Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The block-user script is now available as a chrome extension

Started by Paul Calf, January 13, 2017, 10:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

It works exactly the same as before but you don't have to piss around with the monkies. Just use the Add To Chrome button and you're away!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/goldfinger/lcblhgagcoikoioafdifjkpmhpdpengc

touchingcloth

Replies From View

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 13, 2017, 11:17:12 PM
Ace icon, but I'm blocking you now, Paul.

Weird to think that before one-man bands they invented portable Punch and Judy humans.

canadagoose

Stoneage Dinosaurs

How does it work? I clicked the little icon but I'm just getting an empty speech bubble

EDIT: never mind, figured it out

biggytitbo

Block everyone you don't like, then you don't ever have to face or confront opinions different to yours!! Create your very own echo chambers, it's easy and fun!

Stoneage Dinosaurs

^ I'll block you you CHIMPY TITHEAD

Anyway, I don't really get the 'echo chamber' criticism when the 'different opinions' people in question repeat the same basic tedious shit over and over again. If you've read one Milverton of TFM post you've basically read them all, that's more than enough times really

biggytitbo

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on January 13, 2017, 11:45:04 PM
^ I'll block you you CHIMPY TITHEAD

Anyway, I don't really get the 'echo chamber' criticism when the 'different opinions' people in question repeat the same basic tedious shit over and over again. If you've read one Milverton of TFM post you've basically read them all, that's more than enough times really

Not exactly hard to ignore with your brain though is it?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Well look at it this way, if there was someone who stood on every street corner as you passed yelling "FUCK OFF BALDY PATE" with no variation every 5 minutes it would be fairly easy to avoid, yes? But surely if you had some easy, free, effective way of filtering it out, you'd take it?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on January 13, 2017, 11:54:31 PM
Well look at it this way, if there was someone who stood on every street corner as you passed yelling "FUCK OFF BALDY PATE" with no variation every 5 minutes it would be fairly easy to avoid, yes? But surely if you had some easy, free, effective way of filtering it out, you'd take it?

It's not exactly comparable since it's just text on the internet and you can just not read it VERY VERY EASILY.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If someone made one fifth of the hundreds upon hundreds posts on a topic about Brexit on a forum of thousands of active members, I would not only want to ignore them but pay a man to throw a crow corpse up their tattered arsepiece.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on January 14, 2017, 12:03:52 AM
If someone made one fifth of the hundreds upon hundreds posts on a topic about Brexit on a forum of thousands of active members, I would not only want to ignore them but pay a man to throw a crow corpse up their tattered arsepiece.

Who's the person who makes up one fifth of the posts in those threads?

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on January 13, 2017, 11:38:53 PM
How does it work? I clicked the little icon but I'm just getting an empty speech bubble

EDIT: never mind, figured it out

I'm being spectacularly stupid, could you let me know how it works as I got the same thing.

pigamus

But so many people reply to the trolls, doesn't this just make the threads incomprehensible if you can't read what they actually say?

shiftwork2

Not really understanding the point of this either.  Intentionally annoying posters are scrolled past in a millisecond, with a quick skim if any interesting words stand out.  Other posters will probably engage which would make the thread difficult to follow.  Also, at the risk of sounding like an absolute drip, everyone has something to offer.  A notorious poster often makes interesting contributions in non-politics threads for example, and writes well in them.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 14, 2017, 12:44:16 AM
I'm being spectacularly stupid, could you let me know how it works as I got the same thing.

You browse to the user's profile and click 'ignore' user. The little toolbar icon does nothing .it is SUBTERFUGE

Dex Sawash

Buelligan

Mr Eggs

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 14, 2017, 01:17:32 AM
Not really understanding the point of this either.  Intentionally annoying posters are scrolled past in a millisecond, with a quick skim if any interesting words stand out.  Other posters will probably engage which would make the thread difficult to follow.  Also, at the risk of sounding like an absolute drip, everyone has something to offer.  A notorious poster often makes interesting contributions in non-politics threads for example, and writes well in them.

Folk just like having a big old wank about who they want to ignore.

mook

Quote from: Mr Eggs on January 14, 2017, 02:00:12 AM
Folk just like having a big old wank about who they want to ignore.

in a fackin' nutshell. it's not the ignoring that matters, it's the being seen ignoring that's what they're after. adults some of them too.

Howj Begg

Nah. Cookdandbombd is a messageboard where ppl COMMUNICATE all sorts of shit to eachother, it's the nature of the medium we're dealing with here. If users COMMUNICATE stuff like their horrendous pant-shitting episodes or their inability to talk to girls or their wrong opinions about music, why shouldn't they COMMUNICATE which posters they want to block. This place is not noted for tact, subtlety or quietism. Makes it good imo.

Echoing the perfect icon choice, Paul. One less set of racist opinions to have to scroll past.

Howj Begg

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 14, 2017, 01:17:32 AM

Your first point: Yes it does take just a milversecond to scroll past posts, and yes if other ppl respond it does mess up the thread. But maybe if this is successful other ppl will also use the extension and won't respond to them. Change takes time innit.

Your second point: That's true as well. However, there are so many CaB posters who make good, thoughtful, interesting posts in the other subforums and additionally AREN'T racist neo-nazi cunts, so, you know, I don't feel I'd be missing much. I'm prepared to pay the sacrifice at any rate.

hewantstolurkatad

Outside of the political stuff, Milverton is a pretty good poster.

The other dude, whether it's his fault or the several people who can't stand him, has total xpac heat.

That [banned member] guy and repeater's one line posts annoy me way more.

Custard

Well, I won't be ignoring anyone. Except me, obviously

I must admit though, those one line posters get on my tits a bit too. That's why I've done at least two in this post

Custard

Another thing is, don't a lot of us mainly use CaB on the go these days? Tablets, phones, etc. So if you really did want to block someone, wouldn't they still show up when you're not on a desktop computer?

Whereas, turning the other cheek is universal. As is slightly tutting to yourself as you do it

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 13, 2017, 11:40:38 PM
Block everyone you don't like, then you don't ever have to face or confront opinions different to yours!! Create your very own echo chambers, it's easy and fun!

Hate to agree with one of the board's more prominent supporters of both the next President of the United States and the main policy of the current government of the United Kingdom. But he's right on this one y'know. Sometimes the Establishment and their most vocal supporters are correct.

NoSleep

Couldn't give a fuck if they're shouty, whiny and repetitive; they're blocked.

Blue Jam

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 13, 2017, 11:40:38 PM

Loosely translated as "please don't leave me, nobody can stand my trenchant views IRL and I haven't finished brainwashing you yet"

It's nothing to do with edgy opinions it is more about the clusterfuck logic and limiting of debate that comes with the narrow mindedness of brain farts.  All annoyingly housed in internet debating school tactics.

PS I don't ignore anyone, but then I am trained to work with people with mental health conditions.