Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 01:34:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoOffenceLynn

No offense Lynn
"But technically your life is not worth insuring"

Ferris

You have to go some to change the spelling between a comedy line you are typing out, and the one in your username.

Mobius

"Lovely Stuff" Not my words, the words of Sufjan Stevens

Twonty Gostelow

From memory, 'Open Books'.

"I must say, Alan, I like your choice of clothes. Makes you look like a country gent."
"No it doesn't. It makes me look like a writer."

popcorn

paruses

Also Open Books - "oh paper. Paper, paper, paper"

Perfectly sums up the sort of person who doesn't really read books but will denounce a Kindle.

Pancake

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on July 29, 2020, 01:49:47 PM
From memory, 'Open Books'.

"I must say, Alan, I like your choice of clothes. Makes you look like a country gent."
"No it doesn't. It makes me look like a writer."

Oxblood and mustard, sounds like a soup

QDRPHNC

"... and the Partridge Playhouse troupe, before it soured."

Kryton

I was reading I, Partridge last night and absolutely howled at the bit when Partridge describes sending Tony Hayer's widow a gift.

A travel clock wrapped in black tissue paper along with a note saying 'You're sad' with the O having a smiley face in it. Only after he'd sent it did he forget that he hadn't signed it.

Cuellar

I really like the way he says "The card was made of black card"

græskar

The Mary call from Anglian Lives (1min mark) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exrD4GkaKTI

"Hello, Alan. I forgive you."

Kryton

Quote from: græskar on August 03, 2020, 07:51:57 PM
The Mary call from Anglian Lives (1min mark) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exrD4GkaKTI

"Hello, Alan. I forgive you."

God that's probably one of my absolute favourites. It's actually a really creepy scene, how Mary somehow manages to break all the equipment and can't be cut off.

'Oh Alan, where's your sense of humour?'

'I don't have one'

--

And I love how desperate he is to get away from Mary that he's willing to risk playing a random CD called 'Sexy Bitch - Butter bath'.

Noodle Lizard

I know Alpha Papa's not the most popular of his works, but "Who's to say you can't get shit on a fist?" turns up in my day-to-day-vocabulary more often than I'd like at present.

frajer

Love Alpha Papa. The quick cut back to Coogan as Jason Argonaut saying a camp "yesss" makes me piss myself every single time.

paruses

Quote from: Kryton on August 03, 2020, 08:16:34 PM
God that's probably one of my absolute favourites. It's actually a really creepy scene, how Mary somehow manages to break all the equipment and can't be cut off.

'Oh Alan, where's your sense of humour?'

'I don't have one'

--

And I love how desperate he is to get away from Mary that he's willing to risk playing a random CD called 'Sexy Bitch - Butter bath'.

Love the Mary call too. And way creepier than some horror writing manages. Is there more than one?

Always laugh at the bit where they make you think Alan's genuinely worried about her safety but he just wants to make sure she's gone.

Kryton

Quote from: paruses on August 04, 2020, 10:17:05 PM
Love the Mary call too. And way creepier than some horror writing manages. Is there more than one?

Yeah I think she's appeared twice but I can't remember exactly when the other time was.

And yeah it's really unnerving like you say - that really weird isolated feeling, no producers around, the technology not working. Absolutely brilliant.

Mobius

I think she's also the caller who talks about "Who is the best Lord - Rings / Dance / Flies"

And the 'look in the back of a spoon' one

Cold Meat Platter

paruses

Quote from: Kryton on August 04, 2020, 11:35:00 PM
Yeah I think she's appeared twice but I can't remember exactly when the other time was.

And yeah it's really unnerving like you say - that really weird isolated feeling, no producers around, the technology not working. Absolutely brilliant.

I was letting the dog out when I read your post and so was thinking about it just standing by myself in the dark by the back door. Gave me quite a chill thinking of where she is calling from and her being alone in her own house. *Shudder*.

Am I right that she calls in to Up With The Partridge in the series proper? Is that the one about what will humans look like in the future / look in the back of a spoon?

My friend and I often say the quiet, then shouted "No" from "<dry mouthed> are you hairy, Mary?"

paruses

Quote from: Mobius on August 04, 2020, 11:51:34 PM
I think she's also the caller who talks about "Who is the best Lord - Rings / Dance / Flies"

And the 'look in the back of a spoon' one

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on August 04, 2020, 11:57:13 PM
"Are you hairy, Mary?"

I need to type faster.

Ferris

Does she not send Alan her doll "from when she was a baby"?

markburgle

Quote from: frajer on August 04, 2020, 07:46:30 AM
Love Alpha Papa. The quick cut back to Coogan as Jason Argonaut saying a camp "yesss" makes me piss myself every single time.

I'm a fan of the whole "Can you skip to the part where they stop saying "Banged Up Abroad"?" bit

frajer

Quote from: markburgle on August 05, 2020, 08:33:31 AM
I'm a fan of the whole "Can you skip to the part where they stop saying "Banged Up Abroad"?" bit

Ah yeah that's brilliant too. Didn't realise it was Jessica Knappett until I'd seen her series of Taskmaster. "Sidekick Simon: I once banged up a broad..."

paruses

I think an overlooked gem from Alpha Papa is where he thinks the policeman is a pile of clothes. Really made me laugh in the cinema and it makes weird sense in the scene.

Alpha Papa is full of brilliant stuff, it just hangs together really badly.

"That was a majestic voice. You can keep Jesus. As far as I'm concerned, Neil Diamond will always be King of the Jews."

Also, just twigged that the "Even I know someone called Cromwell... His name's Cresswell actually... I need to return his call." from MMM series 1 is probably referring to his new boss in Alpha Papa.

H-O-W-L

The entire scene of the woman in the car he pulls over is gut-busting honestly. I think that's the closest the whole of AP gets to like, TDT ludicrousness. And it works.

paruses

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 05, 2020, 09:12:01 PM
The entire scene of the woman in the car he pulls over is gut-busting honestly. I think that's the closest the whole of AP gets to like, TDT ludicrousness. And it works.

Ditto the drunk Welsh one-night stand turning up at the premiere.

The dogs in particular - "it's their bed too!"

Kryton

Quote from: H-O-W-L on August 05, 2020, 09:12:01 PM

He's IRISH!

Oh okay then, get in.

--

Yeah I like Alpha Papa (or Hectic Doom day as I wish they'd gone with!) - Lots of good gags and jokes. My favourite probably involves Pat going for a shower and not one of the hostages even considering escaping. Or Alan going home for a day, only to reappear at the seige for no real reason.