Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:20:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Obvious things you've only just realised (2017 THREAD)

Started by Stoneage Dinosaurs, January 12, 2017, 10:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuteBanana

Theres no reason for the alphabet to be in the order its in.

Ferris

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 24, 2017, 01:30:54 PM
Words are fun. Thank you lurker, and hello.

I assume this was your first post because it's the first time you've had a day off in a long while?

Sort of the opposite - stuck at work til an ungodly hour so I decided if I was going to be stuck at work waiting for reports from Japan, I was at least going to do nothing productive.

Sadly I live in North America so working absurd hours is a) fairly common and b) automatically 5 hours behind so you're never in the middle of the cut and thrust of live debate. Case in poin - I'm typing this on the streetcar to work. Also on mobile so this is probably full of typos. Soz.

Icehaven

Cuellar

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 24, 2017, 01:19:15 PM
Or here's another good one - "exorbitant" spending refers to spending that is literally out of this world. Words are fun.

Long-time lurker, you know I made an account just to share these recently realized pearls.

Apparently it originally comes from when cart wheels would jump out of their ruts in the street.

A lecturer once told me that and I took his word for it. Could be bullshit.

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on May 24, 2017, 02:26:44 PM
Are you also typing from 1955?
And hello.

Toronto is very modern in a lot of ways but our transit system is stuck in the early '60s

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 24, 2017, 02:56:29 PM
Toronto is very modern in a lot of ways but our transit system is stuck in the early '60s

We've just had trams across Birmingham city centre, I might start calling them 'streetcars', it's a much nicer word than tram.

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on May 24, 2017, 03:04:08 PM
We've just had trams across Birmingham city centre, I might start calling them 'streetcars', it's a much nicer word than tram.

I was back in brum for the first time in 5/6 years (I'm a native visiting family) and I was completely lost in new street station. Finally made it out by the old ramp and was nearly hit by a tram. I didn't even know brum was getting trams. The world moves on at a terrifying rate

Icehaven

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 24, 2017, 03:20:54 PM
I was back in brum for the first time in 5/6 years (I'm a native visiting family) and I was completely lost in new street station. Finally made it out by the old ramp and was nearly hit by a tram. I didn't even know brum was getting trams. The world moves on at a terrifying rate

No way, molto coincidente! Strictly speaking we've had trams for ages (going from Snow Hill out to Wolverhampton) but the extension down to New St. finally opened last year (after working on it with all the roads dug up for about 40,0000 aeons) so you do indeed now have the luxury of being hit by a tram while you're heading to Primark. I think the plan is to eventually have them going out to Edgbaston but I'm confident the heat death of the Universe will probably happen first. And yes the new New St. is a bit of a beast, designed to funnel you into the Bullring more than to let you leave. The whole red and blue 'lounge' thing has me foxed too, I've used the station at least once a week since it opened and I've still no fucking clue what that's all about.   

Cerys

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 24, 2017, 01:33:32 PM

Apart from the fact that it's in alphabetical order, you mean?

Replies From View

Quote from: MuteBanana on May 24, 2017, 01:33:32 PM

Well it was in that order yesterday.  That's a good reason.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 24, 2017, 12:31:04 PMSomething that struck me the other day is that Northumberland is the land north of the Humber.

So it (pretty much) is!  *facepalm*

Heh, I thought I'd "got" all of those county ones (like Essex, Sussex, etc.) by now, but that one passed me by.  Doesn't help that we all say it "Nor-thumb-er-land" rather than "North-humber-land", does it?

Even after all these years, this thread still delivers sometimes. :-)

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 24, 2017, 02:56:05 AM
Mediterranean = medi ("middle") terra[nean] ("world/earth").

Because it was the middle of the known world for thousands of years.

It's customary at this juncture to point out the name that Tolkein gave to the setting of his works...

Replies From View

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 24, 2017, 06:00:04 PM
It's customary at this juncture to point out the name that Tolkein gave to the setting of his works...

Bottled Spunk?

Mr Banlon

Replies From View

Quote from: Mr Banlon on May 24, 2017, 06:04:19 PM
Portuguese people aren't mediterranean.

That doesn't mean they are impartial to some bottled spunk.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Cerys on May 24, 2017, 05:34:00 PM
Apart from the fact that it's in alphabetical order, you mean?

What does that mean?

Ferris

Quote from: icehaven on May 24, 2017, 03:36:19 PM
No way, molto coincidente! Strictly speaking we've had trams for ages (going from Snow Hill out to Wolverhampton) but the extension down to New St. finally opened last year (after working on it with all the roads dug up for about 40,0000 aeons) so you do indeed now have the luxury of being hit by a tram while you're heading to Primark. I think the plan is to eventually have them going out to Edgbaston but I'm confident the heat death of the Universe will probably happen first. And yes the new New St. is a bit of a beast, designed to funnel you into the Bullring more than to let you leave. The whole red and blue 'lounge' thing has me foxed too, I've used the station at least once a week since it opened and I've still no fucking clue what that's all about.

I was showing my (Canadian) wife around but I was completely fucking lost. Eventually a kindly man in a high-vis jacket (with an accent so thick it must have been arts council-funded) showed us how to get out. Unfortunately, it was an exit that I didn't know existed so I had to fake knowledge of the city centre until I saw the bullring tower. I headed for that explaining that I was taking a local shortcut on an impromptu visit to the villa store to buy a new villa jersey. Alas this store had also closed!

Managed to find our way to the old joint stock with the help of some friends and had a balti pie and 2 pints of deuchars so it was ok in the end.

This is my first thread - I think I've derailed it sufficiently. Sorry.

Replies From View

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: saltysnacks on May 24, 2017, 01:17:06 PM
I found out that a kcal is 1000 calories. I knew of no such distinction between energy calories and food calories.

I thought they were the same?  A human body being able to derive a certain amount of energy from the food, and that energy being recorded in calories.

One thing I wondered about while watching Antiques Roadshow the other day... the size of diamonds are measured in Karats and the purity of gold is also measured in Karats, Wossallthatabouthen?
Oh!  For diamonds its Carat, for gold it's Karat.

saltysnacks

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on May 24, 2017, 06:51:51 PM
I thought they were the same?  A human body being able to derive a certain amount of energy from the food, and that energy being recorded in calories.

One thing I wondered about while watching Antiques Roadshow the other day... the size of diamonds are measured in Karats and the purity of gold is also measured in Karats, Wossallthatabouthen?
Oh!  For diamonds its Carat, for gold it's Karat.

This is from Wiki: The small calorie or gram calorie (symbol: cal) is the approximate amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of one gram of water by one degree Celsius at a pressure of one atmosphere.[1]

The large calorie or kilogram calorie (symbol: Cal), also known as the food calorie and similar names,[2] is defined in terms of the kilogram rather than the gram. It is equal to 1000 small calories or 1 kilocalorie (symbol: kcal).[1]

Blew my melon man.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on May 24, 2017, 06:00:04 PM
So it (pretty much) is!  *facepalm*

Heh, I thought I'd "got" all of those county ones (like Essex, Sussex, etc.) by now, but that one passed me by.  Doesn't help that we all say it "Nor-thumb-er-land" rather than "North-humber-land", does it?

Even after all these years, this thread still delivers sometimes. :-)

A fact:

QuoteThe name Essex is a Shakespearean baby name. In Shakespearean the meaning of the name Essex is: King Henry the Sixth, Part III' and 'King John' Earl of Pembroke.

So Wessex and Middlesex must mean Parts 1 & 2.

Replies From View

Quote from: Special K on May 24, 2017, 07:53:19 PM
Pedantic, I know, but Teesside has two S's.

Pedantic, I know, but a plural noun shouldn't have an apostrophe.

And I've put a full stop in for you, too.

Mr Banlon

It used to be called the alphabetagammadeltaepsilonzetaetathetaiotakappalambdamubuxiomicronpirhosigmatauupsilonphichipsiomega, but they shortened it to ABC

touchingcloth

Quote from: Special K on May 24, 2017, 07:53:19 PM
Pedantic, I know, but Teesside has two S's

Ironic given that the discussion was prompted by "north Humberland", when the county name has only a single S. Annoyingly, my spellchecker was flagging "Teeside" as incorrect, but I assumed it, being an iPhone, was just ignorant and racist, so I appreciate your pendaticism. Pedantry? My spellchecker flags neither, and I'm fucked if I'm googling it.

Lowercase "googling" isn't flagged, if you're wondering.

Twed

Obvious thing I thought I had briefly realised: that The Corrs was a pun on "The Cause".

Then I remembered it's just their name.

Replies From View

Quote from: Twed on May 24, 2017, 08:30:39 PM
Obvious thing I thought I had briefly realised: that The Corrs was a pun on "The Cause".

Also it's a pun on the fact that when you realise it, you exclaim "Of Course!"

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Twed on May 24, 2017, 08:30:39 PM

Runaway : About the 1983 Maze Prison breakout.
So Young : About Bobby Sands
Forgiven Not Forgotten : About the Good Friday peace agreement.

olliebean

Quote from: hedgehog90 on May 24, 2017, 09:40:17 AM
Deliberate is a strange word.
When a word develops 2 meanings, it seems silly that we pronounce one of them differently.
De-lib-er-ate. De-lib-rit.
Mate, just pick a different set of letters if you wanna do that shit.
Besides, we've already got a perfectly acceptable word for the adjective, intentional, why bother with another?

Deliberate and intentional aren't exactly the same. Intentional just means you chose to do something. You can do something on the spur of the moment and still have it be intentional. Whereas deliberate implies some thought has gone into it, i.e., that you deliberated about it before doing it.

pigamus

We pronounce them differently 'cos one's a verb and one's an adjective.

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on May 24, 2017, 09:33:50 PM
Deliberate and intentional aren't exactly the same. Intentional just means you chose to do something. You can do something on the spur of the moment and still have it be intentional. Whereas deliberate implies some thought has gone into it, i.e., that you deliberated about it before doing it.

Also you don't intentional over a dilemma.