Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:15:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: kalowski on April 19, 2019, 08:51:09 PM
"Scope?  Why do they change the name and ruin it? Consignia and Scope. It's the Post Office and the s*****c Society."

When I watched that in my youth, I thought to myself 'what a prat' but sadly, I increasingly find that quote to be more and more relatable with every passing year.

kalowski

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 20, 2019, 03:36:20 PM
When I watched that in my youth, I thought to myself 'what a prat' but sadly, I increasingly find that quote to be more and more relatable with every passing year.
Surely you mean "What a dilbert!"

St_Eddie

What a dilbert!

QDRPHNC

Don't know where else to post this, but in I:P he mentioned Arlo Wholefoods. In Nomad, he talks about Arlo Says Action, a production facility inside a converted barn. I wonder if Alan talked Arlo into doing it, promising him a lucrative stream of corporate promotional video work that never materialized.

I realize how far into nerd territory I am at this point.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 20, 2019, 06:12:35 PM
Don't know where else to post this, but in I:P he mentioned Arlo Wholefoods. In Nomad, he talks about Arlo Says Action, a production facility inside a converted barn. I wonder if Alan talked Arlo into doing it, promising him a lucrative stream of corporate promotional video work that never materialized.

I realize how far into nerd territory I am at this point.

He claims that Arlo convinces him to work on them though ("saying the fee was high and the time commitment minimal"). Could be a bluff, but it seems that he's always been pals with mid-level regional media barons, such as the inimitable Pete Gabitas. It's why he does all those shit van ads on local radio.

I think Arlo is innocent here.

Ferris

I guess "willing to go along with" local media barons, rather than just being friendly with.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 20, 2019, 07:08:43 PM
He claims that Arlo convinces him to work on them though ("saying the fee was high and the time commitment minimal"). Could be a bluff, but it seems that he's always been pals with mid-level regional media barons, such as the inimitable Pete Gabitas. It's why he does all those shit van ads on local radio.

I think Arlo is innocent here.

See, I thought that too. But it could also be a bluff, in the same way he claims Sidekick Simon was hitting himself with the fire extinguisher in Nomad. He doesn't want to take responsibility for running Arlo's thriving wholefoods concern into the ground.

Arlo is innocent whichever way you slice it, definitely the victim here, either of market forces, or Partridge. It wasn't his fault that Gary and Larry selected "Think!" for BBC corporate training purposes.

Ferris

Though it does indicate a lack of care in procuring the video by Gary (or Larry)

Twed

Anglian Lives is seriously underrated. Some of the best Partridge, ever. Probably the best IAP-era Partridge full stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5KH-vxNc6g "Part 2" especially. The hawker, the way he says "throat cancer" in a French accent. The hawker's really funny jokes (super kestrel). Alan's extreme annoyance with the plane crash/supermodel cannibalism caller. That in particular shows a part of Alan's character that I think is great: he's actually quite an intelligent person, despite being socially oblivious. He's often annoyed with other people being slower than him.

kalowski

Quote from: Twed on April 28, 2019, 05:08:39 AM
Anglian Lives is seriously underrated. Some of the best Partridge, ever. Probably the best IAP-era Partridge full stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5KH-vxNc6g "Part 2" especially. The hawker, the way he says "throat cancer" in a French accent. The hawker's really funny jokes (super kestrel). Alan's extreme annoyance with the plane crash/supermodel cannibalism caller. That in particular shows a part of Alan's character that I think is great: he's actually quite an intelligent person, despite being socially oblivious. He's often annoyed with other people being slower than him.
I know I have read downer on TTWAP but you can see the difference in quality. Anglian Lives is consistently funny, rarely goes over the top ("James Cameroon") and doesn't rely on silly pronunciation (except for digital Dave).

It's great.

popcorn

Quote from: kalowski on April 28, 2019, 08:21:25 AM
I know I have read downer on TTWAP but you can see the difference in quality. Anglian Lives is consistently funny, rarely goes over the top ("James Cameroon") and doesn't rely on silly pronunciation (except for digital Dave).

Tittanic.

gmoney

*One the phone*

Get her a babydoll nightie. Put a bow on it and wrap it in bubble wrap ... ... I know it's not going to smash Lynn, WRAP IT IN BUBBLE WRAP.

gilbertharding

If no-one's mentioned it yet, I always like the exchange with the estate agent about the school near the house, because at the time I was helping design a school with a hearing-impaired unit and during every meeting I was resisting the temptation to check that they were 'just deaf... they're not deaf offenders.'

QDRPHNC

Quote from: gilbertharding on May 08, 2019, 04:01:16 PM
If no-one's mentioned it yet, I always like the exchange with the estate agent about the school near the house, because at the time I was helping design a school with a hearing-impaired unit and during every meeting I was resisting the temptation to check that they were 'just deaf... they're not deaf offenders.'

I think the guy playing the estate agent is brilliant in it. Captures that slightly awkward ingratiating nervousness very well.

All Surrogate

kalowski

"That mean there will be noise or there won't be noise?"

HeyJude

I realize I'm late to the party, but I just noticed something for the first time.

MMMWAP series 2, episode 1, when Alan is singing the Prayer of St Francis, his lyrics are:

"O Master grant that I may never seek
so much seek to be controlled as to control"

Control instead of console, which changes the entire meaning.  Brilliant.

Nuts 'n Gum

Quote from: Yer Man on April 02, 2019, 03:23:21 PM
The bit in Partridge over Britain when Alan speaks to David Silk on the phone and asks him 'David, are you wearing any silk?' and he says 'no I'm naked'. The look on Alan's face is priceless. That's my funniest ever Partridge moment.
Yes! This. I'm making my first post on here in years I love that quote so much.

Twed

Quote from: HeyJude on June 15, 2019, 12:06:18 AM
I realize I'm late to the party, but I just noticed something for the first time.

MMMWAP series 2, episode 1, when Alan is singing the Prayer of St Francis, his lyrics are:

"O Master grant that I may never seek
so much seek to be controlled as to control"

Control instead of console, which changes the entire meaning.  Brilliant.
Wonderful observation! Wow. (sorry if that sounds sarcastic, I really mean it)

Joined up here just to enter into this conversation – I've been watching a lot of Mid Morning Matters recently and it really is a hotbed of obscure, piss-funny quotes.

"Now though, some music from the artist formerly known as the Artist Formerly Known As Prince; now known formally, and informally, as Prince.
Sorry, it's Yazoo... I mean Yazz."

For Alan to get it wrong once is funny – to get it wrong twice in the same sentence is fantastic scriptwriting. 

Also, has no one mentioned that nervous swallowing thing Alan does?  I absolutely love that.  One of my favourite examples, when Angela demands Freddie the dog back: 

Alan: Only the other night, I was taking him out in the garden for a piddle, and he looked up at me, as if to say, "You're better than this, Alan.. and whatever happens, I will always be your friend."

Simon: I bet you wanted to hug him.

Alan: Yeah. When I turned round he was over by the bins eating some pat..*HUGE SWALLOW* pate.

robhug

Re 'The Deaf', whenever one is pointed out whether in my personal or professional life I will immediately ask for confirmation that they are just deaf and not deaf offenders.

Its an affiliation that does me absolutely no favours.

QDRPHNC

Fisher Goes Berserk

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on July 30, 2019, 01:54:07 PM
Also, has no one mentioned that nervous swallowing thing Alan does?  I absolutely love that.

Makes me laugh every time. I think my favourite is "Yeaaah, think I'll go read Simon Heffer... on the veranda... ain't no-one gonna stop me... KKGGHH-urgh."

Ferris

He has a good one in MMM during the faux Inland Revenue on-air climb-down as well, I seem to remember.

Cuellar

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on July 30, 2019, 01:54:07 PM
"Now though, some music from the artist formerly known as the Artist Formerly Known As Prince; now known formally, and informally, as Prince.
Sorry, it's Yazoo... I mean Yazz."

Definitely one of my favourite bits - his descent from smug satisfaction at his wordplay to completing ballsing it up TWICE is great.

Ferris

The whole "Wayne Wooney - top one!" dialogue, including the sad trumpet noise at the end from MMM

oy vey

Quote from: Twed on April 28, 2019, 05:08:39 AM

Absolutely, superior to the similarly styled Open Books. Lots of low key yet sublime one-liners. They put raisins in their currys. Bloody awful. But they deliver.

robhug

I will be the first to hold my hands up and say in the past, circa 1983, i developed a robust dislike for the gay community, but that was before i met Dale Winton. And i realised i had absolutely nothing to worry about

"I actually spent 3 days at the Earls Court Boat Show with Dale Winton, Paul O'Grady and Noel Edmonds...he's not gay but you get the picture."