Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:12:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

"The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there."

"And the reverse us also true. Often going to a foreign country is like going into the past. For example if you go to -"

"Albania?"

"-Scotland. It's like going back to the fifties."

Ferris

Quote from: ToneLa on February 07, 2019, 08:39:44 PM
Mine's the Amazon official ver so it's bloody shocking if they've skimped on that.

I, Partridge sounds absolutely super smashing great, but Nomad has that late 90's fuzzy low-bitrate Napster MP3 sound...

Maybe the iTunes version is higher res, or I have shit ears. Unable to confirm.

ToneLa

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 07, 2019, 09:01:33 PM
Maybe the iTunes version is higher res, or I have shit ears. Unable to confirm.

Hmm. Need good ears to confirm. Or iTunes.

.... Waiting on someone with good ears!

QDRPHNC

Mine doesn't sound like shit (it's the Audible version), but he does seem to read it quite a bit faster than I,P, so I listen to it at 80% speed or so.

"Chill oooooooooout"

Spudgun

I've just had a three-month free trial with Audible, and all my freebie choices were Partridge-related. In case it's helpful:

I, Partridge = 6h56, 95.1MB
Nomad = 6h02, 82.7MB
KMKYWAP = 3h55, 53.9MB

ToneLa

Do us (well yourself) a quick (Well, at your leisure) compare of IAP and Nomad cause I have the Audible version and I been ripped off!

Mobius

ToneLa

Who..whh....whooooooooooo do you think you are?

Spudgun

I'm fighting an epic battle with the DRM*, but according to iTunes they're all 32kbps, 22.050kHz (mono). By ear, Nomad has a little more going on in the bass and less at the top, while I, Partridge is just simply more pristine. Nomad's definitely the worse of the two, but I don't hear a night-and-day sort of difference, though. Try reducing a bit of the low end on Nomad, and see if that's any improvement.

*On an entirely unrelated subject, does anyone know how to convert Audible files into a more universal format, without losing any quality? Asking for a friend.

ToneLa

Quote from: Spudgun on February 07, 2019, 10:37:13 PM
I'm fighting an epic battle with the DRM*, but according to iTunes they're all 32kbps, 22.050kHz (mono). By ear, Nomad has a little more going on in the bass and less at the top, while I, Partridge is just simply more pristine. Nomad's definitely the worse of the two, but I don't hear a night-and-day sort of difference, though. Try reducing a bit of the low end on Nomad, and see if that's any improvement.

*On an entirely unrelated subject, does anyone know how to convert Audible files into a more universal format, without losing any quality? Asking for a friend.

Nah Nomad is worse. I'm being, excuse the language, a right fusspot, and it's confusing as to how and why, but you're hearing it too: why isn't it pristine?

Note to own fevered greedy mind; shut the fuck up and enjoy Coogan. It isn't bad one bit when you're not A/Bing it!

*I use this site for tons of conversion, mainly ebooks and such, but, sounding too easy, it has a Convert to Mp3 section I've linked to, supports Kindle formats, and yes, I just uploaded what was in My Documents\Audible\Downloads - chose my purchase, Trainspotting.aa for example - and five minutes later a local and tagged MP3 is now playing.

https://www.online-convert.com/ - used em for years

Mobius

Britain has some of the safest roads in Europe. But this isn't Britain, DIS IS DER AUTOBAHN!

markpaterson

Quote from: Spudgun on February 07, 2019, 10:37:13 PM

I sympathize man. 32kbps / 22kHz is unacceptable in 2019. This is why I refuse to buy audiobooks digitally. I don't even consider myself an audiophile, but the sound quality is total trash. It's like listening to a RealAudio stream in the 90s.

For both the Partridge books I bought the Audio CD version and ripped all their tracks to Apple Lossless Audio in iTunes. Sure, each one is a LOT of CDs, but doesn't take too long on modern CD drives and CPUs.

I then joined them all into a single file using the free and easy to use Mac App AudioBookBinder. It allows you to group the files into chapters and name them by chapter. Even if a chapter is spread over say 5 Audio files, you can easily group those 5 together and section it off as a single chapter. It can export as an AAC compatible audiobook format known as M4B (basically a regular M4A file with special metadata that remembers your position, and automatically goes into the Audiobook section in iTunes etc). I do a test export to see how big the file is, but usually settle on around 128kb mono AAC for export, which is more than good enough for spoken word. At that rate a single 6 hour book is around 400MB.

AudioBookBinder link...
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audiobook-binder/id413969927?mt=12

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: ToneLa on February 07, 2019, 10:43:13 PM
Nah Nomad is worse. I'm being, excuse the language, a right fusspot, and it's confusing as to how and why, but you're hearing it too: why isn't it pristine?

Note to own fevered greedy mind; shut the fuck up and enjoy Coogan. It isn't bad one bit when you're not A/Bing it!

*I use this site for tons of conversion, mainly ebooks and such, but, sounding too easy, it has a Convert to Mp3 section I've linked to, supports Kindle formats, and yes, I just uploaded what was in My Documents\Audible\Downloads - chose my purchase, Trainspotting.aa for example - and five minutes later a local and tagged MP3 is now playing.

https://www.online-convert.com/ - used em for years

It only takes files up to 100 meg though, any way of splitting the files into smaller chunks beforehand?

ToneLa

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 08, 2019, 09:00:33 AM
It only takes files up to 100 meg though, any way of splitting the files into smaller chunks beforehand?

Does it? Bah. Took Trainspotting well enough. I'll get back to you :)

Pancake

Does anyone else Audible copy of Nomad still have the bit after 'acknowledgments' where he reads out a list of people/companies he's got grievances with? Sets the tone perfectly but was removed when I re-downloaded it for a second listen.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Spudgun on February 07, 2019, 10:05:15 PM
I've just had a three-month free trial with Audible, and all my freebie choices were Partridge-related. In case it's helpful:

I, Partridge = 6h56, 95.1MB
Nomad = 6h02, 82.7MB
KMKYWAP = 3h55, 53.9MB

Mine are all double the size. You haven't set it to high quality downloads, you silly sausage!

notjosh

Just came across this for the first time: Alan Partridge picks his pop playlist. My favourites...

The Black Beauty theme:
QuoteI love the orchestral bit. But when the singers join in with their doo-doo-doos, you can almost hear them rolling their eyes and sniggering to each other, as if they think songs about horses are beneath them. Pretty unprofessional but there it is.

Steeleye Span - Gaudete
QuoteI learned the words to this in a Derby hotel room after the film crew I was with said they'd meet me in the bar before dinner but then didn't. A genuinely fond memory, despite the idiots.

Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights:
QuoteKate feels every word she sings, never more than in this song. There are times towards the end when you can actually hear the woman wuthering.

Tikwid

If there's a distinction between broad and subtle Alan, then what does CaB reckon are the furthest he's ever been in each direction? Because I was thinking about the sex people scene from IAP, and while it's still pretty funny overall, the "I'm at Dan's big hoouuse...........and BOSCH" line honestly gets my vote for the former. Definitely the kind of line that could've still been funny delivered normally, but which suffered from the whole "make every other sentence sound like a catchphrase" thing that folks seem to agree was a weakness of IAP S2.

Spudgun

Quote from: Utterdrivel on February 09, 2019, 12:03:01 PM
Mine are all double the size. You haven't set it to high quality downloads, you silly sausage!

I suppose maybe that's what you get for refusing to install their proprietary app and downloading the "Format 4" files directly on a PC instead. If yours are double the size, does that make them 64kbps 22.050kHz mono (if you have the tools to check)?

St_Eddie

LIZ HERON: "I'm pregnant.  Ladies and Gentlemen, in five months, I shall be giving birth to a little baby Heron."

ALAN PARTRIDGE: "Not literally.  That would be hideous."

iamcoop

"I felt like I could sell coal to the eskimos"

petril

every time "I" is followed up with ", Alan Partridge"

magval

Anyone remember where it is where Alan explains the difference between 'repel' and 'repulse'?

Ja'moke

Quote from: magval on February 09, 2019, 09:59:12 PM
Anyone remember where it is where Alan explains the difference between 'repel' and 'repulse'?

Welcome To The Places of My Life I think.

ToneLa

Probably dead common this but might be one of my favourite bits:

I have someone on the line who fears he may be a gay. He's married so wishes to remain anonymous...I'm talking to Domingo in Little Oakley

QDRPHNC

Twed

Quote from: ToneLa on February 10, 2019, 07:37:57 PM

I have someone on the line who fears he may be a gay. He's married so wishes to remain anonymous...I'm talking to Domingo in Little Oakley
Love that one so much, since I'm from Great Oakley and my grandmother lives in Little Oakley and you had better believe if there was a Domingo everybody would know about it, let alone a gay man.

The Bumlord

Quote from: Spudgun on February 09, 2019, 06:55:02 PM
I suppose maybe that's what you get for refusing to install their proprietary app and downloading the "Format 4" files directly on a PC instead. If yours are double the size, does that make them 64kbps 22.050kHz mono (if you have the tools to check)?

I 'unno. Just stop being a plum and do things properly!

Format 4 indeed.

Bazooka

Quote from: ToneLa on February 10, 2019, 07:37:57 PM

I think I mentioned it here first, but it really is such a well constructed joke, everything about it is spot on.