Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:03:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paruses

Quote from: Mobius on April 29, 2021, 12:20:28 PM
I like the bit in Oasthouse where someone asks why he doesn't have a Norfolk accent and Partridge gets angry and apologises for getting "het up" , I'd never heard het before

Have to give Oast House a second listen soon but does he say 'het' is a Norfolk word? Am from the East Midlands and grew up with it and my very Lancashire friend also says it - which fits in with Coogan bringing that to Alan's speech patterns.

From what I remember that whole Norfolk rant was very much like the "Alan's hair" grumbling.

Ferris

"As brave as 10 firemen! Or a dozen policemen."

H-O-W-L

Unrelated but since this is a general Partridge deal, I think it would've been funnier in Alpha Papa if Alan had fucked up at one point and played the interminably shit Pet Shop Boys version of Always On My Mind instead of the Willie Nelson version.

DrGreggles

H-O-W-L

amateur

It's the only good cover version!

Stop getting Pet Shop Boys wrong!

H-O-W-L

Ahhh but Willie Nelson's version is a cover version and it's good ahhhhh

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Gurke and Hare

A Sun journalist who killed his wife, served a prison sentence and was then welcomed back into the Sun office died a couple of days ago, and various journos have been surprised to the response to the tributes to this lovely, nice man. I couldn't help keep thinking "Identification only possible with reference to dental records".

JamesTC

I didn't know which Partridge thread to post this in but I didn't think it was worth its own thread.

Does Alan actually own the rights to K9?

mjwilson

I think he would sell them to you for the right price, if that's why you're asking.

Magnum Valentino

I always saw that as a wee drop in the otherwise robustly embraced continuity, as K9 has appeared in the unexpectedly massive Doctor Who after Alan bought the rights and a wee mention of a royalty check being spend on something amusing could have been worth a line or two.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

That can easily be explained away by Alan either selling the rights to someone else after recovering from his breakdown - after all, he was clearly aware that he'd spent a massive amount of money on an apparently futile business venture - or the deal turning out to be a con, and he didn't own the rights to K-9 at all.

But yeah, it's funny. Alan could've made a fortune.

Retinend

This mental breakdown from MMM s01e05 3 mins in:

(Alan is determined not to mess up his appearance on a fellow NND host's morning show, and has drunk two cups of coffee after arriving far too early to the studio)

Host: ...sounds delicious. So! It's 7:01 and it's time for a review of today's papers with... Alan!

Alan: Right you are! So, I have got some big tits for you tit tits tit-titbit bit tits bits tit titbits! Titbits!

Host: (laughing) Freudian slip there - oh dear sorry about that

Alan: I don't know what the fuss is about really I mean... (gestures having breasts) they're just pointed sacks of fat on the upper torso of a woman for goodness sakes. What's the big deal, people? I mean, you know we've all got our favourite - all got our favourite - um - gland. Mine just happens to be the - uh -mammory-The Independent leads with "Government in Secret Spending Cuts"...

(He reads out yesterday's headlines - because he arrived too early to have picked up the new headlines, and therefore must improvise a traffic report to fill the dead air: "just-just-just-just drive sensibly, for Christ's sakes!")

kalowski

Ferris

See also from MMM: the hyper ventilating and "god not now" which implies he has semi-regular panic attacks.

H-O-W-L

Again a bit unrelated but I'm watching MMM in full for the first time (don't judge) and I'm laughing my fucking arse off.

Mobius

Quote from: H-O-W-L on May 13, 2021, 12:53:18 AM
Again a bit unrelated but I'm watching MMM in full for the first time (don't judge) and I'm laughing my fucking arse off.

It's really hard to choose a favourite era Partridge but the MMM, WTTPIML, Scissored Isle, I Partridge and Nomad era are probably mine. The Gibbonses have added so much to the Partridge character.

MMM is probably the peak, just the perfect environment for Alan I reckon.

Ferris

Quote from: Mobius on May 13, 2021, 12:58:27 AM
It's really hard to choose a favourite era Partridge but the MMM, WTTPIML, Scissored Isle, I Partridge and Nomad era are probably mine. The Gibbonses have added so much to the Partridge character.

MMM is probably the peak, just the perfect environment for Alan I reckon.

Massively agree with all this.

H-O-W-L

The parts that have utterly split me the most are the little vignettes of Alan alone, like the mouthwash bit.

H-O-W-L

Huh, was his step-child Colby ever brought up again?

EDIT:

Nevermind it's one of the kids from Alpha Papa in't it?

kalowski

I know it's not acceptable to give your spouse a fat lip or a thick ear and hasn't been acceptable since 1978. Even in Scotland.

H-O-W-L

"Why would you want to kill... people... most of whom are already dead?"
"Noel Edmonds isn't. He's very much still at large."

EDIT:
Probably reading into it too much, but is that a clever reference to the Brass Eye bit about Edmonds?
Spoiler alert
Is he a wanted felon in the MMM 'verse?
[close]
[/sub][/sub]

jobotic

I send a command to my brain. Instantly the fingers of my right hand begin to curl inwards. Within seconds a fist has been formed.

It's the "within seconds" obviously.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Opening 15 minutes of Scissored Isle is so fluid, bouncing from one laugh to another, quick enough that you need to go back and rewatch in case you missed anything.

Tesco Lifer Pat Bevan

frajer

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 14, 2021, 01:41:22 PM
Opening 15 minutes of Scissored Isle is so fluid, bouncing from one laugh to another, quick enough that you need to go back and rewatch in case you missed anything.

Tesco Lifer Pat Bevan

Big time.

Out of nowhere my brain sometimes offers up "Need help with packinnggg?"

Ferris

"They call them bag for life, must have a dozen in the boot of the carrr"