Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:25:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

NOTE: Please post your "What's the music from that advert or whatever" questions in here.

Started by Neil, November 23, 2004, 01:23:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

I just saw an episode of Friends on E4 (yes, yes, my DVD player is bust) which featured Joey going to Las Vegas to film a movie that collapses. Anyway, there's a song about deserts or something on the soundtrack whilst he's standing on the sand. It goes something not remotely like this:

Quote from: "That song""In the desert... dum-de-dum de-dum name*.
Na naaaa na-n-na naaa. Ma na,
Na naaaa na-n-na naaa."
and so on. It sounds a bit like Simon and Garfunkel. Does anyone know what it is?

* Emphasis on "name" added to indicate the way people sing when they don't know the words. You know, you start off okay, drift into humming and then almost shout the last word as you suddenly know the lyrics again.

peet

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Has no one got any idea what that piano music was? I love it and have heard it used loads of times, it might have been the same music that's played when what'shisname in the Shawshank Redemption hangs himself (the old guy). It's lovely anyway and if anyone could tell me what it is it would be much appreciated. I thought it might be that Gymnopedie by Eric Satie that someone uploaded a while back but I think it is.
I watched this on video the other day as I missed it originally - it's definitely not Gymnopedie or anything from the Shawshank Soundtrack, I think it's original music composed for the program, sorry!
It is a great episode, though.

slim

Quote from: "splattermac"America - Horse with no name :)

that's a really lovely song as well.
Oooh, thanks very much splattermac, I will keep an eye out for that then. <wanders off to Amazon>

slim

Quote from: "Neil"Let me know if you find the cover version by David Essex...
I found the single with some other greatest hits for £6.99 on Amazon, so I know what I'm ordering come pay day. I hope the other stuff is as nice. No David Essex I'm afraid.

Neil

Ventura Highway is good, can't remember what the other Amierca stuff is like.  Horse With No Name is easy peasy to play on the guitar.

the hum

Does anyone know what the bit of music being used in the Judge John Deed trailers at the moment is?  Sure I've heard it before, but don't know where.  Sounds vaguely Penguin Cafe Orchestra-ish.

Darrell

Quote from: "Jimmy"What is the classical piece used in the Big Train sketch where Mark Heap does some shitty gymnastics?

Someone I know said its from the opera of Romeo and Juliet, but I'd like to know more specifically.

Montague and Capulet, it's called, and yep it's from the opera of Romeo and Juliet by [I forget but it's one of the big ones].

Bah. At least I remembered what it was called.

Jimmy

Quote from: "Darrell"
Montague and Capulet, it's called, and yep it's from the opera of Romeo and Juliet by [I forget but it's one of the big ones].

Bah. At least I remembered what it was called.

According to a sample stream from a classical album on amazon its Dance of the Knights from Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev? (sp).

I wrote it down somewhere anyway. Thanks for the reply though nonetheless.

EDIT: Aha, Prokofiev- Montague and Capulet (Dance of the knights) from the opera Romeo and Juliet.

Jon

Quote from: "Robot Devil"I heard a track on MTV2 a few years (two to four) ago, and I've never heard of it since. It sounded kind of a darker indie kind of track. Some of the chorus lyrics sounded vaguely like this (please note this is really fuzzy, only what they sounded like, no indicator of the real lyrics and going to sound very stupid):

Christmas time, summer and wine,
(something)'s gone...

(The word "christmas" is only what it sounded like - it was not a christmas song.)

The singer's voice went very high on the -mer part of the word that sounds like summer, and he had a very reedy sounding voice. It reminded me of - it may even have been - JJ72; the male singer IIRC had blond hair; and the video had pools of water in it.

This is a long shot, but can anyone help me, and soothe my - clearly from this post insane - mind?
JJ72 - Algeria

A Passing Turk Slipper

Anyone got any idea what the music playing in the background of the current Film Four advert is? It's instrumental but sounds a bit like Radiohead.

chand

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Anyone got any idea what the music playing in the background of the current Film Four advert is? It's instrumental but sounds a bit like Radiohead.

Just saw this advert now, it's 'Hunted By A Freak' by Mogwai, the first track on the 'Happy Songs For Happy People' album.

The Duck Man

Any idea what the music from the current Muller ad is?

It goes (sort of): Got my hands, got my hair, got my lips etc.

fanny splendid

gazzyk1ns

Hah, I came here to ask exactly the same question - commercialbreaksandbeats.co.uk appears to be haivng some problems, to say the least.

gazzyk1ns

Robot Devil

Quote from: "Jon"
Quote from: "Robot Devil"I heard a track on MTV2 a few years (two to four) ago, and I've never heard of it since. It sounded kind of a darker indie kind of track. Some of the chorus lyrics sounded vaguely like this (please note this is really fuzzy, only what they sounded like, no indicator of the real lyrics and going to sound very stupid):

Christmas time, summer and wine,
(something)'s gone...

(The word "christmas" is only what it sounded like - it was not a christmas song.)

The singer's voice went very high on the -mer part of the word that sounds like summer, and he had a very reedy sounding voice. It reminded me of - it may even have been - JJ72; the male singer IIRC had blond hair; and the video had pools of water in it.

This is a long shot, but can anyone help me, and soothe my - clearly from this post insane - mind?
JJ72 - Algeria

Oh god, THANK YOU, I've just noticed this post. That has driven my crazy for ages, you are a legend.

MonkeyDrummer

Anyone know what that tune is advertising Despatches. NHS  Your money or your life?

I'm sure I recognise it.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Oh thanks for that. It sounds pretty interesting. Tell me she doesn't start wailing in it. Tell me...

Cambrian Times

Oh come on, this is Bjork we are talking about.

More wailing then a Norweigian fishing fleet.

(Yes, I know. Think Phonetically)

MonkeyDrummer

Quote from: "Cambrian Times"MonkeyDrummer it's Bjork - Possibly Maybe

Many thanks!

Lt Plonker

What is the song that they use on that photos advert? You know, the one where people are moving blank frames around and they suddenly capture the image of whatever they are framing. Brilliant advert.

Cambrian Times

"Picture Book" By The Kinks

They played it on Jonathan Ross, about halfway through the show.

GK

Lt Plonker

Quote from: "Cambrian Times""Picture Book" By The Kinks

They played it on Jonathan Ross, about halfway through the show.

Many thanks, CT. I always thought it sounded like The Kinks.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Get the album it's from (Village Green Preservation Society) if you don't already Plonker, it's absolutely brilliant. There was a thread about it a while ago.

Baxter

I've read on the inside notes of abandoned shopping trolly hotline a mention of an album/ep called 'opus 49', does anybody know anything more about it?