Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:37:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry Badger

Quote from: notjosh on September 11, 2020, 03:42:38 PM
Think I've been overdosing on Partridge recently as he's started popping up in my dreams. Last night he was boasting about how all his furniture was bought from a local pub that closed down, so you couldn't get it on the high street. He was particularly proud of his massive mirror.

This has genuinely made me laugh.

Rizla

Watching the "Comfortably Numb" bit from The Wall, I was reminded of "REDACTED's addiction to fascism" from open books. Chuckled.

robhug

"my favorite tune is the american national anthem, which i find myself humming when Im in the kitchen - much to the annoyance of my wife!

She's Somalian and her family were killed in a US-led drone strike"

kalowski

Quote from: robhug on September 14, 2020, 12:51:52 PM
"my favorite tune is the american national anthem, which i find myself humming when Im in the kitchen - much to the annoyance of my wife!

She's Somalian and her family were killed in a US-led drone strike"
Not oft-forgotten but I must admit was brilliantly funny.

robhug

"From the rich man in his rover to the poor man in his Vauxhall corsa"

"if Raquel Welch doesn't want to stay in a trusthouse forte we can put her in a youth hostel - she normally likes that"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

GOLLY, AN ALIEN JUDGE

Just terrific all-round. The most inane thing possible for a grown woman to draw, a totally shit drawing, the out of date use of 'Golly' and the camera work as Alan moves to politely extract himself from the conversation.

wooders1978

"It doesn't matter, but was it one of the good ones?" - after his cleanse broke something

batwings

"[listing notable things about Brighton]...the great, great long history of homosexuality. Many people think it only started in the eighties, but it was actually started by Oscar Wilde, back in the nineteenth century, who'd come down here with one his chaps and stay at the metropolitan hotel for the weekend."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpfjncLamz4

BeardFaceMan

Love the way he spits out "The FBI knew about CDs for aaages!"

Joe Oakes

Odd request, but can anyone recall Alan referencing 'foxes'?

I vaguely remember him talking about foxes messing with his spice garden, and a few mentions of fox hunting, but I'm struggling to pinpoint the specific sources.

Thank you for your service.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Joe Oakes on September 30, 2020, 06:19:01 PM

I vaguely remember him talking about foxes messing with his spice garden, and a few mentions of fox hunting, but I'm struggling to pinpoint the specific sources.

Fox hunting - series 2 of MMM, episode 1 I think.

And the foxes fucking in the herb garden was in I, Partridge.

Cold Meat Platter

'Never have I been so irked by vulpine intimacy.'

Noodle Lizard

The delivery in the audiobook was great. Something along the lines of "... and, not to be crude, they were FUCKING in my herb garden."

BeardFaceMan

There's a bit in the first series of MMM where Alan turns to Sidekick Simon and asks him if he's seen Duck Soup, because if not, he'd love it. I've never seen that film, what's the gag there?

Ptolemy Ptarmigan

It's the most wall-to-wall zany of the Marx Brothers' films, with no let up at all. I think we're meant to see it as Alan insulting Simon's relentless wackiness, while showing an ignorance of comedy and a sense of humour failure in Alan, because it's actually brilliant. (I would guess Coogan thinks it's great as well.)

Unless he actually meant the Laurel & Hardy short.

BeardFaceMan

That makes sense. He does actually say "Have you seen Duck Soup, The Marx Brothers?", it was after Simon was telling Alan about the wacky things he got up to on that other DJs show he appeared on.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Joe Oakes on September 30, 2020, 06:19:01 PM

Talks about fox-hunting in From The Oast House too.

wooders1978

He seems to have a thing for the countryside alliance

Gulftastic

Quote from: wooders1978 on October 04, 2020, 05:36:54 PM

'....there's a thousand Country Alliance boys ready to go.'

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: wooders1978 on October 04, 2020, 05:36:54 PM

He talks about it on the commentary for the 1st series of IAP, something along the lines of "love the countryside, hate the people".

magval

I watched the Dante Fires episode last night and for the first time, I saw the vast difference people talk about with series two of IAP when I thought about it like this - I can imagine Alan as he is now, perhaps on MMM or From The Oasthouse, talking about things that happened when he lived in the Travel Tavern, and I'd believe it, but if he talked about anything that happened during his time in the caravan, it's like it didn't happen.

The Alan who lives in the caravan and the Alan who 'exists' now feel like they're the same age, and exist in parallel universes.

Also, for nearly the whole episode, he's making that FACE! The sort of lopsided smile.

I still love it, I always will, but I think I've turned a corner in how I see IAP2.

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, I started watching IAP2 again recently. I know it off by heart, but haven't actually sat down and watched it for the best part of a decade.

Your comment about them "existing in parallel universes" is very well-put. He looks far older than he has done in any of the Gibbons stuff, but then again he was graying even in the first series of IAP. It's still very funny, but overall a good thing that they sort of "rebooted" him with Mid-Morning Matters. That being said, I remember being skeptical of MMM when it first aired (the format and Fosters sponsorship made it hard to shake the suspicion of a cheap cash-grab). Very glad I was proven wrong.

I think I, Partridge is the best thing they've done, and one of the best "things" full stop.

Menu

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 04, 2020, 01:41:45 PM
There's a bit in the first series of MMM where Alan turns to Sidekick Simon and asks him if he's seen Duck Soup, because if not, he'd love it. I've never seen that film, what's the gag there?

That's baffled me before. It's not the sort of thing Alan would like is it. I guess it's just that he's being patronising and condescending to SS, but it's not the right reference for Alan. He should have said The Grumbleweeds or something.

Menu

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on October 04, 2020, 06:05:16 PM
He talks about it on the commentary for the 1st series of IAP, something along the lines of "love the countryside, hate the people".

That's hilarious. Although it's probably why Brexit happened.

Menu

Quote from: magval on October 04, 2020, 08:07:51 PM

The Alan who lives in the caravan and the Alan who 'exists' now feel like they're the same age, and exist in parallel universes.

That's a good comment. I'm surprised how little is made on here about Alan's age being subtly altered. Nerdy fans are usually all over that sort of thing. If he was 43 in 1997, he should be 66 now. But he's playing it more like mid 50s. Actually Coogan is now just doing his own age isn't he. Which is clever in the long term. I'm surprised more people aren't fuming about it though. I mean, it IS fraud.

Actually come to think of it, Alpha Papa Alan should have been 57 but he was played more like mid 40s.

Whereas Lynn has pretty much stayed the same age. About 92.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Part of the humour of IAP1 was derived from seeing a young man playing an middle aged man. The fact Alan is still so boyish, while also having greying hair and an old taste in clothes really emphasizes the pathos. Every interaction, especially those lift scenes take on another layer of humour, whether that's sexual frustration, or paralysis in his career and life in general. It is not incidental either, they drum his decaying failing body into the audience at every available opportunity, while also showing that he is scared, lost and alone, like a child. This is the source of the humour.

This is something they can't play on with the more confident post-breakdown Alan in IAP2. They try and make the static home a basis for a further slide, but considering they're building Alan's big house it doesn't really work. It was important pick a point where he was still on the slide but having to pretend to assuage his own ego that things are fine. Some of the groundwork is done but ultimately he isn't put in situations that are based on his vulnerabilities in IAP2. It's just Clarkson The Sitcom (still pretty funny).

I don't really understand why they decided to disembark from the exquisite psychological low-key torture of the first series. In the interviews they say that writing Series 1 felt more natural, as though they were able to pluck ideas almost at will, but that's because the setting, the situation was so fertile.

QDRPHNC

I saw an interview with Coogan on YouTube where he said that the great thing about The Day Today was that there was no audience expectations, so that they could do whatever they wanted. I wondering if he was thinking of how IAP2 turned out when he said that - the recent oral history article seemed to confirm it somewhat, although it sounds like there were plenty of other issues too.

petril

they way he is compelled to never say "a partridge" without adding "A. Partridge. Alanpartridge." every time. Just saw it on one of the Oast House ads. a compulsion to condescend