Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:06:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robhug

If you'd have told me 25 years ago that I was going to be talking about rigid inflatable hulls with Dale Winton, i'd probably have spat at you.

buttgammon

buttgammon

The Lurker

It's me on me, on Alan on Alan, on I on I, on Partridge on Partridge

Autopsy Turvey

"Your holes are too big to catch the Nobel Peace Prize fish of Literature."

"Organ malfunctions."

"Ally 'Arris"

robhug

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on August 06, 2019, 10:02:06 PM
"Your holes are too big to catch the Nobel Peace Prize fish of Literature."

Alan:
It's a big fish. Your net's full of holes.
Lawrence:
All nets are full of holes.
Alan:
Granted.

oy vey

Has the ramble been posted yet? There's an extract in Anglian Lives but here's the full whack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBiJDmkpZQc

So much in this. The pause before Francis Rossi of Status Quo, the I am not Jesus controversy, the vending machines in hedges, the poignant ending...

Quote from: oy vey on August 08, 2019, 05:56:49 PM
Has the ramble been posted yet? There's an extract in Anglian Lives but here's the full whack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBiJDmkpZQc

So much in this. The pause before Francis Rossi of Status Quo, the I am not Jesus controversy, the vending machines in hedges, the poignant ending...

Yeah, the bit at the end where his voice cracks when he sings "I'm A One Man Band" is fantastic. 

I also love the way he says "..about the size of a slim Panatella" when discussing the contents of the hedgerow vending machines.  (Panatella being a word I probably haven't heard since the 1980's) 

This band are the words I said to my girlfriend last week on her birthday; UB40... Four

kalowski

Quote from: oy vey on August 08, 2019, 05:56:49 PM

Very nice. I have never seen the full clip before. That is top quality Partridge.

the

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on August 12, 2019, 03:39:18 PMI also love the way he says "..about the size of a slim Panatella" when discussing the contents of the hedgerow vending machines.  (Panatella being a word I probably haven't heard since the 1980's)

In the rally driving item in The Day Today, he also compares the size of the helmet camera he's wearing to a slim Panatella. Something of a touchstone.

The Christmas ramble was originally produced for 1994's A Christmas Night With The Stars, albeit in a shorter edit to the one on the KMKY DVD extras (which is where that YT version is from). It also had the studio audience's laughter over it.

The Partridge contribution to that show was the best thing about it (with the possible exception of Fry & Laurie's links). Considering the 1994-era talent contributing to the show (R&M, The Fast Show, Alexei Sayle), it was a bit of a damp squib.

kalowski

Quote from: the on August 12, 2019, 04:02:12 PM
In the rally driving item in The Day Today, he also compares the size of the helmet camera he's wearing to a slim Panatella. Something of a touchstone.
Yes, I knew I recognised it from somewhere. Great that they have a kind of consistency to this. It's why he's such an enduring character (and why The Time with...) didn't work for me.

oy vey

Quote from: kalowski on August 13, 2019, 06:18:17 PM
(and why The Time with...) didn't work for me.

Mmmmhmmm yes. I do like TT, but it's all over the place.

Conversely, the earlier laughter free stuff proved Alan's depth and versatility pre-Gibbons.

It also had the studio audience's laughter over it.

I don't want to get bogged down in the whole laughter nest of vipers, etc. Good catch on the panatella.

kalowski

In Nomad (I was listening to the audiobook on the way home) he talks about Michael Portillo:

I thought he was smiling, but it was just the way his face hangs. Footnote: Geoffrey Hayes from Rainbow had the same thing.

kalowski

And there's a bit about him holding a torch in his mouth, detective style. "It would have worked better if it was a pencil light, but it was a large Mag-lite. My mouth was stretched like when the cleaner's not been and all you have is a dessert spoon."

Bazooka

Quote from: kalowski on August 12, 2019, 03:46:52 PM
Very nice. I have never seen the full clip before. That is top quality Partridge.

What a treat it must be to have only just seen this.

That bit still annoys me as the camera is clearly not the size of a panatella. It's more like a proper full-sized cigar like the ones Jimmy Savile smoked, the only full-sized thing he ever sucked for pleasure.

Gulftastic

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on September 20, 2019, 09:48:23 AM
That bit still annoys me as the camera is clearly not the size of a panatella. It's more like a proper full-sized cigar like the ones Jimmy Savile smoked, the only full-sized thing he ever sucked for pleasure.

Don't under sell how much of a monster Savile was. Like a track suit clad Bishop of Bath and Wells, animal, vegetable or mineral, he'd do anything to anything. Calling him just a peado is actually doing his memory a favour

Bad Ambassador

Rewatched IAP2 this week, and it's most quite poor, but the jingle for Alan's Love Asylum provoked some unexpected hilarity.

"Alan's... Love... Asylum!" *anguished wail*

oy vey

Chris Tarrant. I saw him the other day actually. I said, "Chris, who wants to be a millionaire. Not you, you already are one you big cock."

kalowski

"Richard doesn't have a gay bone in his body. He's as manly as they come. He's now opened a nightclub in Brighton called 'Beef'".

markburgle

"You remember those ads? Coke vs Pepsi, can you tell the difference? I was thinking about that today and I just thought... who gives a shit?? What a colossal waste of everybody's time."

I love the "everybody's" there - he thinks he might be facing death and it actually makes him think about other people a little bit.

Nuts 'n Gum

This clip from one of his more recent live shows:

https://youtu.be/8w6ebKnI7l0?t=194

When he's replying to the spam e-mail, and you see him deleting 'Yours', and replacing it with 'Warm regards', and him saying it out loud, for some reason always gets me.

That and as someone has pointed out, 'Are you wearing silk?' 'No, I'm naked'.

kalowski

Quote from: Nuts 'n Gum on October 07, 2019, 06:35:48 PM
This clip from one of his more recent live shows:

https://youtu.be/8w6ebKnI7l0?t=194

When he's replying to the spam e-mail, and you see him deleting 'Yours', and replacing it with 'Warm regards', and him saying it out loud, for some reason always gets me.

"genital cock" makes me laugh.

kalowski

Quote from: Spudgun on June 20, 2018, 09:34:48 PM
I've had to point it out to more than one person. I love the fact that it comes so soon after Joe being so protective of anyone even touching the monkey, and the next thing you know...
Joe Beezley is possibly the greatest 3 minutes of AP ever. Just perfect.

Ferris

Quote from: kalowski on October 20, 2019, 06:39:48 PM
Joe Beezley is possibly the greatest 3 minutes of AP ever. Just perfect.

I'm sure it's been analyzed to death, but there's a tiny bit about halfway through when he says "...oh god" with a look of absolute terror and it makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Also Alan's withering "your act is really poor".

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 20, 2019, 07:13:59 PM
I'm sure it's been analyzed to death, but there's a tiny bit about halfway through when he says "...oh god" with a look of absolute terror and it makes me laugh just thinking about it. 

Yeah, it's his delivery of those two words as well which really makes the moment special. 

I used to get a certain amount of amusement from saying "oooh, Cheeky Monkey" whenever someone I knew stumbled over the punchline of a joke.  Admittedly, they hadn't the first fucking clue what I was going on about but still; lovely stuff.

Norton Canes

Quote from: kalowski on October 20, 2019, 06:39:48 PM
Joe Beezley is possibly the greatest 3 minutes of AP ever. Just perfect

Just watched it again for the first time in a few years and realized Alan first saw Beezley 15 years ago - so the guy may not even have not performed the act for god knows how long

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Twed on April 05, 2019, 09:41:06 AM
The "are you getting out here or going all the way with me?" lift scene is incredible.

Alan's uncomfortable face. Susan's confidence, knowing the power she has over Alan. And then afterwards, Alan trying to save face with himself by saying "this country". He was on the back foot, but making a comment about the downfall of society puts him back in control, in his mind.

I love the dominance of that moment. Her unyielding smile, her clasped-hands straight-shoulder posture. It's like Mr. X trumping through the Raccoon Police Department. Pure huge dick energy.