Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:54:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petril

Quote from: Captain Z on February 18, 2019, 10:52:56 AM
And get this that only struck me this morning: Steve Coogan's real life production company is called 'Baby Cow'. A baby cow is a calf, as in Paul and Pauline.

and what do cows often produce? a bag o' shite

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Kryton

'He's sort of Batman to my Robin, You wouldn't want Robin on his own. If the people of Gotham were in trouble, they wouldn't call Robin, they'd call the police'.

zomgmouse

Chollis

....and please don't call in saying i'm encouraging people to kill themselves (again). I'm suggesting that one person throw himself off Clifton Suspension Bridge, because he is and hopefully soon to be was, a very unpleasant individual....a bit like...Jammmiroquaiiii...

Cold Meat Platter

"We'll be following every twang, whoosh and ka-doing of what is shaping up to be a classic British Archery Championship."

the

Quote from: Captain Z on February 18, 2019, 10:52:56 AMAnd get this that only struck me this morning: Steve Coogan's real life production company is called 'Baby Cow'. A baby cow is a calf, as in Paul and Pauline.

It's also a line from the Get Calf episode of Coogan's Run. Paul meets a member of a religious cult - as they shake hands:

Cult member:  "My name's Dolphin, as in the mammal."
Paul:  "Calf - as in baby cow."

mrpupkin

It's much more than a place to buy cheese, chops, chocs and cheap chicken, chicory and chives.

QDRPHNC

Ferris

2 popped into my head today, the first from I, Partridge describing the in-house radio station he briefly worked at:

"It was a concept way, way, way ahead of its time - indeed, it folded within weeks"

Secondly, the conversation on self-service scanners in MMM. It would be easy to make him angry at the machines, but he's actually angry at other people being angry at the scanners because it implies they aren't scanning their items correctly. Great bit of character work.

Cuellar

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 03, 2019, 06:10:34 PM
Secondly, the conversation on self-service scanners in MMM. It would be easy to make him angry at the machines, but he's actually angry at other people being angry at the scanners because it implies they aren't scanning their items correctly. Great bit of character work.

And I'm with him 100%.

Ferris

Quote from: Cuellar on March 03, 2019, 06:17:04 PM
And I'm with him 100%.

As am I, but it's not the obvious boorish Top Gear opinion that would be so easy to apply to him. That was supplied by the guest and Sidekick Simon.

chveik

"let me put that in context for you: FLYING AIDS"

"perhaps he'd be selling knock-off teletubbies stuffed with old tampons"

"should lightning decide to strike"

from Welcome to the Places of My Life

buttgammon

"It was either a gun, or the brush from a dustpan and brush."

The Jed Maxwell section in I, Partridge is great in its entirety, but this line always has me in hysterics.

mr. logic

Captain Z

Oh Alan. Where's your sense of humour gone?

Twed

Quote from: Captain Z on March 06, 2019, 02:05:21 PM
Oh Alan. Where's your sense of humour gone?
She is a fantastic character. I don't know if anybody has ever caught that same sense of domestic, lonely desperate insanity in a comedy character before.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twed on March 06, 2019, 06:49:29 PM
She is a fantastic character. I don't know if anybody has ever caught that same sense of domestic, lonely desperate insanity in a comedy character before.

I know that character cropped up in Anglian Lives: Alan Partridge but am I right in thinking that it may have originally been a deleted scene from I'm Alan Partridge series 2?  The lack of a studio audience laughter track would suggest not, but it's possible that it was recorded with the intention of it being used as a VT.  Either way, fantastic scene and as mentioned previously in this thread, I adore the actress incorporating her corpsing into her character.

shiftwork2

It's one of the greatest Partridge scenes.  Mary, the sudden loud studio audio, and 'Tuna Melt' with 'Contact Lens'.  That it didn't make it in tells you all you need to know about IAP2.

St_Eddie

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 06, 2019, 11:26:36 PM
It's one of the greatest Partridge scenes.  Mary, the sudden loud studio audio, and 'Tuna Melt' with 'Contact Lens'.  That it didn't make it in tells you all you need to know about IAP2.

That's exactly why I was asking as to whether it was filmed for the second series.  It would figure if one of the greatest Partridge moments was omitted from one of the worst Partridge related things.

paruses

So pleased about the Mary appreciation.

She is possibly my favourite character / interaction. She seems to draw so much from Alan - pity, fear, bit of lust, impatience, selfishness. The bit where you're drawn in to thinking she might have (at best) self-harmed and Alan seems to be doing an Ian Lee in keeping her on the line is making me laugh even now when it turns out he just wants to make sure she's gone.

I could listen to her for hours but glad there isn't loads.

It's Amelia Bullmore isn't it? (Excuse the spelling)

Cuellar

I love all the Mary stuff. And she says 'I thought it was smashing' in a way that sounds exactly like Kenneth Williams in a Hancock's Half Hour.

batwings

a couple of gems from the Mid Morning Matters outtakes:

Alan: "Sometimes the farmers can react violently to-"
Former SAS man: "-to boy scouts?"
Alan "Yes. They can come out with a shotgun."
Simon: "Or invite them in."
Alan: "And bum them."
Simon: "At gunpoint."

===================

"That was local voiceover artist, John Meeber, who can do any voice. We'd get him in but he's housebound. He had his downstairs loo converted to a soundbooth with an ISDN line installed in 2000.

This is a song for John Meeber. Living in a box by Living in a Box."

Ferris

Trying to keep Ibrahim on the line while the agony aunt is out (and doing the travel updates.

QuotePolly, thank god - I've got a sad Arab on line 3

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: paruses on March 07, 2019, 10:10:48 AM
It's Amelia Bullmore isn't it?

I've always thought so, but others reckon it's Julia Deakin.

Bad Ambassador

Fronty Prongs

Can anyone recommend a good starting place for Partridge? Parents have been cajoling me to do my homework on him for ages but never get round to it. Love him in On The Hour though.

"Oxford and Cambridge, undisputed champions of... Racing boats. But where are the others? I wonder how Norwich are doing"

When interviewing a showjumper "Stil, you hit all the right fences"

And CM's merciless handovers to him. "... And I understand Alan, at the weekend your wife rose from the dead!"

Note - it's only my parents who remind me to get further into Partridge, not parents in general on some kind of campaign.

BritishHobo

I'd really recommend doing it in order. Radio version of Knowing Me, Knowing You, then the TV version, then I'm Alan Partridge, and on from there. It's really great seeing a whole career in order.

DrGreggles

Quote from: BritishHobo on March 08, 2019, 07:43:03 AM
I'd really recommend doing it in order. Radio version of Knowing Me, Knowing You, then the TV version, then I'm Alan Partridge, and on from there. It's really great seeing a whole career in order.

Yes, there's definite character growth.
And Coogan's performances are increasingly amazing.

If I had to name my single favourite Alan it would be the I Partridge audiobook. It's just fucking perfect.
Working towards it chronologically makes it even more rewarding though.

Norton Canes

Where's this Mary scene from? An IAP2 deleted scene? Alpha Papa?

I've got the IAP2 DVD and I'm sure I've watched all the extras, don't remember this.