Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:08:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Mindhorn

Started by Blue Jam, January 20, 2017, 01:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

A BBC Films production, with backers including Steve Coogan and Ridley Scott. Premiered at last year's London Film Festival, getting a proper release on the 5th of May 2017:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfilms/film/mindhorn

From The Guardian's review:

Quote[Julian] Barratt plays Richard Thorncroft, a grotesque has-been actor who back in the early 80s, resplendent with the handsomeness of a young Lewis Collins, had his moment of fame playing a TV cop called Mindhorn. This was a tough officer who was subjected to a bionic-style experiment: his left eye was removed and replaced with a hi-tech scanner set into an old-fashioned eyepatch – allowing him to beam supersonically into anyone's mind and see through criminal lies.

His roistering adventures came to an end when the series was cancelled – and he managed to insult every cast member and everyone on the Isle of Man, where the show was set, on an ill-judged appearance on Wogan before heading off to LA where he assumed Hollywood fame was the natural next step.

But it never worked out and in 2016 the poor sap is now an unemployed, overweight, middle-aged actor living in a north London bedsit with his memories, his hairpiece (time has taken its toll on the luxurious mane) and his extensive collection of Mindhorn memorabilia. He has been fired from a TV ad for orthopaedic socks and replaced with John Nettles. His beautiful onscreen/offscreen flame Patricia Deville (Essie Davis) from those days is still in the Isle of Man, employed as a local TV journalist, happily married to a man who was once Thorncroft's stuntman. To add to his humiliation and despair, an absurdly minor character from the show, played by Steve Coogan, became a huge success with a spinoff.

So far, so Cruise of the Gods...

QuoteBut out of the blue, poor Thorncroft has a shot at career redemption. A crazed killer is terrorising the Isle of Man and has a delusional fan-obsession with Mindhorn from old videocassette copies; he thinks Mindhorn is real and is prepared to negotiate with Mindhorn and only Mindhorn. Thorncroft is offered by the police the chance to come back to his old stomping ground and talk to this monster in character. But to the horror of one and all, Thorncroft sees in this a glorious PR opportunity – a chance to kickstart his ailing career.

...and also a bit Alpha Papa, if Alpha Papa had featured Jed Maxwell. Maybe a bit Toast of London too. Also a bit Mighty Boosh obviously, but hopefully not too Mighty Boosh.

Interesting cast list too- I'm really hoping this doesn't turn out to be one of those "less than the sum of its parts" British comedies:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4799064/

Blinder Data

This was good! Rapid-fire gags, very silly and some great performances from a wide-ranging cast.

The plot's pretty thin but pleasingly it doesn't run out of steam. In fact, the characters are so likeable that I wish it was a bit longer - from what the makers said at the Q&A a sequel is not very likely, unfortunately.

It was interesting to hear at the Q&A that it wasn't just the director's first film, but his first time ever directing anything on screen. I think that became obvious with the storytelling sometimes: the significance of a few plot points didn't quite land and the ending was quite abrupt. However, I imagine his theatre career helped in other ways because the visual and physical comedy stuff, as well as the chemistry between characters, were excellent.

I look forward to seeing this again when it's on telly in a year's time. (Though I recommend you see it when it's released in May!)

Blue Jam

Cheers for the review, Blinder Data! Where did you see it and are there any more previews near Edinburgh?

The trailer is out now:

http://www.empireonline.com/people/julian-barratt/truth-time-first-trailer-action-comedy-mindhorn-blasts/

Good to see Julian Barratt having a lot of fun playing a sleazy git and arguing with Steve Coogan. I like the production design of the 1980s clips too, they're a bit Sherlock Holmes In Miami. Looking forward to this a bit more now.

dr beat

Trailer looks promising, Julian Barratt seems to relish playing an always 'on' bad actor.

Blinder Data

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 16, 2017, 02:57:00 PM
Cheers for the review, Blinder Data! Where did you see it and are there any more previews near Edinburgh?

The trailer is out now:

http://www.empireonline.com/people/julian-barratt/truth-time-first-trailer-action-comedy-mindhorn-blasts/

Good to see Julian Barratt having a lot of fun playing a sleazy git and arguing with Steve Coogan. I like the production design of the 1980s clips too, they're a bit Sherlock Holmes In Miami. Looking forward to this a bit more now.

I saw it at Glasgow Film Festival. I don't know about other previews.

Very slight spoiler re: 1980s clips:
Spoiler alert
they're all at the beginning in a short montage, similar to this trailer.
[close]

Noodle Lizard

Never noticed until I saw that trailer, but Barratt looks eerily like a friend of mine.  Weird.

Anyway, this looks like it'd be fairly fun.

Malcy

Came in here to see if it was something to do with Barratt. He had a character called Bruno Mindhorn.

My name is Bruno
My name is Bruno, i live in the corner of your eye
Fishes for breakfast, fishes for tea
If you look inside your mind you can find a perfect.........me.

Was the song on the brilliant Boosh Breezeblock set. Looking forward to this, always got time for Barratt.

Blue Jam

Embra peeps: The Cameo are doing a preview screening followed by a Q&A with Julian Barratt on the 23rd of April:

https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/Cameo_Picturehouse/film/mindhorn-plus-qanda

Just booked, looking forward to this.

George White

The series itself sounds like one of those failed early 90s telefantasies, e.g. She Wolf of London, Virtual Murder, Moon and Son, etc.

Twed

The description—and name—of this sounds exactly like Lookwell!

George White

Or Pulaski.
Or The World of Eddie Weary.
Did Roy Clarke have a hand in this?

Dr Rock

Looks great from the trailer. As for concept comparisons, in the new Adam Buxton podcast Barratt compares the concept of washed up actor(s) having to play their old character(s) because someone thinks they were real to Galaxy Quest.

Beagle 2

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 12, 2017, 03:49:34 PM
Embra peeps: The Cameo are doing a preview screening followed by a Q&A with Julian Barratt on the 23rd of April:

https://www.picturehouses.com/cinema/Cameo_Picturehouse/film/mindhorn-plus-qanda

Just booked, looking forward to this.

Thanks, just booked for that! I'm not convinced by the trailer to be honest but Barratt is always good value and I have to see this for the Isle of Man connection (half my family hail from there).

Twed

I'm not sure about the trailer. It looks a lot like Alpha Papa, but without Alan Partridge. To be read in Alan's voice: that just doesn't work.

Small Man Big Horse

Only just noticed this but apparently for the rest of the world it'll be released on the 12th of May on Netflix. Which is also presumably when it'll appear on the torrent sites... https://thevelvetonion.com/2017/03/29/mindhorn-outside-the-uk/

Blinder Data

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 18, 2017, 07:19:51 PM
Only just noticed this but apparently for the rest of the world it'll be released on the 12th of May on Netflix. Which is also presumably when it'll appear on the torrent sites... https://thevelvetonion.com/2017/03/29/mindhorn-outside-the-uk/

Although obviously instead of just torrenting the film, everyone should just seek it out at their local cinema!

Otherwise we might as well wave goodbye to cinematic releases for British comedy films.

This is most likely the Screen Unseen film on tomorrow if you have a local Odeon. Tickets are £5

Hobo

There were still tickets left at Nottm Broadway this coming Saturday, with the Q & A session with the two writers, when I checked yesterday.

Blue Jam

Julian Barratt seems to be on a bit of a tour with the preview screenings and Q&As, there should be a few more opportunities to see the film a bit early and ask a few questions.

Last night's screening was probably the busiest I've ever seen The Cameo- the queue went down the street and all the way round to the back entrance of the bar, where I spotted Barratt himself slipping into the building discreetly. This being a comedy thing in Edinburgh, Tall Grey Ponytail Man was also in attendance.

Some rambling thoughts then: I really enjoyed the film- the Alpha Papa and Cruise Of The Gods influences were apparent, but it was pleasingly Toast Of London at the start. A bit more Alan Partridge with
Spoiler alert
the "PR agency" actually being a sordid little grief-hole of a static caravan, and the meeting with Coogan at the country club
[close]
too, and definitely some Anchorman in there towards the end.

Some critics have said Coogan should have had more scenes, but he wasn't there to steal the show and I thought he was in it just enough, suitably dressed like he's on holiday as usual, and I liked
Spoiler alert
the moody modelling photographs with his own range of cagoules
[close]
. I wasn't sure about Simon Farnaby's accent- it's supposed to be Dutch apparently but I was trying to work out what it was and it was a little distracting.

I found Russell Tovey's character a little too disturbing at times, especially
Spoiler alert
his Nutty Room where he got Richard Thorncroft "trapped in his character"
[close]
- as Barratt said in the Q&A, that's a pretty nightmarish concept. The
Spoiler alert
plasticine VHS tape
[close]
was somehow nightmarish and funny though, and I liked
Spoiler alert
the day being saved by a crappy piece of Mindhorn merchandise
[close]
. They clearly had a lot of fun designing the merchandise
Spoiler alert
especially the talking pullstring Mindhorn doll, which has sadly gone AWOL, according to Barratt in the Q&A
[close]

The most nightmarish thing of all was probably the Manx Loaghtan sheep which made occasional appearances- I swear those things are actually Satan in sheep form, nice detail. I could see what Barratt meant by "The Isle Of Man is like a character itself", no location doubling was done there.

For all the jokes, the thing I laughed the loudest at was probably
Spoiler alert
"FUCK OFF CALLOW"
[close]
. Kenneth Branagh was clearly having a lot of fun playing himself
Spoiler alert
and CaB's bald fraternity will particularly enjoy one of his scenes-
guys, I swear that and several others were put in for your viewing pleasure
[close]
. Also that joke about the young police officer's mother which I have now forgotten...

If you do see the film, stay for the credits- there's a little bonus where
Spoiler alert
Richard Thorncroft's single You Can't Handcuff The Wind plays over the second half
[close]
. Barratt did mention the influence for that
Spoiler alert
title and the lyrics
[close]
, but I could have sworn it was
Spoiler alert
this Muhammad Ali quote here
[close]

The Q&A was enjoyable, Barratt was charming and self-deprecating and thankfully there weren't too many Boosh-related questions. Some will be pleased to hear that he's now working on a second series of Flowers- that announcement got a round of applause.

I'm planning a second viewing- it was fast-paced and I missed a few lines, and it will be nice to see it again and take it all in without a load of Boosh fans laughing at every single thing that happens in the first ten minutes.

JoeyBananaduck

My wife went to the cinema with a friend a couple of weeks ago and the trailer for this was shown.

"There's a really good looking comedy coming out with Steve Coogan. We'll have to see it together!"
"Oh cool, hadn't heard about that. What's it called?"
"I think it was something like Head Nob".

Glebe

Empire's review refers to it as a 'scrappy Britcom' and gives it 3/5... however, it currently has an 88% Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes - and it's actually listed under 'Coming Soon to Theaters'!

JoeyBananaduck

Supposedly its coming to Netflix sooner rather than later too. Sometime in early May for those outside the UK.

VelourSpirit

Quote from: JoeyBananaduck on April 25, 2017, 08:19:38 AM
Supposedly its coming to Netflix sooner rather than later too. Sometime in early May for those outside the UK.
Aw I'd heard it was coming to Netflix but I just read the Deadline article, seems to only say they've got the rights outside the UK? But then later on it says "all territories"...

Blue Jam

A few goodies here- some spoof 1980s press releases (sent by fax, naturally) and
Spoiler alert
a music video for You Can't Handcuff The Wind which features an Isle of Man ferry timetable in a sex scene
[close]
- be warned, this massively spoils the end credits bonus so you might want to bookmark it for later reading
Spoiler alert
though I suppose putting the track on YouTube is a Spoiler in itself... meh
[close]
:

Some bits and pieces from The Skinny

On Sunday I saw a different trailer at the cinema, in which Richard Thorncroft urged cinemagoers to keep an eye on their belongings at all times, because Mindhorn can't be everywhere at once, or something- I liked it, it was very Partridge. Unfortunately I can't find it online.

Sebastian Cobb

Showing from next week at my local curizon/europa cinema.

As is a re-release of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

Glebe

This had gained the 'big movie' billboard spot above the entrance of my local mini-multiplex (IMC, Dun Laoghaire), believe it or not.

Repeater

Absolutely dire, walked out 20 minutes in. Fucking... so awful.

buzby

Went to see this at the local 'art cinema' last night - very funny.  Barratt (and Farnaby) are great in their roles. As mentioned upthread there's a strong element of Toast to it, but that's no bad thing (it could easily have been made with Toast in Barratt's role and Ray Purchase in Coogan or Farnaby's roles)). It does make me want to go to the Isle Of Man just to see some of the odd buildings like the Douglas ferry terminal ans whatever the civic hall was.

The music (by David Holmes, no less) is very accurate pastiche of late 80s british TV music. The song from Thorncroft's album 'You Can't Handcuff The Wind' is very reminiscent in parts of 'A Real Hero' from the Drive soundtrack (the title card of the video is done in the same neon script as the Drive titles too). The video also has a 'Thorncroft Video ident at the start, which is a homage to the early 80s Thorn Video ident.

One thing that provoked a gasp from the couple behind me when the end credits started was Ridley Scott listed as Executive Producer - they must have missed the 'Scott Free Productions' logo at the start (Baby Cow is in there too, unsurprising with Coogan being involved)

kidsick5000

Quote from: buzby on May 07, 2017, 11:08:20 PM
The music (by David Holmes, no less) is very accurate pastiche of late 80s british TV music. The song from Thorncroft's album 'You Can't Handcuff The Wind' is very reminiscent in parts of 'A Real Hero' from the Drive soundtrack (the title card of the video is done in the same neon script as the Drive titles too). The video also has a 'Thorncroft Video ident at the start, which is a homage to the early 80s Thorn Video ident.

I hate myself for such pedantry, but that style of music vid - where it's shot on video rather than film and looks 'live' - is more 84 than 89.

Blinder Data

Quote from: buzby on May 07, 2017, 11:08:20 PM
One thing that provoked a gasp from the couple behind me when the end credits started was Ridley Scott listed as Executive Producer - they must have missed the 'Scott Free Productions' logo at the start (Baby Cow is in there too, unsurprising with Coogan being involved)

At the Q&A I attended, the director and Simon Farnaby admitted Ridley Scott's involvement was pretty limited beyond his name. I think one of the other producers got him on board.

The director said he went to Scott's office and sat outside listening to him chuckle away while watching Mindhorn.