Author Topic: Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon  (Read 113825 times)

Re: Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon
« Reply #1260 on: July 31, 2019, 10:19:16 AM »
If you’d have told me 25 years ago that I was going to be talking about rigid inflatable hulls with Dale Winton, i’d probably have spat at you.

buttgammon

• You can't trust a man what's made of gas
« Reply #1261 on: July 31, 2019, 11:39:57 AM »
One of the gayest men in Europe.

buttgammon

• You can't trust a man what's made of gas
« Reply #1262 on: August 04, 2019, 12:54:26 AM »
Hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot ham.

The Lurker

• Your whole life has led up to you reading this
« Reply #1263 on: August 04, 2019, 05:39:58 AM »
It's me on me, on Alan on Alan, on I on I, on Partridge on Partridge

Autopsy Turvey

• Albert The Grinder vs The Hooded Terror
« Reply #1264 on: August 06, 2019, 10:02:06 PM »
"Your holes are too big to catch the Nobel Peace Prize fish of Literature."

"Organ malfunctions."

"Ally 'Arris"

« Reply #1265 on: August 07, 2019, 10:19:54 AM »
"Your holes are too big to catch the Nobel Peace Prize fish of Literature."

Alan:
It's a big fish. Your net's full of holes.
Lawrence:
All nets are full of holes.
Alan:
Granted.

oy vey

• [sic]
« Reply #1266 on: August 08, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »
Has the ramble been posted yet? There's an extract in Anglian Lives but here's the full whack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBiJDmkpZQc

So much in this. The pause before Francis Rossi of Status Quo, the I am not Jesus controversy, the vending machines in hedges, the poignant ending...

« Reply #1267 on: August 12, 2019, 03:39:18 PM »
Has the ramble been posted yet? There's an extract in Anglian Lives but here's the full whack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBiJDmkpZQc

So much in this. The pause before Francis Rossi of Status Quo, the I am not Jesus controversy, the vending machines in hedges, the poignant ending...

Yeah, the bit at the end where his voice cracks when he sings "I'm A One Man Band" is fantastic. 

I also love the way he says "..about the size of a slim Panatella" when discussing the contents of the hedgerow vending machines.  (Panatella being a word I probably haven't heard since the 1980's) 

« Reply #1268 on: August 12, 2019, 03:40:57 PM »
This band are the words I said to my girlfriend last week on her birthday; UB40... Four

kalowski

• the Zone of Zero Funkativity
« Reply #1269 on: August 12, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »

Very nice. I have never seen the full clip before. That is top quality Partridge.

the

« Reply #1270 on: August 12, 2019, 04:02:12 PM »
I also love the way he says "..about the size of a slim Panatella" when discussing the contents of the hedgerow vending machines.  (Panatella being a word I probably haven't heard since the 1980's)

In the rally driving item in The Day Today, he also compares the size of the helmet camera he's wearing to a slim Panatella. Something of a touchstone.

The Christmas ramble was originally produced for 1994's A Christmas Night With The Stars, albeit in a shorter edit to the one on the KMKY DVD extras (which is where that YT version is from). It also had the studio audience's laughter over it.

The Partridge contribution to that show was the best thing about it (with the possible exception of Fry & Laurie's links). Considering the 1994-era talent contributing to the show (R&M, The Fast Show, Alexei Sayle), it was a bit of a damp squib.

« Reply #1271 on: August 13, 2019, 06:09:51 PM »
Compleme Cunm

kalowski

• the Zone of Zero Funkativity
« Reply #1272 on: August 13, 2019, 06:18:17 PM »
In the rally driving item in The Day Today, he also compares the size of the helmet camera he's wearing to a slim Panatella. Something of a touchstone.
Yes, I knew I recognised it from somewhere. Great that they have a kind of consistency to this. It's why he's such an enduring character (and why The Time with...) didn't work for me.

oy vey

• [sic]
« Reply #1273 on: August 13, 2019, 06:50:34 PM »
(and why The Time with...) didn't work for me.

Mmmmhmmm yes. I do like TT, but it's all over the place.

Conversely, the earlier laughter free stuff proved Alan's depth and versatility pre-Gibbons.

It also had the studio audience's laughter over it.

I don't want to get bogged down in the whole laughter nest of vipers, etc. Good catch on the panatella.