Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:56:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Nintendo Switch

Started by Kelvin, January 11, 2017, 06:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Shay Chaise on January 13, 2017, 05:53:49 AM
Do you really think that Skyrim is OG? Looked very much more like the PS4 Special Edition to me.

They never mentioned HD (which surely they would have), and it looked like the old version to me.

QuoteThe slight launch line up doesn't bother me in the slightest. It's standard for consoles these days. I'll be getting it for Zelda and when the rest comes, great. At least there are some enormous titles in the pipeline. Ultimately, no matter what they say about the 3DS, this is now Nintendo's only console. Everything Nintendo is going to come out for it. If this is a Zelda box til then, I'm happy with that.

I also still have the bulk of the Wii U catalogue to play, as I only got that six months ago or so.

I'm a true Nintendo fanboy. They're my favourite company in the world. I truly love their games. When I talk about the bad launch line up, I don't mean for me, I mean that they haven't shown anything that would win over new people, or draw back people who have left for other consoles. They needed to wow those gamers, those lapsed fans. They needed to have a show that blew their socks off and a lineup that made you believe that you wouldn't be waiting months and months between big, significant titles. I'll be fine with Splatoon 2, Bomberman, Mario, Zelda, virtual console, Mario kart, fire emblem, etc, but that's not a lineup to win over non-Nintendo fans. They utterly failed to deliver anything that would entice those people, beyond Mario and Zelda.   

Even I'm pissed off by the price of a pro-controller - which is a must for most gamers who don't want the crappy joy-cons or joygrip controllers.   

Quote from: Kelvin on January 13, 2017, 06:07:56 AM
They never mentioned HD (which surely they would have), and it looked like the old version to me.

I'm a true Nintendo fanboy. They're my favourite company in the world. I truly love their games. When I talk about the bad launch line up, I don't mean for me, I mean that they haven't shown anything that would win over new people, or draw back people who have left for other consoles. They needed to wow those gamers, those lapsed fans. They needed to have a show that blew their socks off and a lineup that made you believe that you wouldn't be waiting months and months between big, significant titles. I'll be fine with Splatoon 2, Bomberman, Mario, Zelda, virtual console, Mario kart, fire emblem, etc, but that's not a lineup to win over non-Nintendo fans. They utterly failed to deliver anything that would entice those people, beyond Mario and Zelda.   

Even I'm pissed off by the price of a pro-controller - which is a must for most gamers who don't want the crappy joy-cons or joygrip controllers.

You sound a bit negative for a 'true fanboy'...how do you know what 'non nintendo fans' want? There's no such thing as an 'any console' fan...people just like good games, and there are no better games than Nintendo games.

Have some faith.

Beagle 2

To be fair though, a mate of mine came to my house a couple of years back who never plays games at all and was just transfixed my Mario Kart 8 and sat playing it the whole time. I'm excited by the prospect of being able to stick this thing in my bag and take it to friends' houses to spread the word that video games are quite good. I guess that sounds sad, but it is a selling point for me.

Kelvin

Quote from: captaincockring on January 13, 2017, 06:13:44 AM
You sound a bit negative for a 'true fanboy'...

Maybe fanboy's the wrong word, as that tends to suggest unwavering, unquestioning praise. I'm a life-long fan, if you prefer that. I love Nintendo games, I love their consoles, I love their approach to games. I'm also acutely aware of how hopeless they are at marketing. 

Quotehow do you know what 'non nintendo fans' want?
By looking at what consoles have been massively popular for the last few years, and what sets those apart from the declining Nintendo platforms. Wii is the obvious exception to this, but then that appealed to non-gamers who have since moved onto mobile.

QuoteThere's no such thing as an 'anything' fan...people just like good games, and there are no better games than Nintendo games.

Which explains why every Nintendo console has dropped in sales since the SNES, with the exception of the aforementioned wii.

QuoteHave some faith.

I'm just calling it like I see it. I know I'll love the console and the games, I always do; they're brilliant. I just worry what it signals for Nintendo's future, if they can't persuade non-fans to buy it, too.

Urinal Cake

Well Nintendo are hoping there'll be enough multiplayer and co-op games to sell this thing. This press-conference did not seem to show that. But I expect the Hat in Mario Odyssey to be used for some co-op or geolocation role.

Kelvin

Quote from: Beagle 2 on January 13, 2017, 06:16:53 AM
To be fair though, a mate of mine came to my house a couple of years back who never plays games at all and was just transfixed my Mario Kart 8 and sat playing it the whole time. I'm excited by the prospect of being able to stick this thing in my bag and take it to friends' houses to spread the word that video games are quite good. I guess that sounds sad, but it is a selling point for me.

I'm surprised they didn't spend more time focussing on the portablity aspect, and the ways to play it with friends and in different places, and much less on the wii-style motion controls. It felt like they wanted to appeal to "casual" wii gamers again, but in the process totally mis-messaged to traditional gamers.

Thursday

Just catching up I would have hoped for one or two more launch window games, but I'm happy with that and it's out my birthday, so it just seems too perfect to not book a long weekend off work for.

Eight Taiwanese Teenagers

Jeez, if Kelvin's not excited it must be a disappointment. It's his enthusiasm which led to me getting a Wii U in the first place.

I'll just get Zelda on the Wii U and wait it out... TBH I expect I'll be tempted by a PSBox or whatever unless Nintendo bucks its ideas up.

biggytitbo

is the £280 including Zelda? It's a lot isn't it?

Kelvin convinces the entire of CaB not to get a Switch...what a fanboy!!!

madhair60

I've gone from Day One to Probably Never after that pish weak showing.

Jesus...it's almost like you've never seen a Nintendo console launch before...did you really imagine this time would be any different?

Why don't you all just wait and see what happens?

madhair60

buntyman

Gutted, should have ordered it when gameseek were doing a guaranteed pre order price of £199

madhair60

I just want to add that Nintendo charging for online is fucking hilarious. They have the worst online services and infrastructure fucking ever. The original Xbox was better for online gaming for christ's sake. I just hope people get what they pay for. Nintendo have got to take a step forward, the last hardware of theirs to hold its own against the competition was the Gamecube. I fucking loved (and still love) my Wii, I love my 3DS, but going online with those things is an ordeal and the Wii U was much the same. Now that they have an account system and are actually charging for competitive multiplayer, they need to fix that shit up.

Ignatius_S

Another No More Heroes game has me sold.

Although I will confess disappointment over the price, because of widespread price increases that look inevitable (and already have started) not wildly surprised.

Quote from: buntyman on January 13, 2017, 08:39:14 AM
Gutted, should have ordered it when gameseek were doing a guaranteed pre order price of £199

Gameseek doesn't have a very good reputation and I would hesitant to assume that all those pre-orders would be honoured and what timescales for the ones that are. FWIW, there was a neogaf thread about the site at the time of the preorders.

The Gameseek price was what a basic version of the Switch was rumoured going to be - paying upfront months ahead of release, or a proper reveal of the product for that matter, was going to be a gamble. No point kicking yourself over hindsight.

madhair60

I played the first No More Heroes and it was wretched. No idea what I missed there.

The Masked Unit

The NYC bits in Mario make it look like a (barely) HD Sonic Adventure. Game as a whole looks great though.

Had a pre-order in my basket but didn't pull the trigger once I realised all I was interested in at launch is Zelda. Will probably pick one up eventually once that and Mario are out and the price has come down a bit. Some time in 2018 then.

That was a stale/awkward as fuck presentation wasn't it. Should've let the yanks do it along with Miamoto and the Zelda bloke.

Urinal Cake

Hell nah, Reggie has less charisma than the average Republican politician. I much prefer awkward enthusiasm.

The console price is going to fuck them over, unless they price games nearer to 3DS prices.

imitationleather

Hmm... Sounds like I made the right choice going for a 3DS rather than waiting it out until March. Maybe I'll ask Santa for this in Christmas 2018.

Shay Chaise

I'm going to be playing it day one and rubbing it in all you losers' fucking faces. I'll then be waiting eight months for the next game I buy.

brat-sampson

I want to want this, and good lord that Zelda trailer was *incredible*. But... Will I be able to afford/justify spending £280 (or local equiv) + let's say around £45 for the game and likely nothing else at launch? It's not an easy sell at that price. Especially as I've already got a Wii U so might as well just get it for that. And in the future I have Mario to look forward to, don't care about Skyrim and maybe a couple of 'Wii Sports' level titles to show off to people (that 1-2-Switch had *better* be a pack-in...)

I don't care about the cost of extra Joy-cons, just stick to the two it came with and think of it like any other portable ever where the idea of buying extra people's shit for it barely makes any sense. Cost of the Pro is a bummer though, I swear I eventually got my Wii U one for around £30 and frankly it has almost exactly the same buttons/layout. Bar, what, a Share button? Gimme a break.

buntyman

I've just caught up with all the released info and given the initial optimism over the price of this thing, this announcement is a real disappointment. I thought it would be quite possible to get the console and a game for about £250 but based on rrps, it's going to be £340 for the Switch plus Zelda. £59.99 rrp for a game is almost enough to put me off the Switch altogether. I'd put aside £200 to go towards getting one of these but that's not looking like it'll go very far any more.
Not that I would get one anyway but this price is an outrage http://game-online.at/cookdandbombd?DURL=http://www.game.co.uk/en/joy-con-right-grey-1712309
I have Zelda pre-ordered for the Wii U for £30 so I might just stick with that as I can't imagine there's might difference with the Switch version - graphics for the Switch look basically identical to Wii U. The paid subscription for online gaming also isn't great news. I wonder when they'll close off the free Wii U servers for Splatoon, Mario Kart and Mario Maker.

For now I've got the console pre-ordered but I'm going to need convincing not to cancel over the next few week. I thought the Mario Odyssey trailer looked pretty ugly and lacked the characteristic Nintendo visual style. It might turn out to be really good but does look a bit too Sonic Adventurey - he's even nicked Sonic's spin attack!

Kelvin

Quote from: Eight Taiwanese Teenagers on January 13, 2017, 07:22:58 AM
Jeez, if Kelvin's not excited it must be a disappointment. It's his enthusiasm which led to me getting a Wii U in the first place.

In fairness, I was even less enthusiastic about the Wii U initially. It was the first Nintendo console I didn't buy at launch, and it was only when Mario Kart 8 came out a year later that I finally bought one. As I've said already, I actually think that, for me, this console has enough games to justify a launch day purchase. Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon 2, Bomberman R, maybe ARMS, that's good enough for me year one.

My concerns are for the console's wider appeal. I've seen enough to know I'll enjoy it, but very little that makes me think it can reach beyond the fans. Its not just about quality of games, it's about quantity of quality. PS4 and XBox One have a big triple A title out every month, often several out every month. Once again, we're looking at a Nintendo console with a big game out every 2-3 months... several of which are updated ports. As I say, I'm not worried about me finding games to enjoy, I'm worried about what it means for the console's reach and for Nintendo's future.         

wasp_f15ting

I've pre-ordered.. but £75.00 for the tiny controllers..

Are they taking the mick?

Ignatius_S

Quote from: madhair60 on January 13, 2017, 09:23:11 AM
I played the first No More Heroes and it was wretched. No idea what I missed there.

Well, you'll be pleased that reports of NMH 3 had jumped the gun and what was being announced was a new game

Pleased but wrong.

Quote from: imitationleather on January 13, 2017, 11:21:22 AM
Hmm... Sounds like I made the right choice going for a 3DS rather than waiting it out until March. Maybe I'll ask Santa for this in Christmas 2018.

Two very different propositions – the 3DS is a mature platform with a large (and excellent) back catalogue, which will continue to be supported. The Switch is, well, not that.

Quote from: brat-sampson on January 13, 2017, 11:55:40 AM... (that 1-2-Switch had *better* be a pack-in...)...

Totally agree, but very much doubt it *sigh*.

Quote from: brat-sampson on January 13, 2017, 11:55:40 AM....Cost of the Pro is a bummer though, I swear I eventually got my Wii U one for around £30 and frankly it has almost exactly the same buttons/layout. Bar, what, a Share button? Gimme a break.

Controller cost is always pricey, just one of those things (although I was more willing to play £20...)

Quote from: buntyman on January 13, 2017, 11:56:23 AM.... £59.99 rrp for a game is almost enough to put me off the Switch altogether...

The price is more likely around what brat-sampson says – Game Collection and Coolshop are already listing it for £50. Combined with the console, it's still high but most retailers don't sell games for RRP.

Quote from: buntyman on January 13, 2017, 11:56:23 AM....I have Zelda pre-ordered for the Wii U for £30 so I might just stick with that as I can't imagine there's might difference with the Switch version - graphics for the Switch look basically identical to Wii U...

I suspect performance will be better on the Switch.

Quote from: buntyman on January 13, 2017, 11:56:23 AM... I wonder when they'll close off the free Wii U servers for Splatoon, Mario Kart and Mario Maker....

I would guess a couple of years, maybe more.

For multiplayer games like Splatoon, I'm pretty sure that the servers are used for matchmaking, but the game run in P2P – as did the Wii. The Wii's online play was closed because the company operating the matchmaking servers, closed it operations and Nintendo decided not to do provider an alternative.

lazarou

Quote from: Kelvin on January 13, 2017, 05:44:55 AM
I think the subscription thing is for the online access, with a free nes/snes game every month[nb]Not sure if you can choose what game, or they choose for it.[/nb] The virtual console isn't subscription I don't think (at least that I've heard).
Just to clear this up, from what I've been hearing they choose the game, and it's yours for one month only, after which they offer a new game instead. Absolute bollocks.

wasp_f15ting

Hopefully they will change the sub model.. seems like whoever is consulting Nintendo on this is smoking crack.

Junglist

Jesus Christ enjoy your soon to be broken hands

Kelvin

Quote from: lazarou on January 13, 2017, 02:09:25 PM
Just to clear this up, from what I've been hearing they choose the game, and it's yours for one month only, after which they offer a new game instead. Absolute bollocks.

Yeah, that's ridiculous. With a console this (seemingly) under powered, they had to offer up a good price point, but console, games, controllers, and online are all gonna add up. It's already probably in the area of £450 for the console, an extra contoller, one game and online. At a time when the more powerful consoles are all seeing price drops.