Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The block-user script is now available as a chrome extension

Started by Paul Calf, January 13, 2017, 10:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Calf

Oh, I don't block Milverton. The icon is just a little joke.

djtrees

as a lurking good for nothing sod. it is tremendously good to block boring gobshites.
i can,t understand peoples acceptance of gobshites. if you can do without gobshites why would you not add the block script?

here is my current list of blocked gobshites and the reason i block them...
milverton....actual racist cunt or man pretending? not arsed blocked
falcon malteser...thick stupid cunt or man pretending? not arsed blocked.
jonny caramel...thick stupid repetitive  cunt or man pretending? not arsed blocked.

so yeah fuck them terrible cunts who make my enjoyment of a nice place worse.

Howj Begg

Agreed. But you want to be careful telling people that. A messageboard isn't a place for telling people what you think about things and stuff. Cos if you do then, they might know... that you are blocking people, which is... bad? Apparently you've got to do it but never tell anybody about it, sssh, it's like charity or something.

MojoJojo

Can you make it so that anyone who posts in one of the Corbyn threads more than 3 times in one day is automatically blocked?

Actually, could you make it wipe their hard drive and disable any medical devices in their vicinity? Ta.

Doomy Dwyer

Quote from: Howj Begg on January 15, 2017, 09:15:55 AM
Agreed. But you want to be careful telling people that. A messageboard isn't a place for telling people what you think about things and stuff. Cos if you do then, they might know... that you are blocking people, which is... bad? Apparently you've got to do it but never tell anybody about it, sssh, it's like charity or something.

It's a tricky old kettle of fish, all right. I've got nothing against blocking or ignoring someone you don't much care for, in principle. If Doomy Dwyer can be said to have an ethos it is 'Do what thou wilt'. That is very much the whole of the law for me. But without any schoolboy magick bollocks that often accompanies the utterance of that statement. He also reserves the right to refer to himself - Doomy Dwyer - in the third person. Anyway, as usual, it's not the act itself that is upsetting but the banging on about the act that accompanies it. It undermines the purity and the purpose of the act. It's happened enough that I've noticed it and I'm surprised that so astute and perceptive a commentator such as Buelligan hasn't noticed it also. Very surprised indeed. It reminds me of those recovering alcoholics who always tell you, unbidden, how little they're drinking or the last time they took a tipple. Good on you and all that. But all you're still in its thrall, you're still under the influence. Every time you mention the bevvy you've lost control, again. You may as well get back on it for all its worth. Plus, we all know that you're reaming it like a rodeo rider when the curtains are drawn, no one eats that many Polo's voluntarily. You'll never be free of that bald prick until you can hypothetically sit in the same room as him and not feel the urge to beat him to death with a grave diggers shovel.

A request, though, while I'm here. If you ever find do yourself sitting in a non hypothetical room with that bald prick, please beat him to death with a grave diggers shovel. If only to keep him from getting his hands on my mum! Keeping it light at the end there, but you know what I'm saying.

Murder him.

Blue Jam

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 14, 2017, 10:43:58 AMLoosely translated as "please don't leave me, nobody can stand my trenchant views IRL and I haven't finished brainwashing you yet"

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 14, 2017, 04:38:14 PM
All this "You must listen to everyone's opinion, you must not block just skip past, you must you must you must"

GET OUT!!

...This dictatorial idea that we must trawl through annoying crap is a bit mystifying to me.

You can at least try and contribute something worthwhile or there's the ignore script.

This seems to be a growing problem on the internet in general. Someone who is banned from Twitter may whine about "censorship" rather than considering that they may have violated the terms of service and that Twitter doesn't owe them a platform. Someone who gets their comments deleted from under Guardian articles may post another comment to complain about "censorship" (and get that deleted) rather than taking a few minutes to read the house rules and realise that personal insults, bigoted language and off-topic posts are not allowed, and the Guardian aren't obliged to allow them. The owners of right-leaning media outlets who are having trouble holding onto advertisers may whine about "censorship" instead of accepting that no company has any obligation to fund their work.

The "right to free speech" thing now seems to mean "the right to free speech, the right to face no consequences for saying inflammatory things, the right to a platform, and the right to everyone's attention". I support a person's right to freedom of expression as long as they support my right to ignore them.

Quote from: checkoutgirl on January 14, 2017, 04:38:14 PMYou can at least try and contribute something worthwhile or there's the ignore script.

Somebody generated an ignore script for the other forum I used to post on many years ago. This was prompted mainly by one particular threadshitting poster who used to fill up the front page with off-topic mundane posts about her personal life, cries for attention and the odd semi-naked pic ("ooops, someone hacked my account again!")- it was all incredibly irritating and creepy and the sheer volume of it made it hard to ignore. Unfortunately this script just blocked usernames rather than accounts, so this person simply started changing her username several times a day. She was banned a few times but kept popping up again with new accounts. I gave up on the place when I checked my list of blocked usernames and noted there were about 30, and that almost all of them were the same person. Several people were driven away by this one poster, and when the board finally got some proper moderators and she was permabanned along with some other trolls it was several years too late- this forum is pretty much dead now.

So yes, there is the possibility that an ignore script may encourage a few people who want attention to try and get it by posting genuinely interesting stuff rather than by pissing people off. With registration being closed we also shouldn't have much of a problem with trolls coming back with new accounts. The only people who need to worry about ignore scripts are the attention-seekers who know they could do better.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Doomy Dwyer on January 15, 2017, 10:19:49 AM
It's a tricky old kettle of fish, all right. I've got nothing against blocking or ignoring someone you don't much care for, in principle. If Doomy Dwyer can be said to have an ethos it is 'Do what thou wilt'. That is very much the whole of the law for me. But without any schoolboy magick bollocks that often accompanies the utterance of that statement. He also reserves the right to refer to himself - Doomy Dwyer - in the third person. Anyway, as usual, it's not the act itself that is upsetting but the banging on about the act that accompanies it. It undermines the purity and the purpose of the act. It's happened enough that I've noticed it and I'm surprised that so astute and perceptive a commentator such as Buelligan hasn't noticed it also. Very surprised indeed. It reminds me of those recovering alcoholics who always tell you, unbidden, how little they're drinking or the last time they took a tipple. Good on you and all that. But all you're still in its thrall, you're still under the influence. Every time you mention the bevvy you've lost control, again. You may as well get back on it for all its worth. Plus, we all know that you're reaming it like a rodeo rider when the curtains are drawn, no one eats that many Polo's voluntarily. You'll never be free of that bald prick until you can hypothetically sit in the same room as him and not feel the urge to beat him to death with a grave diggers shovel.

A request, though, while I'm here. If you ever find do yourself sitting in a non hypothetical room with that bald prick, please beat him to death with a grave diggers shovel. If only to keep him from getting his hands on my mum! Keeping it light at the end there, but you know what I'm saying.

Murder him.

What you say about 'not being in thrall' is all very zen, but makes no sense (sincere apologies if I'm accusing you of trying to make sense). By this logic, if I don't read The Sun everyday, I'm in thrall to its power. Similarly I'm in thrall to Breitbart and Fox News, and that bloke from next door who I try and avoid eye contact with.

We're all in thrall to those who have power over us, it's just that some of us are looking at the stars. Or arts. They're anagrams of eachother.

Wilco about the bald prick, though.

WesterlyWinds

Is there any way to set it up so that all other users automatically have me on ignore? Just imagine the echoes I'd yield by futilely ejaculating my inane thoughts onto what is essentially an empty forum.

Doomy Dwyer

Quote from: Howj Begg on January 16, 2017, 01:34:07 PM
What you say about 'not being in thrall' is all very zen, but makes no sense (sincere apologies if I'm accusing you of trying to make sense). By this logic, if I don't read The Sun everyday, I'm in thrall to its power. Similarly I'm in thrall to Breitbart and Fox News, and that bloke from next door who I try and avoid eye contact with.

We're all in thrall to those who have power over us, it's just that some of us are looking at the stars. Or arts. They're anagrams of eachother.

Wilco about the bald prick, though.

What I mean is that there's no point giving up if all you do is talk about giving up. You're still chained to the monkey. I'm thinking about the concept that true freedom is not even knowing what freedom is. By which I take to mean that you're so free that the concept of enslavement is completely alien, not that you're so deep in the hole there's no promise of release. Like the fish joke, you know? ''How's the water, boys?'' It is a bit zen, which is not like me. Fucking Buddhists, man. Don't trust them.

This is the good thing about talking in analogies, they raise as many questions as answers. A good analogy should make absolutely no sense whatsoever, ideally. My analogy is excellent because it doesn't work on a number of levels.

Blue Jam

Is anyone else using this and finding people they've blocked have become visible again after a couple of weeks and need to be blocked again? Is there any way around this? I know the original ignore script only blocked people for about two weeks but I thought that had been fixed. I tried tinkering with the original script myself but couldn't work out how to make the block indefinite.

pancreas

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 31, 2017, 09:03:02 PM
Is anyone else using this and finding people they've blocked have become visible again after a couple of weeks and need to be blocked again? Is there any way around this? I know the original ignore script only blocked people for about two weeks but I thought that had been fixed. I tried tinkering with the original script myself but couldn't work out how to make the block indefinite.

Edit the script in the TamperMonkey dashboard.

Change 'expireAfter =' to a larger number.

Blue Jam

I did that, but still couldn't get it to work with "9999999999999999999999999999999". It's not working for the Chrome extension now either.

Consignia

This script: https://github.com/Dazzla/goldfinger/blob/master/cab_ignore_user.js ?

Remove the expireIgnores function, and the call to it at the bottom.  You could just do the latter...

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 31, 2017, 09:08:58 PM
I did that, but still couldn't get it to work with "9999999999999999999999999999999". It's not working for the Chrome extension now either.

Yeah, that number is too big for JavaScript.

TheFalconMalteser

Quote from: djtrees on January 15, 2017, 02:51:41 AM
as a lurking good for nothing sod. it is tremendously good to block boring gobshites.
i can,t understand peoples acceptance of gobshites. if you can do without gobshites why would you not add the block script?

here is my current list of blocked gobshites and the reason i block them...
milverton....actual racist cunt or man pretending? not arsed blocked
falcon malteser...thick stupid cunt or man pretending? not arsed blocked.
jonny caramel...thick stupid repetitive  cunt or man pretending? not arsed blocked.

so yeah fuck them terrible cunts who make my enjoyment of a nice place worse.

how do I block this human stain, awful human being

Blue Jam

Quote from: Consignia on January 31, 2017, 09:09:41 PM
This script: https://github.com/Dazzla/goldfinger/blob/master/cab_ignore_user.js ?

Remove the expireIgnores function, and the call to it at the bottom.  You could just do the latter...

"Invalid userscript. Sry!"

Arrrrrrrrgggghhh. How do I do this please?

Milverton

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on January 13, 2017, 11:45:04 PM
^ I'll block you you CHIMPY TITHEAD

Anyway, I don't really get the 'echo chamber' criticism when the 'different opinions' people in question repeat the same basic tedious shit over and over again. If you've read one Milverton of TFM post you've basically read them all, that's more than enough times really

You've said that before.

Blue Jam

Cheers for that Consignia, but I'm still getting that error message. i'll just stick with Goldfinger and keep updating the shitlist for now, cheers.

Consignia

Sorry about that, I don't use the script. I'm surprised it fails, since I ran it in the console. It might be missing the metadata if it's going into a script loader like Tampermonkey.

Trojan_Jockey

The save confusion, if you use this script you should change your avatar to the following:

Moribunderast

Quote from: Trojan_Jockey on January 31, 2017, 10:16:31 PM
The save confusion, if you use this script you should change your avatar to the following:

If you go into a pub and someone starts shouting tedious racist/homophobic/whatever-ist shit, does it make you a baby if you leave the pub or go to a different area where they're out of earshot? Genuinely don't understand the "echo chamber"/"don't like others' opinions!" argument when it's being used on people who offer such thrilling debate as:

Quote from: Fuck Off Milverton talking about murder of civilians in CanadaWell you can't blame him for that, can you? I think his actions were rather excessive but it does illustrate, once more, that wherever Islam sinks its claws death and destruction soon follow. There were no mosque shootings in Canada when there were no mosques, just as there are no church shootings in Saudi Arabia.

Despite this unpleasantness I shall look forward in the coming days to seeing the prancing ninny currently masquerading as the Canadian Prime Minister lace daisies into his hair, slip into his silk bodice and cry crocodile tears. Fellow makes Louis Spence appear quite butch.

Are people really missing out by lancing that boil?

Trojan_Jockey

Quote from: Moribunderast on February 01, 2017, 12:29:04 AM
If you go into a pub and someone starts shouting tedious racist/homophobic/whatever-ist shit, does it make you a baby if you leave the pub or go to a different area where they're out of earshot? Genuinely don't understand the "echo chamber"/"don't like others' opinions!" argument when it's being used on people who offer such thrilling debate as:

I'm ignoring you.

NoSleep

touchingcloth

Look at these tiny idiots. They haven't a blessed clue what they're missing out on.

NoSleep

To be honest it's more like wearing a cumbersome gas mask to navigate the forum without the ignore script; aside from the stench. The script is more like an air freshener in that respect.

NoSleep

It already existed for Firefox (before the chrome version) as a greasemonkey script.