Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:06:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markburgle

This isn't oft-forgotten so much as never bloody seen it before, which is rare at this advanced stage in my Partridge fandom. Apparently a series of Teen Cancer Trust ads, with the lad looking like a young Saxondale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7W2NsF_Ssc

Menu

That's brilliant, thank you. He's brought his spiv moustache back! And a return of the Dr Hook joke!

I'd shout "it's an extender!" every time my partner extended a table during our tedious search for a suitable dining table earlier in the year. It was the only thing I had to keep me sane as we traipsed from shop to shop, week after week.

robhug

Quote from: checkoutgirl on December 02, 2020, 02:53:23 PM
I'm sure it's in the France episode of TV version of KMKYWAP (episode 4) when he's chatting to the French chef about his cologne. Actually certain as I just checked.

YES!

I was also erroneously going to say that he then turns to Sue Lewis and says 'thats like one of your stories', but the frenchie chef wasnt on the Sue Lewis one and I cant recall what the boring story actually was all about.

I used to know all this stuff without having to try and now its all gone.

Jerzy Bondov

"It's an extender" and "nice action" have seen me through many shopping trips

robhug

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on December 02, 2020, 05:03:58 PM
I'd shout "it's an extender!" every time my partner extended a table during our tedious search for a suitable dining table earlier in the year. It was the only thing I had to keep me sane as we traipsed from shop to shop, week after week.

We've got an extender, and everyone knows we've got an extender 'cos anything vaguely table related I'll mention it.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Menu on December 02, 2020, 04:42:09 PM
And someone in a sitcom thread said he was in something or other. He's very naturalistic. His bafflement is very funny. BRING HIM BACK!

Yeah, he's great. His slightly awkward, obsequious nervous energy feels so real.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: robhug on December 02, 2020, 05:05:15 PM
I cant recall what the boring story actually was all about

Flight luggage that was briefly lost?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 02, 2020, 05:21:55 PM
Yeah, he's great. His slightly awkward, obsequious nervous energy feels so real.

His name is Phillip Fox and he played Baldrick in the Blackadder pilot. Had to look it up as it was bothering me where I'd seen him before and he's been in absolutely loads of stuff over the years.

kalowski

Quote from: markburgle on December 02, 2020, 04:58:45 PM
This isn't oft-forgotten so much as never bloody seen it before, which is rare at this advanced stage in my Partridge fandom. Apparently a series of Teen Cancer Trust ads, with the lad looking like a young Saxondale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7W2NsF_Ssc
God, new Alan to me. Lovely.
"Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way to Blockbuster!"
"Yeah, it's on Church Lane between Boots and the Alliance and Leicester."

kalowski

Although with my son hitting his teenage years in 2023 it's also made me bloody miserable.

Off to listen to some David Borchester.

stonkers

A bit off topic but this is probably the best place to post the real Max Beasley and Cheeky Monkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbEIR5NA310

paruses

Quote from: kalowski on December 02, 2020, 08:12:11 PM
God, new Alan to me. Lovely.
"Does anyone know the way? There's got to be a way to Blockbuster!"
"Yeah, it's on Church Lane between Boots and the Alliance and Leicester."

YouTube threw these up a few days ago and I was all excited at posting unknown Partridge but then I forgot. Has anyone seen these before? They're from 2007 (13 years ago!) but I'm amazed I wasn't even aware of them.

They seem to be the missing link between Iannuci Partridge and Gibbons Partridge.

Menu

Quote from: paruses on December 03, 2020, 12:57:44 AM
YouTube threw these up a few days ago and I was all excited at posting unknown Partridge but then I forgot. Has anyone seen these before? They're from 2007 (13 years ago!) but I'm amazed I wasn't even aware of them.

They seem to be the missing link between Iannuci Partridge and Gibbons Partridge.

No they passed me by until they were posted here today by Mark Burgle. A great find!

Menu

Quote from: stonkers on December 02, 2020, 08:25:39 PM
A bit off topic but this is probably the best place to post the real Max Beasley and Cheeky Monkey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbEIR5NA310

That's genuinely better than that Little and Large NKOTB sketch in the other thread. I'm only halfway through but I think it's quite good!

Erm......?

Menu

I mean, it's a bit, I dunno, stilted at times, and not every joke lands. But it's ok!

paruses

Quote from: Menu on December 03, 2020, 01:07:13 AM
I mean, it's a bit, I dunno, stilted at times, and not every joke lands. But it's ok!

It's fine for what it is. It was probably done as a bit of street performance /  busking - it has that feel and Ted said they had been a big hit at the Edinburgh Festival so that's probably where a researcher saw the act (before they were fired).

The puppet is alarmingly like Cheeky Monkey though in its appearance.

Menu

Quote from: paruses on December 03, 2020, 01:15:21 AM
It's fine for what it is. It was probably done as a bit of street performance /  busking - it has that feel and Ted said they had been a big hit at the Edinburgh Festival so that's probably where a researcher saw the act (before they were fired).

The puppet is alarmingly like Cheeky Monkey though in its appearance.

Yes I did wince at that. So is this the mythical performance that Cheeky Monkey was based on, or is there still the real deal out there somewhere?

paruses

It's more like a white Flat Eric on reflection.

I got the impression that Isosceles toned down the ribbing of the audience and the Cue Cards for this. It's amazing what you can get obsessed with at half one in the morning. Isosceles is  really shit name for a start especially if it's to hang that joke off.

Is there a supposed real act that Max and Cheeky is based on? Or is it just John Thompson being really good, as usual, at realising a fairly basic idea?

Menu

Quote from: paruses on December 03, 2020, 01:29:20 AM

Is there a supposed real act that Max and Cheeky is based on? Or is it just John Thompson being really good, as usual, at realising a fairly basic idea?

I've heard talk to that effect - probably on here tbf. A shambolic ventriloquist act on 321 which was the inspiration for the Partridge sketch. Maybe it was indeed this performance that was being referred to, and if so it's disappointing.

To be honest I was always a bit sceptical about it. In the sense that if there had been such a performance it would probably be famous enough anyway for a nerd like me to know about it.

stonkers

Quote from: Menu on December 03, 2020, 01:41:27 AM
I've heard talk to that effect - probably on here tbf. A shambolic ventriloquist act on 321 which was the inspiration for the Partridge sketch. Maybe it was indeed this performance that was being referred to, and if so it's disappointing.

To be honest I was always a bit sceptical about it. In the sense that if there had been such a performance it would probably be famous enough anyway for a nerd like me to know about it.

The Isoceles sketch is more like an earlier iteration of the same sort of "shit ventriloquist" idea. I can see Cheeky Monkey being inspired by it, whic is obviously different than being inspired than an actual bad act.

Ornlu

Someone needs to make one of those iceberg charts for Partridge ephemera.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IcebergCharts/

amateur

"It's his bed, let him lie in it. Let him lie in it."

frajer

"I'm scareder than a bee than you! I mean I'm more scared than a bee than you! Urhh."

Probably too recent to be oft-forgotten but when he's being pursued in Oasthouse, this gets me creasing. It's the childlike "scareder", the ragged exhaustion Coogan puts into Alan's voice plus the little whimpered groan at the end.

Cuellar

Seeing the news about the Birds of a Feather christmas special brought Alan's "...a programme I quite rightly despised" to mind,.

QDRPHNC

Menu

Quote from: Gulftastic on December 08, 2020, 04:28:54 PM
'Completely billy bollocks'

A Peter Baynham-ism according to the commentary. Dunno why I remember that.

He also came up with the exact name for that curtain around the bottom of the bed in the Jill sex scene. Can't remember the dialogue now, you know what I mean.

Harry Badger

Quote from: Menu on December 08, 2020, 11:37:08 PM
A Peter Baynham-ism according to the commentary. Dunno why I remember that.

He also came up with the exact name for that curtain around the bottom of the bed in the Jill sex scene. Can't remember the dialogue now, you know what I mean.