Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,467
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:52:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

I have a feeling that the masks were made (the ones from the stalker ep - not the chat show ones) and they are mentioned either on the Monkey Tennis podcast (which I don't want to go back and listen to) or one of the commentaries. I have no further useful info though.

Magnum Valentino

Are the chat show ones and the stalker episode ones not the same?

BeardFaceMan

I think it's on the IAP series 1 commentaries they talk about this, bemoaning the fact they didn't make any blazer badge and tie combo sets or merch like that. I think HMV were selling some kind of badge and tie t-shirt with a box set of the VHS tapes, but that wasn't anything to do with them.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 02, 2021, 05:35:42 PM
I think HMV were selling some kind of badge and tie t-shirt with a box set of the VHS tapes, but that wasn't anything to do with them.

I remember searching all over this when it came out, but it sold out.

Twonty Gostelow

There was an official Partridge driving licence in a limited edition - I still have it - but I have every Coogan/Partridge DVD and can't remember which one it came with.

Magnum Valentino

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 02, 2021, 08:58:49 PM
Why?! That's not a memorable prop!

Ah, sorry. I misread it as Partridge merchandise in general, not merchandise related to props in the show.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on February 02, 2021, 10:37:46 PM
Ah, sorry. I misread it as Partridge merchandise in general, not merchandise related to props in the show.

I think that Magnum Valentino's point was why did they choose a driving license as the promotional item for the deluxe edition DVD?  It seems like a very odd choice to make.  There's plenty of items from the shows themselves that would have been better suited (a little model Rover 800 with the words "COOK PASS BABTRIDGE" written on the side would have been ace, for example).

paruses

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 02, 2021, 05:26:13 PM
Are the chat show ones and the stalker episode ones not the same?

Yes of course. I think my brain short-circuited.

Starlit

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 02, 2021, 05:35:42 PM
I think HMV were selling some kind of badge and tie t-shirt with a box set of the VHS tapes, but that wasn't anything to do with them.

It wasn't very good. Just a square print of part of the front of a blazer and a tie printed on a white T shirt (possibly 'one size fits all') that never looked even half good. I don't think that I ever properly wore my one. I can't remember what happened to it.

paruses

Come on Jill! You're from Holt. You're from Holt Jill!

kalowski

"...sustaining and maintaining our audience in an increasingly fragmented marketplace."

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on February 02, 2021, 07:54:44 PM
There was an official Partridge driving licence in a limited edition - I still have it - but I have every Coogan/Partridge DVD and can't remember which one it came with.

That came with the hardback of I, Partridge. I think it's still in mine as a bookmark.

H-O-W-L

The thunderous thuds of Alan's clown shoe feet in the Comic Relief sketch never fails to give me a fucking paroxysm of laughter. I was playing Hitman 3 earlier today in the clown costume, and the slapping booms of 47's feet in his clown shoes reminded me of it and made me laugh so hard.

Magnum Valentino

See the comments on that, those sorts of people seem to be all over the Internet. People who just parrot the same fucking phrases over and over.

Are there any other comedies that boast ownership of two such diverse sets of fanbases? Aye, I mean us lot like. Thoughtful, appreciative, obsessive even. But given to discussion and reflection and even reverence.

How can Partridge inspire that AND "back of the net" cunts? Is it because he has a funny voice?

paruses

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 04, 2021, 09:34:37 PM
See the comments on that, those sorts of people seem to be all over the Internet. People who just parrot the same fucking phrases over and over.

Are there any other comedies that boast ownership of two such diverse sets of fanbases? Aye, I mean us lot like. Thoughtful, appreciative, obsessive even. But given to discussion and reflection and even reverence.

How can Partridge inspire that AND "back of the net" cunts? Is it because he has a funny voice?

Good observation. Is it IAP2 where all the quotes comes from? Never occurred to me before but I never hear / read people quoting the earlier or later stuff (far as I am aware). Maybe some IAP - "You're a mentalist", Big Plate, Smell my Cheese, perhaps.

I am not a Facebook person so can't read any comments. How many down is the first "Dan Dan Dan"?

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 02, 2021, 10:54:32 PM
I think that Magnum Valentino's point was why did they choose a driving license as the promotional item for the deluxe edition DVD?  It seems like a very odd choice to make.

Ah, thanks, another thicko misreading from me.

Magval, please ignore the thirty PMs I sent you.

Quote from: Toxteth OGrady on February 04, 2021, 11:19:34 AM
That came with the hardback of I, Partridge. I think it's still in mine as a bookmark.

Thank you! Got it from play.com, as you say.

Ferris

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on February 04, 2021, 09:34:37 PM

The Alan partridge sub on reddit is atrocious for this. Just cunts banging on about using the sausage as a breakwater and no vocal cords lmao.

It is just woeful stuff.

Magnum Valentino

But never let it distract from how great those little pieces of writing are. See it can be hard to disassociate the things you like from the people who abuse them the more time you spend around, well, people.

On the subject of Dan!, has anyone else here had the misfortune of counting (and remembering the count) of how many times he says it? Picked that up at some stage over the years and I guess I'll know that forever now.

Spoiler alert
Sixteen.
[close]

QDRPHNC

^ Attended a very fun AP trivia night in Belfast a few years ago where that was one of the questions.

I was a team of one (although joined by my sister and her husband), and came in second, winning myself a chocolate orange with superficial damage to the box.

petril

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 05, 2021, 12:11:57 AM
The Alan partridge sub on reddit is atrocious for this. Just cunts banging on about using the sausage as a breakwater and no vocal cords lmao.

It is just woeful stuff.

it's what I'd call a Phase Nook. its the sort of tiny part of the internet you'd see for the first time and dive in and wade around in for a short while, then just casually fuck off, low low expectations having been met

Ferris

Quote from: petrilTanaka on February 05, 2021, 02:49:51 PM
it's what I'd call a Phase Nook. its the sort of tiny part of the internet you'd see for the first time and dive in and wade around in for a short while, then just casually fuck off, low low expectations having been met

There will occasionally be something good posted in there (like the mock "making of" radio special from the '90s I posted here a few pages back) which is why I'm still subscribed, but the lowest of low expectations will still leave you disappointed with the comments section.

JamesTC

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 05, 2021, 12:11:57 AM

It is just woeful stuff.

Was interested so took a look.

St_Eddie

Ferris

Click on any one of those, and the comments will be cunts saying "7 on 10!" and "Dan!"

It is desolation-fuel.

QDRPHNC

It's telling that most of the catchphrases are from IAP2. To paraphrase Hunter S. Thompson, bad people watch bad comedy.

kalowski

Lofty as we are, "Yes, it's an extender!" is a great line in a great section.

Of IAP1.

Deaf offenders?

Magnum Valentino

I've no problem with IAP2 personally. It's much better than Nomad, at least. I love its atmosphere of someone with no responsibility just having stupid mundane adventures and working late into the night. Dream life for me really. I also thing it's really funny and the big scenes are amongst the very best in British comedy.

Just a word or two of defense there.