Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:44:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mindhorn

Started by Blue Jam, January 20, 2017, 01:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daf

Liked this a lot - could imagine Steven Toast popping up in the fictional Telly series as the guest baddie :

MIIIIIIIIND-HOOOOOOORN!!!!!!

JoeyBananaduck

Capsule review: Crap

In depth review: Extremely crap, 50% ripped off from Anchorman and the other 50% from Darkplace.

Norton Canes

Saw it last night at a cinema not on a stream in the comfort of my own home

It's not entirely devoid of laughs but yeah, it's all bit rushed and lightweight. Worse than that though it suffers from the same problem as Alpha Papa in that it's completely beholden to a typically crap British crime caper plot. The first half hour, setting the scene and establishing the characters was pretty good and I could quite happily have sat through another hour of a washed-up actor from a crap 80's TV series desperately trying to find work and re-establish himself, even though that's hardly an original concept. But the crime plot killed it for me.

Another thing that got me - we get the exposition at the start about Mindhorn's artificial eye and what it can do, but there's practically no reference to it thereafter. We don't even get a scene of it in action in the series. Weird that it should be such a physically obvious device but never usefully feature.

popcorn

This is utterly shit. Alpha Papa and Hot Fuzz by people who don't know how to make either. Couldn't finish it.

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Norton Canes on June 08, 2017, 02:37:46 PM
Another thing that got me - we get the exposition at the start about Mindhorn's artificial eye and what it can do, but there's practically no reference to it thereafter. We don't even get a scene of it in action in the series. Weird that it should be such a physically obvious device but never usefully feature.

That's one of those 'things' that are inherently funny. You know, he has a crazy cool eye but they never mention it. How fucked is that??

Let's call him Fast Dirk but never ever see him rush.

Sorry I haven't seen this.

zomgmouse

Saw this last night. Was pretty fun and had enough laughs but I agree it felt a little too light and underdeveloped and used a lot of very obvious gags like the wrong tape, fake blood and Sunset Boulevard poster. Still, nice performances and small things peppered throughout. I definitely liked it.
Also, the theme music feels like it's ripped straight from The Long Good Friday.

SteveDave

I liked it. I've never seen my wife laugh harder at anything like when he wakes up and the Kestrel has glued his hair on his head.

alan nagsworth

I really enjoyed this too, but then I was at the Leicester Square premiere last October so I saw it before any of you and I saw the stars on the red carpet and before the film there was a chat on stage with Barratt and some other people who I don't care about and the whole thing made me feel like the coolest cunt in the world, so maybe all of this may have impacted my viewing experience somewhat and made me think it was better than it actually was. Probably not though because I'm fucking cool as fuck and you lot aren't, hahaha

Norton Canes

Barratt and Farnaby were on Zoe Ball's radio 2 show a few days ago doing some publicity for the DVD release, nice chat but it all seemed a bit belated. They played the full version of You Can't Handcuff the Wind and someone called in to say it sounded like The The.

batwings

Quote from: Norton Canes on September 13, 2017, 10:17:15 AM
Barratt and Farnaby were on Zoe Ball's radio 2 show a few days ago doing some publicity for the DVD release, nice chat but it all seemed a bit belated. They played the full version of You Can't Handcuff the Wind and someone called in to say it sounded like The The.

video for You Can't Handcuff The Wind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIgSw_26Nko

Watching this now.  It's so weak, did the people involved really think the script was up to snuff before filming it?  Now an eye rolling romantic sub plot has kicked in 🙄

Why is there not lots of zany robotic eye retro action?  I didn't expect Cruise of the Gods with one of the same stars and the same producers!

Ferris

On the back of a recent rewatch of Paddington (excellent film) I was reading about Simon Farnaby and saw this in his filmography. It sounded very funny, great cast, Baby Cow production, and a concept that could be brilliant.

Really disappointing. Switched it off after 40 mins or so, and only gave it that long because I was giving it benefit of the doubt. I'm just too old and tired to spend 2hrs watching a film I'm not enjoying. It moved along ok, but there were no jokes. Where were the jokes?!

A shame. Looks like I should have checked CaB before putting it on as "disappointing" seems to be the consensus.

Mr Trumpet

Good film, especially the last act where it all goes mental. Anyone switching off early is missing the best stuff.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I did have a hearty guffaw at the end when
Spoiler alert
his capoeira moves turned out to actually work
[close]
. That aside, I'd have to agree that it's just okay. It didn't help that I watched it right after the Alan Partridge film.

Blue Jam

This is on iPlayer now if anyone wants to check ot out.