Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:41:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markpaterson

Yesterday's quickfire phone in only yielded 3 calls. My mistake. I think panel beating was too narrow a topic. So today we're going to open it up with the question, "What is the best thing?"

imitationleather

"Come on, Jill. You're from Holt. You're from Holt, Jill!"

mr. logic

Quote from: imitationleather on March 24, 2019, 11:13:53 AM
"Come on, Jill. You're from Holt. You're from Holt, Jill!"

Haha, yeah! I love how inexplicably hyper and rowdy he gets in that little moment. And the spiteful little exchange that follows.

The Lion King

Quote from: mr. logic on March 24, 2019, 11:23:14 AM
Haha, yeah! I love how inexplicably hyper and rowdy he gets in that little moment. And the spiteful little exchange that follows.

'Yea well you are the rudith, Judith'

kidney

I've recently revisited Mid-Morning Matters and greatly enjoyed Alan calling his ex-wife a "fucking witch"

Chriddof

Quote from: popcorn on March 22, 2019, 12:11:40 PM
One of the Miss Norwich models from Knowing Me Knowing You was the hotel manager in I'm Alan Partridge. Fuck my hat!

Had no idea about that either! Similar kind of thing with the widow of Tony Hayers, who was played by the Jam Festival lady in The Day Today (and Simon's mum in CBBC favourite Simon And The Witch).

Twed

Just want to point out that maybe-obvious thing that Susan/Miss Norwich was also the mum from My Parents Are Aliens.

magval

My brother pointed out to me today that Alan mentions in Joe Beazley's introduction that he first saw his act fifteen years ago. I'd never once picked up on that detail before, and it adds a lot more dimension to the sketch. Joe's act presumably not changing or improving and Alan's bizarre and commendable sense of obligation and debt are added as extra reasons why this is one of the best comedy segments ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT_W6FwN_hY

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twed on March 24, 2019, 08:28:03 PM
Just want to point out that maybe-obvious thing that Susan/Miss Norwich was also the mum from My Parents Are Aliens.

She was also in Boon, First of the Summer Wine, The Bill and the 1987 film Wish You Were Here...welling up here.

Ferris

Quote from: magval on March 31, 2019, 11:39:27 PM
My brother pointed out to me today that Alan mentions in Joe Beazley's introduction that he first saw his act fifteen years ago. I'd never once picked up on that detail before, and it adds a lot more dimension to the sketch. Joe's act presumably not changing or improving and Alan's bizarre and commendable sense of obligation and debt are added as extra reasons why this is one of the best comedy segments ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT_W6FwN_hY

And "15 years ago" would be 1979 when this aired, making Partridge 24 or thereabouts.

A 24 year old Partridge going around watching bad ventriloquists and making absurd career promises to them (instead of doing whatever else it is 24 year olds do) is also a very funny concept.

Terryfuckwit

Carmella Soprano trying to bond with her son AJ:

"And you know Ringo wasn't the original drummer. It was Pete Best. And they fired him. Then he put out his own album 'Best of The Beatles'."

Yer Man

The bit in Partridge over Britain when Alan speaks to David Silk on the phone and asks him 'David, are you wearing any silk?' and he says 'no I'm naked'. The look on Alan's face is priceless. That's my funniest ever Partridge moment.

batwings

Talking about a schoolboy nemesis he still bears a grudge against:

"He's got a pathetic life. I've parked outside his house and watched him come and go many times and he's got a pathetic life. Who is he? He's Steve Mcoombe, a nobody and I... I AM ALAN PARTRIDGE."

popcorn

I love this one. So simple and so pleasing:

SFO Steve Stubbs: And if you do anything to endanger the lives of those hostages, so help me God I will take off this police uniform and make you pay for it.

Alan Partridge: You want me to pay for your police uniform?

kalowski

Charlotte Fraser, Labour, we see these pictures of old woman's faces in the paper, surely the best way to deal with hooligans is to hang them by the neck until the spinal column is severed thus starving the body of oxygen, isn't that the best, most sensible way to deal with them?

Twed

"A Partridge Amongst the Pigeons"
"What's that?"
"Well it's just a title."

Good insight into Alan's mindset. He just wants to make something bog-standard and full of tropes, but with him as the star.

Also good is him imagining it starting with him in Trafalgar Square "going oh god".

petril

Quote from: Twed on April 05, 2019, 08:09:09 AM
"A Partridge Amongst the Pigeons"
"What's that?"
"Well it's just a title."

similarly "A Partridge in Paris... A.PartridgeInParis AlanPartridgeinParis", the insecurity and contempt for the audience, "oooh they might not get that it's so clever"

Twed

The "are you getting out here or going all the way with me?" lift scene is incredible.

Alan's uncomfortable face. Susan's confidence, knowing the power she has over Alan. And then afterwards, Alan trying to save face with himself by saying "this country". He was on the back foot, but making a comment about the downfall of society puts him back in control, in his mind.

Twed

Lynne: "I'm just doing a bit of tidying."
Alan: "Tidying?"
Lynne: "Don't worry. I didn't go near... your drawer."

The dramatic performance of this exchange is definitely an homage to soap operas. The way Alan hovers with his hand in the drawer.

QDRPHNC

paruses

Quote from: popcorn on April 04, 2019, 03:54:38 PM
I love this one. So simple and so pleasing:

SFO Steve Stubbs: And if you do anything to endanger the lives of those hostages, so help me God I will take off this police uniform and make you pay for it.

Alan Partridge: You want me to pay for your police uniform?

Ha! That's popped into my head a couple of days ago and really made me laugh out of nowhere; even though it's signalled a mile away I love it.

popcorn

Quote from: paruses on April 05, 2019, 06:34:13 PM
Ha! That's popped into my head a couple of days ago and really made me laugh out of nowhere; even though it's signalled a mile away I love it.

Yes. I love how it's just a classic gag, like something from Police Squad, and even though it's predictable there's something amusingly inevitable about it.

notjosh

This is good fun. Nice to see Coogan laughing at the bits of Partridge he'd forgotten about:

How well does Steve Coogan know Alan Partridge?

Cuellar

"I just fist it into a discarded coffee beaker and pop it into a canal"

"The first made his money from online activity. And the second? Well, let me give you a clue; If you've ever been in a tanning studio in the county of Norfolk, chances are he owns it. That's right; it's Darrell Flench!"

paruses

Just watching Scissored Isle - when the security guard discovers him in the warehouse you hear a quiet incredulous "what have you done with your fucking clothes?"

kalowski

"Scope?  Why do they change the name and ruin it? Consignia and Scope. It's the Post Office and the s*****c Society."

kalowski

"I wanted to watch Roger Moore necking with Fiona Fullerton. And instead, I have to watch a giant Michael Bolton lookalike, in a tight vest, throwing an oven over bales of hay!"