nintendo vouchers, unless you're looking at the £59.99 ones. Plus you can buy them one at a time instead of having to spunk £84 in one go, and you don't need to be a member of Nintendo Online.

Beagle 2

I can't understand why I love direct Zelda rip off Blossom Tales so much when I've never managed to enjoy a single Zelda game.

Subliminal hebo messages?

madhair60

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 14, 2019, 06:39:46 PM
I can't understand why I love direct Zelda rip off Blossom Tales so much when I've never managed to enjoy a single Zelda game.

Brain problems?

Kelvin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on June 14, 2019, 06:39:46 PM

Do you not even like Link to the Past? That's the one Blossom Tales is most influenced by, I think.

Beagle 2

Virtua Racing is addictive as shit. Reminds me of when I bought Ridge Racer Type 4 and spent far more time playing the Ridge Racer remaster that was included free, trying to shave milliseconds off my best lap time.

Quote from: Beagle 2 on July 04, 2019, 10:56:21 PM
Virtua Racing is addictive as shit. Reminds me of when I bought Ridge Racer Type 4 and spent far more time playing the Ridge Racer remaster that was included free, trying to shave milliseconds off my best lap time.

It really is brilliant, collision and physics quirks and all. It can get quite deep too if you play Grand Prix mode as you then have pit stops to think about as the tyres degrade over time.

MojoJojo

Switch Lite confirmed.

madhair60

Jerzy Bondov

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Shit Switch more like. It's a handheld, so it doesn't have to fit into a dock. Why haven't they added grips at the back to make it more ergonomic? It's still the same slab of uncomfortable flat plastic.

They call me mellow yellow. Quite LITEly.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on July 10, 2019, 04:47:23 PM
Shit Switch more like. It's a handheld, so it doesn't have to fit into a dock. Why haven't they added grips at the back to make it more ergonomic? It's still the same slab of uncomfortable flat plastic.

Because design language and also because you wouldn't want hand grips designed for ten year old Japanese boys. Best to wait for a third party solution like the Satisfye .

Jerzy Bondov

Looks like a Vita but it has Slay the Spire. Day one purchase

Thursday

You can't play it on your TV, which is the best way to play video games, so no point.