Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

was nodding off while camping last night and "the ten pence turkey" came to mind and i couldn't stop giggling

jake thunder

Only just realised that the guy who's revamping Current Affairs in IAP S1 appears in the first and last episode of the series and Partridge shrugs when he's introduced to him both times.

magval

Aye and he's introduced as "going to be revamping" and "has just finished revamping", respectively.

jake thunder

His name is a reference too - Peter Matthews

Ferris

Quote from: jake thunder on July 13, 2020, 11:27:24 PM
Only just realised that the guy who's revamping Current Affairs in IAP S1 appears in the first and last episode of the series and Partridge shrugs when he's introduced to him both times.

Never noticed this!

Enzo

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but Richard Keys has gone full Partridge with his think piece about the replacement of Clive Tyldesley as ITV's lead commentator.

"Did he have a terminal illness? No. It was worse than that - he was being replaced as ITV's lead commentator... and replaced by a dammed good operator."

"Try leaving a company for good - watching them drip feed nonsense into the media and then calling your prospective employee to a meeting to threaten them with financial penalties if they continued with their plans to employ you. Oh, there's so much more, but that's for another time."

"Clive is a nice guy. He's deeply thoughtful and cares. He cares about so many people and he's always the first to show if you've got a problem - although I haven't heard anything from him these past five years."

https://richardajkeys.com/index.php/blog/241-come-on-clive

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Enzo on July 14, 2020, 01:09:26 AM
Thought it was Peter Linehan

Quote from: jake thunder on July 14, 2020, 09:19:03 PM
Don't think so.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7pdqpf  - at 19m39s  (I know you were taking the piss but you deserve it for spelling Mathews wrong.)

Shaky

Quote from: There Be Rumblings on July 14, 2020, 11:46:12 PM
"Clive is a nice guy. He's deeply thoughtful and cares. He cares about so many people and he's always the first to show if you've got a problem - although I haven't heard anything from him these past five years."

That's amazing.

Quote from: There Be Rumblings on July 14, 2020, 11:46:12 PM
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but Richard Keys has gone full Partridge with his think piece about the replacement of Clive Tyldesley as ITV's lead commentator.

"Did he have a terminal illness? No. It was worse than that - he was being replaced as ITV's lead commentator... and replaced by a dammed good operator."

"Try leaving a company for good - watching them drip feed nonsense into the media and then calling your prospective employee to a meeting to threaten them with financial penalties if they continued with their plans to employ you. Oh, there's so much more, but that's for another time."

Fantastic stuff.  There's a great bit about visual and aural irritant Richard Keys in the Nomad book concerning Alan being part of Keys' group email list:

His weekly emails purported to be a way of keeping friends and family abreast of his new life in Qatar but were actually thinly veiled bragathons in which he'd attach pictures of himself in sunglasses or making phone calls on a lilo or eating steak with Andy Gray.

Richard didn't know what BCC was, leaving each recipient publicly exposed as a friend of his even if, like me, they'd only met him once.

Fortunately I replied that it would be fascinating to see how Richard got on in the Islamist state of Qatar: one is a medieval relic which despises women, persecutes workers and is viewed with suspicion by the West ... and the other is the Islamist state of Qatar.

It seems I was removed from the list after that.

Pancake

What about an egg in a sock, but it's from the nineties?

Pancake

If you put fennel in that, we're gonna fall out

popcorn

Rewatching This Time. I liked it the first time but I'm enjoying it more this time... This Time.

"Lynne wears a coat that was advertised under the words strong coat for sale"

popcorn

ALAN: Feel the fabric, Simon, then talk about it.

SIMON: Really?

ALAN: Yeah. Yeah. Feel the fabric.

Simon feels the skirt fabric.

SIMON: Yeah. Decent.

paddy72

Quote from: Pancake on July 16, 2020, 01:47:15 PM
If you put fennel in that, we're gonna fall out

That might be my favourite line from MMM.

Twonty Gostelow

Earworm today, ♫ It's me it's me, on Alan on Alan, on I on I, on Partridge on Partridge. Made me grin while I was waiting to cross the road, a car passenger quickly averting her eyes.

paruses

Did you include the hasty swallow midway through?

Twonty Gostelow

I love that he couldn't be arsed to record it again.

Ferris

From I, Partridge any time a decision is made but it's a no I hear Alan impersonating Tony Hayers

"Ooooohhh... it's a nooooo"

Mobius

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 22, 2020, 10:59:45 PM
Earworm today, ♫ It's me it's me, on Alan on Alan, on I on I, on Partridge on Partridge. Made me grin while I was waiting to cross the road, a car passenger quickly averting her eyes.

I have the "I on Partridge" theme as my ringtone.

"Today's question: How often should i wash my towels? Sally from Norwich writes, 'I put my towels on a boil wash once every 10 days with a flap of Bounce.' I do exactly the same thing and if i'm going to chuck in a bit of underwear, I might add a capful of Dettol, maybe two, depending on circumstances."

robhug

Ursula, its an offence to stop on the hard shoulder.

Don't know why, but I love the bit on MMM where he's talking along to "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" by Chicago after his break-up with Angela:
And this is the KEY point

Ferris

Quote from: Dave The Triffids on July 23, 2020, 01:03:32 PM
Don't know why, but I love the bit on MMM where he's talking along to "Hard To Say I'm Sorry" by Chicago after his break-up with Angela:
And this is the KEY point

Is this the section where he nominates himself as "berk of the week" and has to cut Simon off when he starts going on about a local councillor?

gmoney

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 23, 2020, 10:09:59 AM
I have the "I on Partridge" theme as my ringtone.

"Today's question: How often should i wash my towels? Sally from Norwich writes, 'I put my towels on a boil wash once every 10 days with a flap of Bounce.' I do exactly the same thing and if i'm going to chuck in a bit of underwear, I might add a capful of Dettol, maybe two, depending on circumstances."

There was another one in this call in that I think about a lot.

"She writes 'I sit in a chair in front of the telly with a box of wine and watch Cash In The Attic until they're bone dry, by which time I'm usually sound asleep'" to which Alan adds "It sounds like bliss"

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on July 23, 2020, 01:17:27 PM
Is this the section where he nominates himself as "berk of the week" and has to cut Simon off when he starts going on about a local councillor?

Yeah, that's the one.

Ferris

kalowski

Quote from: robhug on July 23, 2020, 11:46:00 AM
Ursula, its an offence to stop on the hard shoulder.
I love this whole bit from the Tony Le Mesmer section.