Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,303
  • Total Topics: 106,765
  • Online Today: 1,077
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 02:57:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menu

Quote from: cacciaguida on October 15, 2020, 11:48:54 AM
More deep dives into the Partridge back catalogue from the crazy world of twitter brings up this from @mikejhemsley

Some morning research has revealed that Norwich midfielder Todd Cantwell was 4 1/2 when The Talented Mr Alan aired, featuring a "chap of about six" named Todd ("Seriously?") wearing jeans at the Norfolk country club Choristers. I'm not saying it's definitely him, but...

That's brilliant. Although it does make me feel like I'm in my 70s.

MoonDust

Glad to see this thread is still going. I've not seen any Alan Partridge in too long a time. I'm Alan Partridge isn't available on Netflix in Germany, and my old DVDs are collecting somewhere at my parent's.

kalowski

Norton Canes

Just noticed, on about the 15th viewing of Bravealan, that before he uses his roll-on he picks a hair from that top

magval

I just noticed he has two framed pictures to the left of the door in the caravan. The kids or the parents?

markburgle

Quote from: magval on November 08, 2020, 01:06:31 PM
I just noticed he has two framed pictures to the left of the door in the caravan. The kids or the parents?

The stock pictures that came with the frames?

Menu

Quote from: kalowski on October 27, 2020, 08:15:38 PM
"Lynn! The fat envelope! Not you, Lynn."

That line is in my head the whole time. It's brilliantly meaningless.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 08, 2020, 12:44:47 PM
Just noticed, on about the 15th viewing of Bravealan, that before he uses his roll-on he picks a hair from that top

I can't remember what it was from actually but he said he doesn't like roll-on anti-perspirant as it "traps the hairs" and prefers a stick.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Menu on November 09, 2020, 12:23:18 AM
That line is in my head the whole time. It's brilliantly meaningless.

It's not meaningless, she's holding a fat envelope full of receipts and such.

Mobius

Quote from: Yussef Dent on November 09, 2020, 12:46:58 AM
I can't remember what it was from actually but he said he doesn't like roll-on anti-perspirant as it "traps the hairs" and prefers a stick.

He tells Dan he uses Lynx Voodoo and also tells his former headmaster he uses Lynx Africa ("gonna cane me?")

There really should be a Partridge wiki. If any comedy deserves that level of deep dive it's AP

Menu

Quote from: checkoutgirl on November 09, 2020, 12:50:49 AM
It's not meaningless, she's holding a fat envelope full of receipts and such.

Yes but she's not an envelope. Envelope isn't an insult. Why would he think it was?

Ferris

Alan being asked if he'd like to buy an air rifle

"...can I?"

Captain Z

I can never find it, I think it's in Nomad, but I often get the phrase "they basically just razzed it round the sun a few times" pop into my head. He's describing how a space probe was launched but I can never remember the context.

QDRPHNC

If I remember correctly, he's describing how he helps get the audience's energy high enough to propel them through the atmosphere-free void of Dave Clifton's slot.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 09, 2020, 03:07:26 AM
If I remember correctly, he's describing how he helps get the audience's energy high enough to propel them through the atmosphere-free void of Dave Clifton's slot.

Yeah it's about getting the momentum up to slingshot the audience through to the bitter end ("and it is bitter").

robhug

Quote from: Yussef Dent on November 09, 2020, 12:46:58 AM

Pretty sure that was the radio show however not remembering it exactly is somewhat frustrating me

kalowski

I assume I've already posted this

"A song from Michael Jackson, in happier times, before his mauling from Martin Bashir that led ultimately and directly to his death. And to Diana's."

checkoutgirl

Quote from: robhug on November 09, 2020, 01:21:04 PM
Pretty sure that was the radio show however not remembering it exactly is somewhat frustrating me

I'm sure it's in the France episode of TV version of KMKYWAP (episode 4) when he's chatting to the French chef about his cologne. Actually certain as I just checked.

Ferris

Alan looking at his house and telling the agent "get rid of it" describing the lacquer egg holder.

QDRPHNC

That was the rinser. He wanted to know if the egg holder was included (not a deal-breaker though).

QDRPHNC

Also, "YES IT'S AN EXTENDER" may be the best edit in all of Patridgedom.

Menu

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 02, 2020, 03:14:15 PM
Alan looking at his house and telling the agent "get rid of it" describing the lacquer egg holder.

Yes that's perfect Partridge. A pointless application of his minimal power.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 02, 2020, 03:36:46 PM
That was the rinser. He wanted to know if the egg holder was included (not a deal-breaker though).

Bollocks I did wonder that as I posted it.

If I recall it's "not a deal-breaker, but I would like to know" so it's a similar application of his power over some poor lackey that makes me laugh, which is why I think of them interchangeably. I might just be getting old, of course.

I get the feeling all of those house bits are improv (for boring set-dressing reasons) so there's presumably B-reel of Alan walking around a house demanding minor items are explained/fixed/removed.

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 02, 2020, 03:37:21 PM

I'm reviewing tables with the intent to buy one soon, and I can't look at any extenders without chuckling. Pathetic.

Menu

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 02, 2020, 04:14:27 PM

I get the feeling all of those house bits are improv (for boring set-dressing reasons) so there's presumably B-reel of Alan walking around a house demanding minor items are explained/fixed/removed.

Yes that's an exciting prospect for future releases. And it also shows how completely Coogan inhabits the character. It's a remarkable performance.

magval

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 02, 2020, 03:37:21 PM

The best Partridge edit is the rushed "couple of SPUNKY LADIES" in On The Hour, for me. It's so funny it sparked a load of thoughts about edits that are so good they qualify as like joke multipliers, but I never started a thread :-(

magval

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 02, 2020, 04:14:27 PM
Bollocks I did wonder that as I posted it.

If I recall it's "not a deal-breaker, but I would like to know" so it's a similar application of his power over some poor lackey that makes me laugh, which is why I think of them interchangeably. I might just be getting old, of course.

I'm reviewing tables with the intent to buy one soon, and I can't look at any extenders without chuckling. Pathetic.

Almost certain that the deleted scenes has some of this stuff, and you're right, I think it's improv too. Is that guy even an actor. He's too realistic, he's brilliant. The only thing that makes me think he's an actor is that he doesn't look at the "camera".

BeardFaceMan

Yeah I'm sure I've seen the guy in other comedy stuff, and I'm pretty sure they mention that he's currently in an advert on the DVD commentary.

Menu

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on December 02, 2020, 04:40:26 PM
Yeah I'm sure I've seen the guy in other comedy stuff, and I'm pretty sure they mention that he's currently in an advert on the DVD commentary.

And someone in a sitcom thread said he was in something or other. He's very naturalistic. His bafflement is very funny. BRING HIM BACK!

Jerzy Bondov

He's the actor Philip Fox, who was the original Baldrick in the unaired Blackadder pilot.