Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

M. Night Spamalam's Split

Started by Mini, January 17, 2017, 10:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mini

This is out on Friday and currently has 80% on Rotten Tomatoes, despite looking fucking dreadful from the trailer. Maybe expectations were so low that critics wound up giving a mediocre piece of trash 4-star reviews. James McAvoy plays a man with 23 different personalities, even though his acting range allows for no more than 5, including a frankly laughable lisping child - and there's some nonsense about multiple personalities giving him the ability to change his body chemistry. And if that's the premise, what's the twist going to be?

Wet Blanket

I'm going to have to be convinced this is one charming motherfucking pig before I part hard earned cash on a M Night Shyamalan picture.

colacentral

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't mean anything.

Rev

I had the - I'm not saying twist because it isn't, so lets say 'conceit' - of this spoiled for me today, and without spolerising all of you fine people...  fuck me, he's desperate and knows the value of nothing, does M. Night.

kidsick5000

Is he self-financing now? So he happily creates what he wants and then just shops around for distribution

Swoz_MK

Really didn't enjoy this. And I enjoyed The Village.

McAvoy as evil Serafinowicz was ok, as his other personalities he was hilariously bad, especially that fucking kid.
Spent most of the film thinking "is that her from Neon Demon?". It wasn't. It was her out The VVitch.

Custard

M Day Showaddywaddy is having a bit of a comeback critically, isn't he? His last one, The Visit, was well received too. (I found it a 3 bagger, myself. But still, it wasn't The Happening)

Serge

I'm tempted to go and see this, as I do like McAvoy and enjoyed the trailer, but if the twist turns out to be
Spoiler alert
that the girls he's kidnapped are three more of his personalities and exist only in his head
[close]
I'm going to kick off.

purlieu

Nothing is going to be good about this film.

Pissant

Trouble with all these Fritzl genre-films is you spend two hours knowing full well she who is in peril will escape after a long and perilous journey into nowhere.  No amount of twisty aliens tacked on the end can mitigate this terminal narrative tedium. 

purlieu

This film will be redeemed, however, if the (somewhat jokey) suggestion in the YouTube comments that
Spoiler alert
there are actually 23 identical people, rather than one person with 23 personalities
[close]
is true.

Junglist

Quote from: Pissant on January 19, 2017, 08:48:26 PM
Trouble with all these Fritzl genre-films is you spend two hours knowing full well she who is in peril will escape after a long and perilous journey into nowhere.  No amount of twisty aliens tacked on the end can mitigate this terminal narrative tedium.

Watch Michael:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1906426/

You won't thank me. I think CaB would enjoy that film, would be nice to see an 'its a good film' for a change.

Spoiler alert
cautionary wink ;)
[close]

Bhazor

It's definitely a werewolf film.

Mango Chimes

The twist is that McAvoy's actually an actor who's just rehearsing for 23 different roles and the three girls are casting directors.

The twist is that the three girls are actually one girl with three personalities who's kidnapped 23 people who she imagines look like James McAvoy.

The twist is that M Night Shyamalan is clinging on to those 15 year old reviews calling him the new Hitchcock and has seen Psycho.

The twist is that the three girls plus James McAvoy are contestants on The Chase, and 'The Beast' is Mark Labbett and the psychiatrist is Bradley Walsh.

The twist is

Bhazor

It is interesting the films not listed in the trailer. Like After Earth, The Last Bender and that one about a mermaid in the pond.

Pissant

Quote from: Junglist on January 19, 2017, 10:22:29 PM
Watch Michael:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1906426/

You won't thank me. I think CaB would enjoy that film, would be nice to see an 'its a good film' for a change.

Spoiler alert
cautionary wink ;)
[close]

Ha, I reckon Michael was at the back of my mind when I wrote that.  It had great reviews at the time but I didn't make it past the hour mark.  The banality of evil indeed. 

Straight Faced Customer

This is a surprisingly solid and affecting bit of cinema. Got some applause in the Vue I saw it in, which I haven't come across in years for anything big or small. McAvoy is great and genuinely terrifying. It takes its time across its acts, deftly building up to a very
Spoiler alert
grim
[close]
last act. It never does what you'd expect, either, cutting across to flashbacks and other settings yet without losing any of its basic self. I went in thinking it'd be exploitative of the mentally ill, but it's only exploitative in the sense all horrors are. Name me a chiller that doesn't have a loony as the main attraction?

Negatives? I'd have snipped a bit from the last act. Also, don't take your significant other into this like I did, thinking it'd be a psychological indie thriller where the main guy gets to show off his funny range of accents, all the while playing what's merely a quirky game of cat 'n' sassy high-school kid. It's a straight up horror, through and through. What was I thinking.....

Van Dammage

Might give this a look. It's been a while since any Shamalamadingdong film has gotten solid reviews.

purlieu

Quote from: Straight Faced Customer on January 22, 2017, 09:26:35 AM
This is a surprisingly solid and affecting bit of cinema.
I'm never going to watch this, so give us the spoiler in spoiler tags will you? I'm curious. But not curious enough to give it 90 minutes.

The twist is fucking ludicrous, proper gonzo stuff. Shyamalan is a legitimately insane, no question about it. Here it is: *Massive Spoiler*
Spoiler alert
Bruce Willis turns up at the end, reprising his Unbreakable character to confirm that McAvoy's character is exactly the same type of superhuman beast that Samuel L Jackson was in that film. So the two films take place in the same universe. YOU LOVE INTERCONNECTIVITY DON'T YOU, YOU FANBOY FUCKS!
[close]

Van Dammage

^ I'm not reading the spoilers so don't know if you've seen it or if your taking the piss. If you did see it, what did you think? (ludicrous gonzo in a good way hopefully) I'm probably going to see it on Tuesday.

It's total schlock but McAvoy is great in it. Worth seeing for him alone.

purlieu

Haha oh God if that's true I might actually have to watch it.

Custard

Wait, is that spoiler real?

This sounds amaaaaazin

Mini

It doesn't disappoint in the hilarity stakes, but I wouldn't watch it except to laugh at Shyamalan. I think it's supposed to be scary or at least creepy, but he's such an incompetent filmmaker you'd be forgiven for thinking it's deliberately shit. I reviewed it here.

Quote from: Shameless Custard on January 23, 2017, 09:50:20 AM
Wait, is that Spoiler real?
It absolutely is. The film is genuinely that bonkers.

Mango Chimes

Holy fucking shit. I didn't countenance for a second that you weren't just taking the massive piss. But unless you've got a hell of a lot of websites and/or Google in on your gag, it's true. Fuck!

Mango Chimes

I'm kind of bummed now that this movie stars James McAvoy and looks utterly terrible to the extent I read the spoiler.

Bhazor

Yes the twist is impressively daft. But it does make the mistake of
Spoiler alert
thinking that anyone remembers Unbreakable
[close]

Mini

Quote from: Bhazor on January 24, 2017, 12:33:15 AM
Yes the twist is impressively daft. But it does make the mistake of
Spoiler alert
thinking that anyone remembers Unbreakable
[close]

The guy in the screening I was at who shouted "OH FUCK" certainly did. Either that or he thought it was
Spoiler alert
Sixth Sense Bruce Willis.
[close]