Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:40:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The block-user script is now available as a chrome extension

Started by Paul Calf, January 13, 2017, 10:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on January 13, 2017, 11:40:38 PM
Block everyone you don't like, then you don't ever have to face or confront opinions different to yours!! Create your very own echo chambers, it's easy and fun!

I think this is a slightly odd POV.  Do you feel obliged to read every single thread here and every post on them?  I hope not, I hope you allow yourself the freedom to choose what you would like to read.  But there you go, with your triage, creating your own little echo-chamber... or nothing of the sort. 

There is no reason why a reasonably intelligent adult should have to read or even see offensive racist material regularly (especially in this case where it is cookie-cuttered out into daily doses) in order to become the holder of fully-rounded opinions, this is bilge disguised as freedom and open-mindedness.  And I think you knows it.

George Oscar Bluth II

Quote from: NoSleep on January 14, 2017, 10:31:57 AM
Couldn't give a fuck if they're shouty, whiny and repetitive; they're blocked.

Self awareness: lacking

Paul Calf

I've updated the app to show instructional text in the popup when you click the icon. If you have feature requests, it'd be nice if you'd put them up in the github repository, but I appreciate not everyone will be able to do that.

The repository's here. If any developers want to have a go at adding features, I'd be delighted to accept contributions:

https://github.com/Dazzla/goldfinger

For everyone else, the Chrome Store page is here:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/goldfinger/lcblhgagcoikoioafdifjkpmhpdpengc

The version you want is 0.1.3. It'll take a bit of time to publish, so please be patient.

Doomy Dwyer

Is there anyway you can modify the script so that the fact that I'm using an ignore script will be prominently displayed, plus a list of those I'm ignoring, with every single fucking post I make? Or will I still have to mention the fact that I'm using an ignore script and who I'm using it to ignore in every single fucking post I make?

Cheers.

Howj Begg

^ Actually that would be pretty cool. A list underneath the avatar:

Currently Ignoring:
King of Bantz
Throckmorton
Chumley
Barry Admin

Paul Calf

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on January 14, 2017, 11:01:23 AM
Is there anyway you can modify the script so that the fact that I'm using an ignore script will be prominently displayed, plus a list of those I'm ignoring, with every single fucking post I make? Or will I still have to mention the fact that I'm using an ignore script and who I'm using it to ignore in every single fucking post I make?

Cheers.

Posting in this thread is not compulsory.

mook

Quote from: NoSleep on January 14, 2017, 10:31:57 AM
Couldn't give a fuck if they're shouty, whiny and repetitive; they're blocked.

even if it takes over one thousand three hundred pages of blither to actually fucking do it.

Blue Jam

I don't get the whole "echo chamber" thing either. Personally I'd just like to block a few threadshitters who insist on clogging up the board with pointless new threads. I don't even venture into the Corbyn threads.

Doomy Dwyer

Buelligan

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on January 14, 2017, 11:01:23 AM

Cheers.

Do people really do this?  I don't know, maybe I'm ignoring them, I don't think so, maybe one or two, maybe occasionally but it's not a big thing, is it?

Having threads on certain topics squatted over and shat upon repeatedly by the same posters is a thing though.  Becoming such a thing that it's made it nigh-on impossible to discuss these topics. 

On CaB, it's impossible to discuss some things, not because they're banned, not because posters don't want to, because one or two members decide to make those threads unreadable.  Censorship by threadshitting, poisoning those subjects so they can't be discussed.

So, you know, we're not living in a perfect world, it's the real virtual world where sometimes you have to choose between imperfect options. 

To my mind, it's better to deny the attraction of attention to these nuisance-mongers than to allow them to control the discussion.  I don't really care about the rest of it, I just want to be able to talk to other people without having some racist cunt or other obsessive screaming interference constantly in the background.  And, I think, as long as they have the incentive of attention, they'll continue to scream.

Funcrusher

This is pointless...all that will happen is other people will just quote them and you'll end up reading it...or sheer curiosity will get the best of most people and they'll have to keep putting people on and off the list.

Really it's up to people what they do though...if they want to be ignorant let them.

I think everyone should block me for a start...everyone.

NoSleep

Paul Calf

Quote from: captaincockring on January 14, 2017, 01:02:47 PM
This is pointless...all that will happen is other people will just quote them and you'll end up reading it...or sheer curiosity will get the best of most people and they'll have to keep putting people on and off the list.

Really it's up to people what they do though...if they want to be ignorant let them.

I think everyone should block me for a start...everyone.

It might well be pointless, but it's not harming anyone and this should put a stop to people asking for support for *monkey in the threads.

Shay Chaise

I'm going to randomly block one poster a day to give the illusion of progress towards what I've always dreamed of: peace and quiet. It will also be excellent preparation for the isolating terror of hearing loss.

xmxmxmxmxmx

Can someone kindly add a shortcut to block every single poster so I can finally enjoy this board in peace. Thanks.

Shay Chaise

The similarity of your post to mine suggests you already blocked me. Or you can't read.

Captain Z

Someone should add a feature that lets you block every user on the site so I can finally read in peace!

xmxmxmxmxmx

Quote from: Captain Z on January 14, 2017, 01:56:57 PM
Someone should add a feature that lets you block every user on the site so I can finally read in peace!

The similarity of your post to mine suggests you already blocked me. Or you can't read.

pancreas

checkoutgirl

All this "You must listen to everyone's opinion, you must not block just skip past, you must you must you must"

GET OUT!!

I don't understand the appreciable difference between constantly skipping past people who you are tired of having to deal with and just putting the ignore script in. What on earth is the big difference? Why would anyone care if someone is using an ignore script? Fuck right off it's none of your business.

There's a difference in not liking a question on Twitter and instantly blocking someone and having to put up with hundreds of idiotic and repetitive drivel posts in your favourite forum. I chose to ignore [banned member] because he appears to have mental problems and having to constantly skip past his nonsense is impacting on my enjoyment and that's all this forum is for me, an entertainment thing. It's not fucking community service where the government are making me read hundreds of pages of drivel by dickheads. I'm not getting paid to read or skip past [banned member]'s posts. So why should I bother?

There are half a dozen or so people who I do skip by and wouldn't consider putting on the ignore script but some people seem to be that bit more repetitive, that bit more irritating, that bit more likely to make me question what the fuck I'm doing with my life. They get the script.

Having said that there is a downside in that someone recently just said something pissy to me and I petulantly put him on the script just for that one thing so it can be tempting to just make people disappear on a whim.

Other than that I can't see any problems and happy banning and fuck anyone who has a problem with it. This dictatorial idea that we must trawl through annoying crap is a bit mystifying to me.

You can at least try and contribute something worthwhile or there's the ignore script.

Paul Calf

I can't take credit: Zetetic wrote the script. I just packaged it into an extension.

There's no-one on here I find that abhorrent enough to want to block them, I can easily just not read it.

doppelkorn

madhair60

Quote from: captaincockring on January 14, 2017, 04:42:39 PM
There's no-one on here I find that abhorrent enough to want to block them, I can easily just not read it.

Sonic is better than Mario

Ian Drunken Smurf

touchingcloth

I wouldn't use the script to block Milverton because although he's inflammatory, he makes posts he actually stands behind and for that reason a lot of other uses quote him and respond to the meat - if it can be called such - of his posts, and if nothing else it can be interesting to read people's replies to him.. No one responds to [banned member] in anger, because his posts are so devoid of intent. Might as well ignore posters who have proven that their own posts and replies to them are utterly bereft of meaning, interest, or any sort of edification.