Author Topic: Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon  (Read 103709 times)

St_Eddie

• *The Patron Saint of Scallywags*
  • Silver Member
Re: Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon
« Reply #1230 on: April 20, 2019, 03:36:20 PM »
"Scope?  Why do they change the name and ruin it? Consignia and Scope. It’s the Post Office and the Spastic Society."

When I watched that in my youth, I thought to myself 'what a prat' but sadly, I increasingly find that quote to be more and more relatable with every passing year.

kalowski

• Sooner or later
« Reply #1231 on: April 20, 2019, 05:06:15 PM »
When I watched that in my youth, I thought to myself 'what a prat' but sadly, I increasingly find that quote to be more and more relatable with every passing year.
Surely you mean "What a dilbert!"

St_Eddie

• *The Patron Saint of Scallywags*
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1232 on: April 20, 2019, 05:22:18 PM »

What a dilbert!

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
  • "A soupçon of pizzazz."
« Reply #1233 on: April 20, 2019, 06:12:35 PM »
Don't know where else to post this, but in I:P he mentioned Arlo Wholefoods. In Nomad, he talks about Arlo Says Action, a production facility inside a converted barn. I wonder if Alan talked Arlo into doing it, promising him a lucrative stream of corporate promotional video work that never materialized.

I realize how far into nerd territory I am at this point.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 06:40:09 PM by QDRPHNC »

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
  • Less tired. Still sorry if my posts are shit.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #1234 on: April 20, 2019, 07:08:43 PM »
Don't know where else to post this, but in I:P he mentioned Arlo Wholefoods. In Nomad, he talks about Arlo Says Action, a production facility inside a converted barn. I wonder if Alan talked Arlo into doing it, promising him a lucrative stream of corporate promotional video work that never materialized.

I realize how far into nerd territory I am at this point.

He claims that Arlo convinces him to work on them though (“saying the fee was high and the time commitment minimal”). Could be a bluff, but it seems that he’s always been pals with mid-level regional media barons, such as the inimitable Pete Gabitas. It’s why he does all those shit van ads on local radio.

I think Arlo is innocent here.

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1235 on: April 20, 2019, 07:13:10 PM »
I guess “willing to go along with” local media barons, rather than just being friendly with.

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
« Reply #1236 on: April 20, 2019, 07:35:42 PM »
He claims that Arlo convinces him to work on them though (“saying the fee was high and the time commitment minimal”). Could be a bluff, but it seems that he’s always been pals with mid-level regional media barons, such as the inimitable Pete Gabitas. It’s why he does all those shit van ads on local radio.

I think Arlo is innocent here.

See, I thought that too. But it could also be a bluff, in the same way he claims Sidekick Simon was hitting himself with the fire extinguisher in Nomad. He doesn't want to take responsibility for running Arlo's thriving wholefoods concern into the ground.

Arlo is innocent whichever way you slice it, definitely the victim here, either of market forces, or Partridge. It wasn't his fault that Gary and Larry selected "Think!" for BBC corporate training purposes.

FerriswheelBueller

• Golden Todger or
  • Silver Member
« Reply #1237 on: April 21, 2019, 12:52:36 AM »
Though it does indicate a lack of care in procuring the video by Gary (or Larry)

Twed

• "J" Joe Jeans and his jelly beans
« Reply #1238 on: April 28, 2019, 05:08:39 AM »
Anglian Lives is seriously underrated. Some of the best Partridge, ever. Probably the best IAP-era Partridge full stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5KH-vxNc6g "Part 2" especially. The hawker, the way he says "throat cancer" in a French accent. The hawker's really funny jokes (super kestrel). Alan's extreme annoyance with the plane crash/supermodel cannibalism caller. That in particular shows a part of Alan's character that I think is great: he's actually quite an intelligent person, despite being socially oblivious. He's often annoyed with other people being slower than him.

kalowski

• Sooner or later
« Reply #1239 on: April 28, 2019, 08:21:25 AM »
Anglian Lives is seriously underrated. Some of the best Partridge, ever. Probably the best IAP-era Partridge full stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5KH-vxNc6g "Part 2" especially. The hawker, the way he says "throat cancer" in a French accent. The hawker's really funny jokes (super kestrel). Alan's extreme annoyance with the plane crash/supermodel cannibalism caller. That in particular shows a part of Alan's character that I think is great: he's actually quite an intelligent person, despite being socially oblivious. He's often annoyed with other people being slower than him.
I know I have read downer on TTWAP but you can see the difference in quality. Anglian Lives is consistently funny, rarely goes over the top ("James Cameroon") and doesn't rely on silly pronunciation (except for digital Dave).

It's great.

« Reply #1240 on: April 28, 2019, 06:53:09 PM »
I know I have read downer on TTWAP but you can see the difference in quality. Anglian Lives is consistently funny, rarely goes over the top ("James Cameroon") and doesn't rely on silly pronunciation (except for digital Dave).

Tittanic.

gmoney

• Hug a jug of wine
« Reply #1241 on: May 08, 2019, 01:44:05 PM »
*One the phone*

Get her a babydoll nightie. Put a bow on it and wrap it in bubble wrap ... ... I know it's not going to smash Lynn, WRAP IT IN BUBBLE WRAP.

gilbertharding

• Not even the rudest man in the Beatles
« Reply #1242 on: May 08, 2019, 04:01:16 PM »
If no-one's mentioned it yet, I always like the exchange with the estate agent about the school near the house, because at the time I was helping design a school with a hearing-impaired unit and during every meeting I was resisting the temptation to check that they were 'just deaf... they're not deaf offenders.'

QDRPHNC

• Golden Member
« Reply #1243 on: May 08, 2019, 04:06:39 PM »
If no-one's mentioned it yet, I always like the exchange with the estate agent about the school near the house, because at the time I was helping design a school with a hearing-impaired unit and during every meeting I was resisting the temptation to check that they were 'just deaf... they're not deaf offenders.'

I think the guy playing the estate agent is brilliant in it. Captures that slightly awkward ingratiating nervousness very well.

All Surrogate

• People like you just fuel my fire.
« Reply #1244 on: May 08, 2019, 07:09:13 PM »
I think the guy playing the estate agent is brilliant in it.

Philip Fox, the original Baldrick.

kalowski

• Sooner or later
« Reply #1245 on: May 08, 2019, 08:48:56 PM »
"That mean there will be noise or there won’t be noise?"

« Reply #1246 on: May 15, 2019, 03:53:09 AM »