Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:34:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 08, 2020, 04:11:09 PM
"Did he bring the antenna down with him?"

Similarly "bugger!" when hearing that matey + widow had 'booked to go on holiday next week'.

Brilliant.

Ornlu

Ferris

From 1993, a fictional one-off radio documentary detailing behind the scenes at Peartree Productions.

Knowing 'Knowing Me, Knowing You'

Only had it on for a minute and I can hear Iannucci so it must be good. Never even heard of it before today so no idea how obscure it is.

QDRPHNC

QDRPHNC

Did I imagine it or at one point does he tell Lisa she's off her chuff? Wonder if this formed some of the research for IAP, isn't Lisa the production assistant whose bag he goes through looking for drugs? She's not mentioned anywhere else, I don't think.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on December 28, 2020, 12:06:34 AM
From 1993, a fictional one-off radio documentary detailing behind the scenes at Peartree Productions.

Only had it on for a minute and I can hear Iannucci so it must be good. Never even heard of it before today so no idea how obscure it is.

Quite funny 'takedown' of the user Real Thailand in the comments after they complain about there being no video, involving them not understanding a barrage of Partridge quotes.

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 28, 2020, 01:19:48 AM
Did I imagine it or at one point does he tell Lisa she's off her chuff? Wonder if this formed some of the research for IAP, isn't Lisa the production assistant whose bag he goes through looking for drugs? She's not mentioned anywhere else, I don't think.

Very good catch on the name Lisa, I didn't notice that.

Nice bit of partridge, first/only bit of Carol voice work as well.

trabuch

I really like this. I think it had an influence. It has been on R4extra, but I don't know if it was broadcast on R4 at the time of KMKY. I await enlightenment.

Menu

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 28, 2020, 01:31:11 AM
Quite funny 'takedown' of the user Real Thailand in the comments after they complain about there being no video, involving them not understanding a barrage of Partridge quotes.

I think he cottons on after a while but it's funny to begin with. Another highlight of this 'documentary' is that we get to hear Carol's voice.

Magnum Valentino

It was on the CD release. It's very good, and is bound to be the first glimpse of the "real" Alan, isn't it?

McDead

"IT'S A WEAVE!"

Don't think that's still canon, alas.

Mr Trumpet

"I had to laugh when I saw the steering column. It's adjustable for rake, but not reach! Unbelievable."

Lungpuddle

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 28, 2020, 01:31:11 AM

Just came across this, thanks for pointing in RT's direction, the whole back and forth is ruddy hilarious.

wooders1978

I can't get my head around how someone who clearly has no knowledge of partridge stumbled across this obscure radio spin off of a 1990s tvshow on YouTube?

Thanks for the link by the way, very enjoyable and he was much more like modern day partridge wasn't he?

cacciaguida

Listened to the first 5 minutes or so of this, with the intention of coming back later.

And when I come back later, what do I find? It's gone! Taken down by the biased broadcasting company.

Luckily, the good people at the BBC have it available here still... https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00800kh

Might find a way to download for posterity.

wooders1978

That video was there for years and suddenly it's gone? We have a spy in our midst!

Mobius

Partridge name dropping Modest Mouse in Nomad is a weirdly modern reference. Admittedly he does call them Modest House and say he likes them because they sound like Bryan Ferry

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 07, 2021, 02:47:56 PM
That video was there for years and suddenly it's gone? We have a spy in our midst!
I thought the exact same thing when I sat down to watch this, after bookmarking and getting all excited.  Can anyone help out an antipodean chum?  Trying to google 'Knowing Knowing Me, Knowing You' is an exercise in frustration, did I mean 'ABBA'?  No I did not you big bollocks.

EDIT:  Ah it's all good, BBC Sounds stuff works fine abroad.  Only got 13 days to listen to it though!

Ornlu

Quote from: Mobius on January 08, 2021, 12:37:28 AM
Partridge name dropping Modest Mouse in Nomad is a weirdly modern reference. Admittedly he does call them Modest House and say he likes them because they sound like Bryan Ferry

Could have heard about them from Denise or Fernando, or peeked at their Spotify Premiums.

Gulftastic

'Your legs go right up to your armpits... Not literally, that would be hideous...'

PowerButchi

petril

every time he tries to sort of assert himself and plough on when he's stumbled over his words a bit. best of both worlds and all of those ones

wooders1978

That was T'Pau, which is Yorkshire for "The Pau"

kalowski

"That's rubbish. I know for a fact Martin Lewis got two power showers out of them. One for him, and one for his brother-in-law."

markburgle

Quote from: petrilTanaka on January 11, 2021, 09:06:35 PM
every time he tries to sort of assert himself and plough on when he's stumbled over his words a bit. best of both worlds and all of those ones

It's funny when he goes "Guess who's big in the backtime!", but he's quoting himself having said it wrong as part of an anecdote. Like, he could've easily skipped that in his telling but his own pedantry won't allow him to.

kalowski

"Right, ok.  "Shoestring", "Taggart", "Spender", "Bergerac", "Morse". What does that say to you about regional detective series?"
"There's too many of them?"
"That's one way of looking at it. Another way of looking at it is, people like them, let's make some more of them."

petril

Quote from: markburgle on January 15, 2021, 04:52:56 PM
It's funny when he goes "Guess who's big in the backtime!", but he's quoting himself having said it wrong as part of an anecdote. Like, he could've easily skipped that in his telling but his own pedantry won't allow him to.

yeah, it's like it counts as a win for him to explain something extra, that he can play at any time, in his own head

Twonty Gostelow

The MMM Book Club.

"I love metaphors. I really got into them a couple of years ago, and now if I read a title that is too literal it actually annoys me?"

The rising interrogative at the end makes it even funnier.

Ornlu

'Oh it's just a generic annoying man that lives inside my mind' I believe just has so much to unpack from.