Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:44:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2017 THREAD)

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, January 12, 2017, 10:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bingo Fury

JJ Abrams romantically linked Spock and Uhura to sidestep all the speculation about the underlying homoeroticism of his friendship with Kirk that's dogged Star Trek since before the invention of slash fiction.

New page slash.

Norton Canes

touchingcloth

"Rembrandt" isn't a surname.

I don't know if I've mentioned this in here already, but it took me a long time before I realised that "SJW" didn't stand for something like "Sally Jane Walker".

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 28, 2017, 10:13:42 AM
I don't know if I've mentioned this in here already, but it took me a long time before I realised that "SJW" didn't stand for something like "Sally Jane Walker".

I know what it stands for but every damn time I see that stupid acronym my thought process is : "Sarah Jessica Wuh... What??? Oh that."

touchingcloth

Boxing and that. When you look at a boxer's "total fights" statistic on their Wikipedia page, does that mean the number of title fights (or whatever - I don't know the boxing lingo) they've had, or the total number of fights they've ever had?

Joe Frazier: 37
George Foreman: 81
Muhammad Ali: 61
Ricky Hatton: 48
Lennox Lewis: 44
Chris Eubank: 52
Mike Tyson: 58

They all seem a little low if those are all the professional fights they've ever fought.

Replies From View

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on April 28, 2017, 03:06:23 PM
I know what it stands for but every damn time I see that stupid acronym my thought process is : "Sarah Jessica Wuh... What??? Oh that."

I still don't know what it stands for, and I always think first of Sarah Jane Adventures, then the Sarah Connor Chronicles, before giving it up as clearly part of a shit for cunts acronym game.

If it mattered, it wouldn't be written as an acronym.  Done.

Rocket Surgery

Repeater

It's an initialism innit and the boxing thing - those are their fights. Fuckin', 48 fights isn't much? You on speed mate?

Replies From View

Quote from: Rocket Surgery on April 30, 2017, 01:18:41 AM
It's also not an acronym.

Because "SJW" can't be pronounced as a word?  Well fuck you, because it can.

Replies From View

Quote from: Repeater on April 30, 2017, 12:04:48 PM
mate

If you don't agree with me, then you have to spend the rest of your Bank Holiday repeating "SJW" over and over again until you recognise that I am right.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Repeater on April 30, 2017, 08:08:00 AM
It's an initialism innit and the boxing thing - those are their fights. Fuckin', 48 fights isn't much? You on speed mate?

In an entire career? You'd think they had more fights than that in a year - multiple per week, not one every few months.

Replies From View

"I've gone to sleep 48 times in my life" = not a lot of times.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 01, 2017, 10:47:34 AM
In an entire career? You'd think they had more fights than that in a year - multiple per week, not one every few months.

I don't follow boxing now, but I remember Frank Bruno fights were always a hugely hyped thing, but he only did about 3 or 4 per year.

olliebean

Presumably he did a lot more than that before he got famous, though?

touchingcloth

What do they do between the big fights? Presumably they need to do a fair number of small ones to qualify for the big matches?

Does anyone here know more about boxing than it just being punches and that?

Thursday

Yeah I'm as confused as touchingcloth here, I'm just sort of vaguely aware there's a big match every so often, but don't really know anything about the structure to it. I mean with Olympic boxing there's at least a structure to it. (even though the judging often makes little sense from the times I would watch)

Norton Canes

FaceApp's not going to work on my PC is it. There's a clue in the name.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 01, 2017, 09:09:57 PM

You could download Bluestacks and run the Android version on your PC.

Norton Canes

Yeah just seen a page that says that, then I realised I should just learn how to use my phone properly.

Icehaven

Quote from: Norton Canes on May 01, 2017, 09:09:57 PM

I can't get it to work on my phone either. Guess I'll never get to see what I would have looked like if I'd got old.

The title of TV show Inside Amy Schumer is probably meant to sound rude.

Repeater

Re. boxing, I mean just think about it, when you start you'll take fights often to get your name out, after your amateur career. When you become successful and marketable, you'll take less because: your manager will want them to become 'events' worth purchasing, because you have less time to just train & have more media obligations (plus life obligations) and because you no longer NEED to take many fights. You'll want to become a cultural thing, 1 fight every 6  months, get the PPV money etc. Also, think of it, how often can you be fucked / allowed to bash your head in for 12 90 minute rounds, added to the sparring and training? Fuck that.

I actually really dislike boxing, don't know much about it, but I figure the career span is similar to MMA fighters (which is something I do enjoy).

touchingcloth

If you're only doing one fight every six months, how do you get to qualify for the big fights like that one that was heavily promoted last week?

Repeater

There's no qualifying, promoters decide to use you - that's it. I dunno if it's a strict meritocracy, but I do know that MMA isn't. Some guys gets big fights solely because they're popular. I figure it's the same in boxing.

Gulftastic

The line 'I'm gonna go out and let myself get absolutely soaking wet...' in 'It's Raining Men' is quite filthy.

jobotic

The name of the band 'Pansy Division' is based on 'Panzer Division'.

olliebean

"Flat cap" is a spoonerism of "Cat flap."

Mind = blown.

touchingcloth

The song "Tally Ho" from Slumdog Millionaire never actually says "tally ho" in the lyrics, nor is it called "Tally Ho".