Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:47:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hewantstolurkatad

Yep, Mario looks great and that hat has tons of potential. Christmas release will do a lot to get the console sales going again at Christmas.

Conference is picking up a good bit but they really should have opened with the Mario trailer.
So what was the atlus thing? I feel like I should have known?

Kelvin

That's not good. Looks like Skyrim isn't even the HD version. It seems to be the original version, which is years old now.

Happy to see a new Grasshopper game, though.

hewantstolurkatad

This translator is unusually bad, right?

Urinal Cake

Creators of Persona etc which is a cult JRPG series usually they reserve this IP for Sony Consoles and Nintendo handhelds.

hewantstolurkatad

Oh I know who atlus are, I just assumed the text at the end had more than "we're making a new game, fuck knows what atm, mind"

Kelvin

I hate to say it, but outside of Mario and Zelda, they haven't shown anything that I feel will really move the needle in terms of sales[nb]outside of the loyal Nintendo base.[/nb]. Nothing from Retro, no big exciting surprises. Even several of the persistent rumours, like Rabbids v Mario never turned up. It was basically the two expected heavy hitters, and nothing else. Triple A 3rd party support looks non-existent.   

fit bird

atlus thing was shin megami tensei.

Kelvin

Zelda is launch game. What was release date for Mario?

edit: holiday 2017.

They better be holding onto some stuff for E3, or they're already looking at a pretty empty slate this first year.

Twed

It really was the minimum of all expectations.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on January 13, 2017, 05:10:36 AM
It really was the minimum of all expectations.

Yep. It was the two big games and almost nothing else. Splatoon 2, I guess, and a few announcement trailers that didn't even look far enough along to show gameplay. Not encouraged by that. I really think they've dropped the ball again.

edit: they didn't even give a date for mario kart deluxe. Actually press release says april 2017 for mario kart

edit: xenoblade 2, i guess. I loved the last one so much. I just feel they haven't shown anything to win over non-nintendo fans

Urinal Cake

It's more about Atlus is finally doing something  for the Nintendo home console. It promises to be something more ambitious than anything they have so far on Playstation (which focuses on story and character) or the 3DS (which focuses on gameplay).

I think the controllers are going to be the death knell of this console. Nintendo fans are used to weak launches but the hardware functionality usually promises of greater games to come and still sells units. I don't see what the mini-chucks are going to achieve.

Shay Chaise

Well, I quite enjoyed that. Zelda and Mario look fantastic. Mario in particular was like something out of an excited conversation you had with your mates as a kid. Not interested in the motion stuff at all though it was quite amusing. MK 8.5 will surely come around launch. Skyrim will be good. I feel a bit depressed because I'm so tired. Night.

Twed

Rewatched the Mario bit. That's filled me with dismay, actually. So much of it set in real-world New York. No. Don't do that. Don't even do that. There were real humans walking around Mario. No. No, don't do that. Hello? No. Notendo. Do not.

Also Bowser stealing the princess and trying to marry her. Great. So it's going to go against the grain of modern values, and we'll have to watch Twitter shitstorms with feminists versus Nintendo. Again.

Good job Nintendo. Take Mario and put him in the real world with New Yorkers and social justice outrage. Fantastic escapism, 10/10 excellent work.

Kelvin

christ. $50 for a single joy-con left or right, $70 for a pro controller.

idiots. They haven't got a clue

Beagle 2

So what's this subscription thing I'm reading about, is that a PS+ type service, access to old games, just access to online, what?

GTA Mario looked all kinds of wrong but let's face it, it will be fucking brilliant, don't try and pretend otherwise.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Kelvin on January 13, 2017, 05:25:39 AM
christ. $50 for a single joy-con left or right

Haha, what??

Twed

It better come with two. Imagine that. Imagine it only coming with one by default. At this point, we can all imagine that.

Kelvin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 13, 2017, 05:27:50 AM
So what's this subscription thing I'm reading about, is that a PS+ type service, access to old games, just access to online, what?

Apparently its for online play, starting august (free until then). Once it starts you get a free classic nintendo game every month, from nes of snes era.

no mention of gamecube virtual console games, which was heavily rumoured. Why not mention that, if its real? Why not even mention virtual console?

Lot of info coming out now. Why wasn't it part of the presentation

Quote from: Twed on January 13, 2017, 05:30:57 AM
It better come with two. Imagine that. Imagine it only coming with one by default. At this point, we can all imagine that.

It will come with two, and probably that shit joy grip thing. The pro controller at $70 is ridiculous. A massive turn off for gamers who want a traditional controller

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on January 13, 2017, 05:34:11 AM
The pro controller at $70 is ridiculous. A massive turn off for gamers who want a traditional controller
And it will still be made from Kinder Egg toy plastic and feel like it's entirely hollow.

Shay Chaise

Mazza Kazza coming April 28th.

Twed

A deluxe version of a 2014 game.

Kelvin

Quote from: Twed on January 13, 2017, 05:37:48 AM
A deluxe version of a 2014 game.

Better than skyrim. It wasn't even the HD version, its the original version. Why would anyone buy that version in 2017?

Beagle 2

Quote from: Kelvin on January 13, 2017, 05:34:11 AM
Apparently its for online play, starting august (free until then). Once it starts you get a free classic nintendo game every month, from nes of snes era.

no mention of gamecube virtual console games, which was heavily rumoured. Why not mention that, if its real? Why not even mention virtual console?

Surely there'll be GC and Wii games, and to be honest I thought NES and SNES games would all be available for free anyway with the subscription.

I'm so naive.

Twed

Quote from: Kelvin on January 13, 2017, 05:38:58 AM

Better than skyrim. It wasn't even the HD version, its the original version. Why would anyone buy that version in 2017?
I think they genuinely thought that we'd be too blown away by the control method replicating the two-handed style of play that we wouldn't notice.

Kelvin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 13, 2017, 05:41:30 AM
Surely there'll be GC and Wii games, and to be honest I thought NES and SNES games would all be available for free anyway with the subscription.

I'm so naive.

I think the subscription thing is for the online access, with a free nes/snes game every month[nb]Not sure if you can choose what game, or they choose for it.[/nb] The virtual console isn't subscription I don't think (at least that I've heard). 

Kelvin

They have to have a lot for E3, but they needed to have a really impressive reveal and they totally flubbed it.

It makes me sad. Obviously we'll get great Nintendo games as always, but I seriously worry that this is the wii U launch all over again, with no reach beyond the faithful, and therefore signals the early death throes of Nintendo as a hardware maker.

Kelvin

Have to admit, I'm excited for this:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rRxBcvobpc

New bomberman game for launch.

few other trailers coming out:

Mario Kart Deluxe (extended) trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Srppfvmqg

Super Mario Odyssey:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZklMXOjWw2k&feature=youtu.be&a

Zelda BOTW trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWNWw-vUbBQ

Splatoon 2 trailer:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-kaJXLWghM&t=4s

ARMS trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfFglqsAQTA

ARMS is a platinum game, apparently, although I assume it was made in conjunction with Nintendo.

Shay Chaise

Do you really think that Skyrim is OG? Looked very much more like the PS4 Special Edition to me.

The slight launch line up doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's standard for consoles these days. I'll be getting it for Zelda and when the rest comes, great. At least there are some enormous titles in the pipeline. Ultimately, no matter what they say about the 3DS, this is now Nintendo's only console. Everything Nintendo is going to come out for it. If this is a Zelda box til then, I'm happy with that.

I also still have the bulk of the Wii U catalogue to play, as I only got that six months ago or so.

Shay Chaise

But yeah, seems there's quite a bit of news now released which didn't make the presentation, for whatever reason.

It seems they wanted to have more third party producers give verbal support than spend the time showing third party titles. I also didn't expect or particularly need as much/any motion stuff, though the HD haptics stuff sounds cool. I suppose they wanted to hammer home the USP stuff to the suits, rather than toss more crumbs to the shitmunchers.