Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:32:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

M. Night Spamalam's Split

Started by Mini, January 17, 2017, 10:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serge

I went ahead and read the spoiler anyway, and now I definitely want to see it.
Spoiler alert
'Unbreakable' is probably my favourite Shyamalan movie, mainly because it's the only one I've seen where I didn't guess the twist.
[close]

Straight Faced Customer

My memories are vague, but
Spoiler alert
how exactly is the Horde similar to Mr. Glass? Glass didn't actually have any powers, did he, besides having the influence and money to cause train crashes and the like?
[close]

Blumf

So the twist is that MNS is
Spoiler alert
building a superhero cinematic universe to rival Marvel's, right under everybody's
[close]
noses?

Mini

Quote from: Blumf on January 24, 2017, 01:54:10 PM
Spoiler alert
building a superhero cinematic universe to rival Marvel's, right under everybody's
[close]
noses?

Spoiler alert
So Stuart Little exists in the same universe as The Happening?
[close]

Shit Good Nose

IMDB had
Spoiler alert
Bruce
[close]
listed with his
Spoiler alert
character name
[close]
prior to the film even being released in the States, and I did wonder in what capacity he would turn up.

I haven't seen the film, by the way.

Blumf

Quote from: Mini on January 24, 2017, 01:58:38 PM
Spoiler alert
So Stuart Little exists in the same universe as The Happening?
[close]

He's like the
Spoiler alert
Deadpool of the MNS-iverse
[close]

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Spoiler alert
this film sounds fucking awful
[close]

Custard

^ And there's the quote for the poster

purlieu

Quote from: Blumf on January 24, 2017, 01:54:10 PM
Spoiler alert
[close]
noses?
I would love this to happen, along with
Spoiler alert
retconning that somehow makes his shit films really good. Like The Happening was all some hallucination used as an experiment on humans by the aliens from Signs or something.
[close]

Steven

This was more or less
Spoiler alert
Red Dragon crossed with a Jim Carrey movie.
[close]

Van Dammage

Actually really enjoyed this! The child identity was fucking hilarious.

Steven

So to get the ending you have to know Unbreakable from 15 years ago, which I've not seen? Isn't that massively haughty of a writer?

Van Dammage

Quote from: Steven on January 28, 2017, 01:37:24 AM
But to get the ending you have to know Unbreakable, which I've not seen? Isn't that massively haughty of a writer?

Oh yeah, I mean Shyamalan is a bellend to be fair. I've not actually seen Unbreakable either. I had it spoilered for me before though. (Unbreakable, not Split)

Repeater

Nah I've never seen Unbreakable, but still got the ending.

Glebe

Saw this Thursday night, only getting round to giving me little review now... hmmm. I dunno... it's generally quite an entertaining watch, a chunk of it is pretty good, but there's too much silliness and contrivance. It's a little too busy and convoluted for it's own good. McAvoy is on top form, the performances are good all round actually, but I found the characters a little annoying in that kind of 'twinkling' M. Night Shamalamadingdong way. I wish the plot had of been a bit more straightforward and streamlined, instead of going into a load of gobbledygook gubbins.

Spoiler alert
I haven't seen Unbreakable, but in any case the connection to that film is a bit 'so what?' to me.
[close]

Quote from: Swoz_MK on January 19, 2017, 09:51:20 AMIt was her out The VVitch.

*clicks fingers* Ah right, crikey! I thought she looked familiar!

Van Dammage

Quote from: Glebe on February 12, 2017, 01:22:20 AM

Spoiler alert
I haven't seen Unbreakable, but in any case the connection to that film is a bit 'so what?' to me.
[close]

Think it has something to do with M Night wanting to make it into a trilogy but not being allowed for budget reasons. Fans were disappointed with that I think because apparently it had a lot of potential. This did well enough at the box office, so maybe he could end up making the sequels he wanted now.

Sin Agog

Here's something that may blow the top off your head off.  I watched Unbreakable a couple of days ago for the first time in a decade, and there's a scene where a woman and her boy brush past Brucey in the stadium, immediately setting his Spidey sense tingling that the kid may be getting abused by her.  That woman was wearing the exact same clothes, and looked a dead ringer of, McAvoy's mum who we briefly see being abusive in a flashback in Split.  Pretty sure Shyamalan retro-engineered that scene to make it mesh with Split.

By the way, people can whine about the SJW liberal fascist elite all they want, but I'm so glad that it means people have cut out that Shyamaladingdong shite. 

EDIT: Oh wait, just saw the thread title. :/

Repeater

Oh aye. He raped her didn't he? That one very short scene where she's crying with the camera underneath her.

HappyTree

Looking up a best-to-worst of MNS films, I see I've only seen the best two on the list: 6th Sense and Unbreakable.

6th Sense was ok. I managed to see it without knowing the twist and was fooled by it, so job done.

Unbreakable was awful, in my view. One of the most boring films I've ever seen. I was heard to remark at the end that this unbreakable film managed very successfully to break my balls. And, it seems, my desire ever to watch another film by this dude.

Small Man Big Horse

This leaked online earlier, with korean subtitles but thankfully they're easy to ignore. And in short it's fucking terrible, one of the worst films I've seen in years. It's just your standard horror film with three kids trapped in a basement whilst McAvoy does some of the most embarrassing acting I've ever witnessed, when he's playing the nine year old I couldn't stop laughing. It's a shame as the rest of the cast are strong, and the lead girl puts in a really great performance, but up against McAvoy's scenery chewing it's impossible to take seriously.
Spoiler alert
Then at the end he kind of turns in to the creature from alien and scutters up and down corridors and climbs walls and it's beyond ridiculous. Luckily our main character was repeatedly raped throughout her life and so McAvoy decides he doesn't want to eat her after all and he buggers off to a nice new apartment. The end. Well, except for that Bruce Willis cameo, which I found to be the most entertaining thing in the whole film.
[close]
It's a shame in a way as all of the other elements show promise, but McAvoy's character, and the performance, are so rubbish that it's a film I didn't find myself lost in for a second.

Mini

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 23, 2017, 11:46:06 PM
McAvoy does some of the most embarrassing acting I've ever witnessed, when he's playing the nine year old I couldn't stop laughing.

Absolutely. I'm baffled that he was praised for this role.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Mini on March 24, 2017, 10:12:03 AM
Absolutely. I'm baffled that he was praised for this role.

Likewise. Toni Collette managed to do the Dissociative Identity Disorder thing in the (greatly underrated) United States of Tara incredibly effectively but I thought McAvoy's attempt was really weak when compared to her performance.

Sgt. Duckie

McAvoy's performance seems to have really
Spoiler alert
divided
[close]
opinion

Van Dammage

Quote from: Sin Agog on February 12, 2017, 05:49:19 AM
Pretty sure Shyamalan retro-engineered that scene to make it mesh with Split.

Early versions of the Unbreakable script actually had McAvoy's character included, or referenced by name at least.

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 23, 2017, 11:46:06 PM
This leaked online earlier, with korean subtitles but thankfully they're easy to ignore. And in short it's fucking terrible, one of the worst films I've seen in years. It's just your standard horror film with three kids trapped in a basement whilst McAvoy does some of the most embarrassing acting I've ever witnessed, when he's playing the nine year old I couldn't stop laughing. It's a shame as the rest of the cast are strong, and the lead girl puts in a really great performance, but up against McAvoy's scenery chewing it's impossible to take seriously.
Spoiler alert
Then at the end he kind of turns in to the creature from alien and scutters up and down corridors and climbs walls and it's beyond ridiculous. Luckily our main character was repeatedly raped throughout her life and so McAvoy decides he doesn't want to eat her after all and he buggers off to a nice new apartment. The end. Well, except for that Bruce Willis cameo, which I found to be the most entertaining thing in the whole film.
[close]
It's a shame in a way as all of the other elements show promise, but McAvoy's character, and the performance, are so rubbish that it's a film I didn't find myself lost in for a second.

I'm pretty sure the nine year old was supposed to be funny.

Rev

Well there's no point dodging spoilers about the ending any more, as the announcement of a new film gives it all away really.

'Glass', with yer Willis, yer blokey out of this, and yer Sam Jacksons, coming in 2019.  I don't expect it to be any cop, but I'm definitely interested in seeing it.

Moribunderast

I enjoyed this as a schlocky b-grade horror thing. Thought McEvoy was okay but, as with the rapping kid in The Visit (a film I really liked), I wasn't sure which parts of his performance were meant to be funny and which weren't. The Bruce cameo at the end was fucking hilarious and beyond ridiculous. I'm overjoyed that he's making a film based off that one bit of stupidity. It will either be enjoyable on it's own merits or very fun to laugh at.

Mini

Quote from: Rev on April 27, 2017, 01:20:08 AM
Well there's no point dodging spoilers about the ending any more, as the announcement of a new film gives it all away really.

'Glass', with yer Willis, yer blokey out of this, and yer Sam Jacksons, coming in 2019.  I don't expect it to be any cop, but I'm definitely interested in seeing it.

Quote from Shyamalan: "It was always my dream to have both films collide in this third film."

By "always" I assume he means "ever since they stopped letting me direct big-budget projects."

Shit Good Nose

Despite the shit link to Unbreakable (which can easily be ignored by just stopping watching when the end title credit comes up), the eye rolling MNS cameo, and the fact that it's treading very well worn ground, I actually thought it was a hell of a lot better than I was expecting it to be.  Mind you, the last MSN films I saw were The Happening and The Last Airbender, and I viewed them pretty much back to back.  I guess anything after that double header is going to seem like a masterpiece.

One thing I would like to congratulate MSN on, however, is that he is one of the few mainstream A-list[nb]he's still just about on there, albeit gripping on with fingernails[/nb] directors that doesn't employ shaky-cam.  Surely that reign has to come to an end soon.  It's so nice to see a still and smooth moving camera.  A rarity these days.

Norton Canes

James McAvoy? You are all mistaken, Adrian Edmondson is starring in this