Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:01:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Speechless (Another US Sitcom, quite good, nothing amazing etc)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 12, 2017, 09:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

So why am I starting a thread about it given the title? I don't know, except that I'm oddly fond of this show despite it being what you'd mostly expect from a network comedy, albeit one of the better ones. Ahem, okay, I'll stop doing this now. Anyway, it's all about a crazy family where one of the kids has cerebral palsy, and they hire a sassy black man (Reno 911!'s Cedric Yarbrough) to speak for him. Minnie Driver's the overbearing mother whilst Barry from The Big Bang Theory is the Dad who no longer gives a fuck what the world thinks of the family. And I know, it sounds like it should be fucking awful, but somehow it's turned out okay. They do overplay the "Look how fucking amazing the kid is despite the fact that he has cerebal palsy" part a little bit, and Driver can be a little too frantic, but it's a self aware show and does address such issues, and it does make me laugh a fair bit. Plus it gives the other kids in the family sub-plots as well, most of which are pretty fun.

I might regret starting this thread as I'm only three episodes in so far (and the second wasn't that great), but it's providing enough laughs to stick with for the time being, and at least it's not the US version of All About Me which it could so easily have turned out to be in the wrong hands.

Serge

How the hell do you find time to watch every single new comedy made in the USA? HOW??

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Serge on January 12, 2017, 10:10:10 PM
How the hell do you find time to watch every single new comedy made in the USA? HOW??

The boring answer is that my knee's really fucked at the moment and I spend most of the day lying in bed messing around on the net, reading comics and watching tv. Once I've recovered from the operation I'll definitely be cutting down though, and I'm looking forward to doing so!

Serge

I'm intrigued by this one though, as I've never seen John Ross Bowie in anything outside of 'Big Bang Theory', though, checking out the trailer, Minnie Driver does look a bit in your face. I suppse this is one that might have a chance of turning up on E4 sooner or later, so I'll probably get around to it then....

neveragain

Sounds a bit like All About Me but with Cedric instead of Carrott.

Small Man Big Horse

Have now watched episode 4 and it's still fun but Minnie Driver's definitely the weak link, she's just too frenzied and the show keeps on telling us how amazing she is despite there not being much evidence of this. I really hope they'll recognise this or it could become a bit too frustrating to stick with.

Serge

Gulftastic

It's an excellent show. I'm up to US air dates, and the Minnie Driver character gets better as it goes on. They quiet her down a bit.