Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:42:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

clipping.

Started by Blue Jam, January 12, 2017, 07:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Any fans here? I was introduced to them by a friend who said they sounded unlike any hip hop act before, and that it wasn't clear who their influences were or how the hell they had combined to make them sound the way they do, and he wasn't wrong.

Some not-really-worksafe videos:

wriggle. Probably the only hip hop track to ever sample lyrics which are about Michael Barrymore's pool. Best listened to through some properly bassy speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5msWb1l2j6g

Body And Blood. About a sexy torturer/murderer/cannibal. The wet-sounding beats are appropriately, fantastically creepy. Censored-but-still-disturbing version of the video here, and I love the way it's been censored and how that somehow also takes the piss out of censorship. IMO it's better than the original video (which is on Vimeo if you want to check out the bewbs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuto-ksyDmQ

All Black. This one is less NSFW but still an atmospheric, claustrophobic sci-fi narrative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwN8WVEy_H8

Rocket Surgery

It is, indeed, clipping bitch.

Replying before actually clicking on any of the links posted, so this is based purely off how I felt when I first heard them a few years ago:

Frustrated by how pedestrian the MC is. The potential for a noise/rap crossover has fascinated me for as long as I can remember, with a logical lineage existing at least within my own head from the Bomb Squad via Dalek to Death Grips and just aching for someone to push it over the line... but I just found myself wishing there was more going on vocally and lyrically. Saying "bitch" a lot doesn't automatically make you hardcore.

Did like a fair bit of the rhythmic racket backing him up, though. Going to dig into these links and possibly be back in a bit to eat my own words.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on January 12, 2017, 07:23:38 PM
Frustrated by how pedestrian the MC is.

I completely agree. Musically they're excellent but the vocals are decidedly middle-of-the-road. Still, it's great to see this sort of weirdo industrial hip hop on the rise.

You've already mentioned Dalek and Death Grips whom I love, but have you heard B L A C K I E? Definitely high on the scale of experimental and confrontational rap. He's fucking excellent.

Rocket Surgery

Well your man on the mic has definitely upped his game technically since the last I heard of him, and 'wriggle' has the unique distinction of being the only time using a Whitehouse sample has made someone sound like less of a sexist moron. So well done on that count.

As for B L A C K I E... holy shit I'll have to get back to you on that.

slavestate

If you enjoy the industrial / noise hip hop mentioned above I heartily recommend H09909s

Seeing HO99O9 supporting Dillenger in a couple of weeks. I'll be sure to be there early enough to catch the support

Rocket Surgery

If someone with mad computer skillz wants to edit 'wriggle' so that the "wriggle like a fish, boy" refrain is replaced by John Cleese's haughty schoolmaster from The Meaning Of Life demanding "what's wrong with a kiss, boy?" I'd probably marry you.

boki

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on January 13, 2017, 10:43:17 AM
Seeing HO99O9 supporting Dillenger in a couple of weeks. I'll be sure to be there early enough to catch the support
Saw this very bill in Nottingham last night, and really enjoyed ho99o9 - I think it's something that's better experienced live[nb]Which is also kinda how I feel about DEP, too.  Especially brought home how ace Greg Puciato is as a vocalist[/nb], particularly cos there's such a heavy hardcore punk element to their sound.

Tried listening to clipping. a while ago when Louder Than War were championing them, and gave Dalek a go a few years ago too, but nothing really stuck with me.  On paper, a noise/hip-hop hybrid should really appeal to me, but I've never really been that taken with what I've heard so far.