Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:16:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Cuellar on February 12, 2019, 08:15:59 PM
What's all that about getting married to a Canadian?! Pretty sure that's never even mentioned in any other things - are these Comic Relief things not canon?

I could be completely wrong here but I vaguely remember reading that his partner in IAP 2 was supposed to be a Canadian woman called Toni, but they ditched that idea and changed it to Sonja.

The Lion King

Quote from: Pancake on February 12, 2019, 04:10:33 PM
His reaction when he had his bum brutally exposed in another Comic Relief is brilliant, half pulling his pleat-fronted slacks up with one hand, as is his reference to the incident as a gang-debagging is I, Partridge

I felt quite sorry for him there! I think that was cited as one of the reasons for his descent into toblerone. Jon Thompson's 'Get him, now' is quite sinister

bradaaron87

Quote from: Cuellar on February 12, 2019, 08:15:59 PM
What's all that about getting married to a Canadian?! Pretty sure that's never even mentioned in any other things - are these Comic Relief things not canon?

He never did marry Toni, presumably. Visa complications? Either way, probably for the best when you consider his state of mind.

Bazooka

Quote from: The Lion King on February 13, 2019, 12:38:40 AM
I felt quite sorry for him there! I think that was cited as one of the reasons for his descent into toblerone. Jon Thompson's 'Get him, now' is quite sinister

Its brilliantly topped with the cream pie being slapped on his arse.

notjosh

Rewatching MMM S1 to get me in the mood for TTWAP. Does anyone know if there's a massive difference between the original Fosters shorts (OFS) and the edited episodes that went out on Sky (EETWOOS)?

Mango Chimes

It's weird Fosters just gave them up, isn't it? Obviously, they'll have been bought out, but nevertheless – if they'd stayed on YouTube, they'd be perpetually successful no-cost sponsored content that would keep them visible. Instead, it's almost forgotten that they were instrumental in restarting one of the greatest comedy characters ever.

Just seen that the Vic & Bob stuff is gone too (uploaded by someone else) so maybe the whole Fosters Comedy thing was a time-limited deal? Seems short-sighted.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Mango Chimes on February 13, 2019, 02:23:53 PM
Just seen that the Vic & Bob stuff is gone too (uploaded by someone else) so maybe the whole Fosters Comedy thing was a time-limited deal? Seems short-sighted.

Ironically enough, being short-sighted is often the result of drinking Fosters.

bradaaron87

Just remembered a bloody great bit from Mid Morning Matters, where Alan plays the Sidekick Simon ditty after Key squirms his way through an explanation of the evil nurse skit he did on Bedtime with Branning.

Pancake

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 14, 2019, 06:17:22 AM
Ironically enough, being short-sighted is often the result of drinking Fosters.

Six of those a day and you're away

Enzo

BeardFaceMan

I do love the way he started saying a hard 'h' in words like 'why' and 'what'.

c

Although I believe it was a conspiracy, to get rid of her, I'm not against the idea of state assassination.

Twed

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 16, 2019, 03:07:35 PM
I do love the way he started saying a hard 'h' in words like 'why' and 'what'.
What made me thus? WHAT made me THUS?

Shaky

Quote from: bradaaron87 on February 12, 2019, 02:58:20 PM
Comic Relief '99. Impossible to pick one gem; the whole thing is basically just one massive gem.

https://youtu.be/f2hFb0vleDM

This is apex Alan. Peak Partridge, if you will.

It slots so well into Partridge canon I wonder if they were already intending to have him suffer a breakdown, some three years before the next series?

Also the first time I've noticed the Goldeneye jacket!

notjosh

Rewatching MMM it strikes me what a well-produced radio show Alan is running. Music aside, there's a constant flow of new formats, varied in-studio guests, stunts and phone-ins (with a very engaged listenership). I've worked around radio a little bit and it is by no means easy to run a daily show like that. Especially as Alan appears to be producing himself. I'd listen to it.

ian01604

Quote from: Yussef Dent on February 13, 2019, 12:18:09 AM
I could be completely wrong here but I vaguely remember reading that his partner in IAP 2 was supposed to be a Canadian woman called Toni, but they ditched that idea and changed it to Sonja.
yeah I remember reading that in an interview prior to the series. I'm sure it also said they would be living in a houseboat too.

ToneLa

I'm glad they didn't go that way, Sonja and a caravan is more likely for the character

kalowski

I don't have Nomad in front of me. Doesn't detective Swallow live on a houseboat?

ToneLa

Can't find a reference to it, just Flint's house:

QDRPHNC

Sonia is great, but it would have been great seeing Alan with a brash North American type too. Dragging him to things he doesn't want to go to and embarrassing him in public by speaking her mind. Although are you sure you're not getting this mixed up with Toni from Peep Show, who was played by a Canadian?

Kryton

My all time favourite Partidge moment is this. The Mary call. [edited unused Alan]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWpBH1je2Ks&t=203s

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on February 18, 2019, 12:17:04 AM
Sonia is great, but it would have been great seeing Alan with a brash North American type too. Dragging him to things he doesn't want to go to and embarrassing him in public by speaking her mind. Although are you sure you're not getting this mixed up with Toni from Peep Show, who was played by a Canadian?

Are you sure you aren't getting Toni mixed up with Merry (sp?), who was Canadian in the show (and owned Jez's/Hans' pub)? Or have I got that wrong also?

imitationleather

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 18, 2019, 12:58:33 AM
Are you sure you aren't getting Toni mixed up with Merry (sp?), who was Canadian in the show (and owned Jez's/Hans' pub)? Or have I got that wrong also?

Clearly getting Toni mixed up with Nancy, who was American in the show but played by a Canadian.

Toni was English in the show and played by an English person.

Twed

No, Merry was the woman from the sectioning episode, and was a Canadian character played by a Canadian (Meredith MacNeill).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0672488/

Mobius

STOP TALKING ABOUT AMERICAN THINGS!

And let's watch the greatest movie ever made

The Lion King

Just listening to I partridge again, and after all these years without questioning the name I finally realise why he called his production company 'Pear Tree Productions'

kalowski

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: The Lion King on February 18, 2019, 01:54:37 AM
Just listening to I partridge again, and after all these years without questioning the name I finally realise why he called his production company 'Pear Tree Productions'

One for the "I am a thick cunt " "0bvi0us th1ngs Y0u 0nly ju5t realised " thread.

kalowski

Getting Toni, Merry and Nancy mixed up with Tex, short for Terry and Texas and that. He likes American stuff.

Captain Z

Quote from: The Lion King on February 18, 2019, 01:54:37 AM

And get this that only struck me this morning: Steve Coogan's real life production company is called 'Baby Cow'. A baby cow is a calf, as in Paul and Pauline.