Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:55:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 05, 2019, 11:53:26 AM
"I later discovered the car did not have a differential lock"

"...but actually uses a traction control system where a spinning wheel is braked by an on-board computer, so effectively we were both right."

Twed

To be fair, he has just caught a blast of erotic exhaust fumes to the face.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Captain Z on February 05, 2019, 04:10:29 PM
37!?

Fucking hell!  That's only one year older than myself and yet he looks 20 years older than I do.  That's proper desolation, that is.

I know they say that stress ages you but I mean, come on!  37.  Christ.

Tikwid

Quote from: kalowski on February 04, 2019, 09:35:44 PM
"I know it won't smash, Lynn, just put it in bubble wrap!"
As much as I like the subtler moments of MMM, its (very) occasional callbacks to the louder, broader Alan of IAP are honestly something of a guilty pleasure for me. Things like the Lynn call, "I want to drive a DIGGER!" and "it's got an arrrgument in a carr parrk"

Captain Z

I just became aware of a new Chemical Brothers album coming soon, and watched the video for the first single 'Free Yourself'. Around halfway through it cuts to a security guard who is listening to MMM on the radio:

https://youtu.be/7wzR_BVFsUU?t=199

kalowski

"And talking of lonely people, here is Helena Rigby, by Beatles."

QDRPHNC

If a fox were a person, he'd be David Starkey, a real git of a guy.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 06, 2019, 10:43:20 PM
If a fox were a person, he'd be David Starkey, a real git of a guy.

Similarly

"I didn't know you fancied yourself as a playwright, Alan"

"I don't fancy myself - I'm not John Inverdale - but I've wanted to be a playwright for ages"

I'm rewatching season 2 of MMM while staying up with Ferris Jr. I've woken him up twice with my poorly-stifled chuckling.

ToneLa

Nomad is getting another read

"These days, however, I see the world a little differently. My longing for revenge, much like the foreskin of an adult Jew, simply isn't there any more. Sure, hidden in a bush at the end of Bruno Brookes's drive last week, I was still convulsed with spasms of ecstasy on seeing him open his front door, only to be greeted by a pizza he hadn't even ordered, but otherwise I'm a changed man."

Ferris

Anyone noticed the tag line for North Norfolk digital is "The Way You Want it to Be" on the intro credits for MMM? That was the tagline for fictional rebrand, Shape wasn't it? Sounded like a yoghurt? Maybe it's been subsumed by NND as a result of the bully-boy tactics of Gordale Media, but they've changed the station name but left the tagline the same as a potential oversight to demonstrate how little attention the parent company pays to its subsidiaries.

It's either a really clever bit of background (because these tiny stations rebrand/cannibalize each other all the time and Gordale in canon don't give a shit about any of their stations or output), or the writers are just reusing a funny tagline. I think the former, because they've paid attention to include rival disc-jocks Wally Banter and Ben Bacton, and also the tagline isn't funny on its own.

Hmmm. Interesting anyway.

Cuellar

But why is his big house called Denton Abbey?? We know how much time and effort he puts in to thinking up names for his houses. What is the connection between his house and Simon Denton AKA Sidekick Simon??

ToneLa

Quote from: Cuellar on February 07, 2019, 10:16:25 AM
But why is his big house called Denton Abbey?? We know how much time and effort he puts in to thinking up names for his houses. What is the connection between his house and Simon Denton AKA Sidekick Simon??

Nowt.

Not mentioned in Nomad (kindle edition, searched for Denton, the two concepts never tangle) and in nothing else I can remember! But.. But...  I know. I know.

Cuellar

Hmmmm. With this lot's attention to detail and consistency I refuse to believe there isn't some underlying reason. Is Sidekick Simon there as some sort of favour?

Utter Shit

Might be misremembering but isn't it implied that he's just using that house for the show? I'm sure there was a clue like a woman looking out the window at him, as if it were her house...so he might have just thrown in the name Denton Abbey as a nod to the grandeur of Downton Abbey/pun on Simon's name, rather than actually naming his house that.

ToneLa

Quote from: Cuellar on February 07, 2019, 10:25:23 AM
Hmmmm. With this lot's attention to detail and consistency I refuse to believe there isn't some underlying reason. Is Sidekick Simon there as some sort of favour?

Maybe the implicitation is Simon named it that in some admiring quip expressing his own wish for ownership (being a pun on Downton) and Alan is downplaying that link because he's Alan and nicked it and insists it's not a reference to Simon and is merely a pun?

Oh, I 'unno. I might choose to believe that implication!

Quote from: Utter Shit on February 07, 2019, 10:38:30 AM
Might be misremembering but isn't it implied that he's just using that house for the show? I'm sure there was a clue to this like a woman looking out the window at him, as if it were her house...so he might have just thrown in the name Denton Abbey as a nod to the grandeur of Downton Abbey/pun on Simon's name, rather than actually naming his house that.

Nomad has a few asides about big mortgage payments and the dodgy sounding agent who set it up for him, so seems like his actual gaff now

Captain Z

Quote from: ToneLa on February 07, 2019, 12:41:44 AM
"These days, however, I see the world a little differently. My longing for revenge, much like the foreskin of an adult Jew, simply isn't there any more. Sure, hidden in a bush at the end of Bruno Brookes's drive last week, I was still convulsed with spasms of ecstasy on seeing him open his front door, only to be greeted by a pizza he hadn't even ordered, but otherwise I'm a changed man."

Pretty sure that isn't in the audiobook. Has anyone read/listened to both and can give an idea of how much extra content there is in the printed version?

Dyl Spinks

Where in the Partridge Canon (or the Partridgeanon) does he say, "It's a regional accent; people at the BBC use them." or something to that effect?

This has been driving me mad all day, and I've been trying to find it to help someone who's to write an essay about regional accents' desirability or otherwise. 

Ferris

Quote from: Captain Z on February 07, 2019, 10:50:56 AM
Pretty sure that isn't in the audiobook. Has anyone read/listened to both and can give an idea of how much extra content there is in the printed version?

This is deffo in the audiobook - I can hear the delivery when reading it.

It is before the "driving around and throwing biz-cards at faded celebrities before going to Delia's for tea" bit, and not having enough time to visit Michaela Strachan's commune.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Captain Z on February 07, 2019, 10:50:56 AM

The Nomad audiobook has everything (except the pictures at the back, obviously), but the I, Partridge one is missing a chapter that's in the printer version, for some reason.

Captain Z

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 07, 2019, 06:00:45 PM
The Nomad audiobook has everything (except the pictures at the back, obviously), but the I, Partridge one is missing a chapter that's in the printer version, for some reason.

IP:WNTTAA is missing some lines here and there too, for instance when he leaves the travel tavern a sentence about how he 'could tell Susan wanted him' or something to that effect is cut from the audiobook. I assume there are others.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Captain Z on February 07, 2019, 06:19:16 PM
IP:WNTTAA is missing some lines here and there too, for instance when he leaves the travel tavern a sentence about how he 'could tell Susan wanted him' or something to that effect is cut from the audiobook. I assume there are others.

Is that the line about how he could tell she wanted him to stay and chat? That's in the audiobook.

Captain Z

Part of it is, but there's a couple of sentences cut:

And in fact the section it refers back to is also cut, at least in my version of the audiobook:

Sebastian Cobb

'let me put that in context for you... FLYING AIDS.'
'...two handfuls of sausage meat please.'

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Captain Z on February 07, 2019, 07:48:09 PM
Part of it is, but there's a couple of sentences cut:

And in fact the section it refers back to is also cut, at least in my version of the audiobook:

Cool, cheers for those. Wonder why they were left out of the audiobook.

ToneLa

The Gibbonseses get tons of deserved credit but Coogan's reading is fucking amazing and I can read both the books with his voice in my head perfectly. It's so weird listening to the audio while I read; it's like my fucked up, addled mind is coming through my bluetooth speaker as I lay on my bed, having the not just the last laugh.

Shame the Nomad official one seems at a low bitrate but what can ye do.

Ferris

Quote from: ToneLa on February 07, 2019, 08:22:01 PM
The Gibbonseses get tons of deserved credit but Coogan's reading is fucking amazing and I can read both the books with his voice in my head perfectly. It's so weird listening to the audio while I read; it's like my fucked up, addled mind is coming through my bluetooth speaker as I lay on my bed, having the not just the last laugh.

Shame the Nomad official one seems at a low bitrate but what can ye do.

I got it on iTunes and it sounds fine to me. I know sometimes audible have shit versions, so maybe they just reduced the filesize/quality for reasons best known to themselves.

ToneLa

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 07, 2019, 08:32:21 PM
I got it on iTunes and it sounds fine to me. I know sometimes audible have shit versions, so maybe they just reduced the filesize/quality for reasons best known to themselves.

Mine's the Amazon official ver so it's bloody shocking if they've skimped on that.

I, Partridge sounds absolutely super smashing great, but Nomad has that late 90's fuzzy low-bitrate Napster MP3 sound...

Twed

Can confirm, my Amazon copy also sounds like shit.