Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:54:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

I don't remember that at all but am interested to see if anyone else does.

magval

Aye, same here.

I think that the time joke works best with the assumption that the last time you saw Alan he WAS on TV. By that token, it can never again work as well as it did when it was first broadcast unless you're working through Partridge chronologically but have never ever heard of him. If you've watched any episode of that series even once, that joke is no longer a joke, it's just a statement of location.

It may be the most specifically of-its-time joke - right down to the moment, with the years that have passed in the interim - ever broadcast.

bgmnts

One of my favourite ever things is (unsurprisingly) from the I Partridge audiobook. Just after he shoots Forbes Macallister.

"The health and safety man has a lot to say".

Coogan's delivery is beautiful. In fact, the mega density of laughs in those two books is mental.

Ferris

Also "knowing me, Alan Partridge, knowing you, the police - aha"

And "WHAT HAPPNS NOW?"

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Spudgun on September 12, 2018, 03:47:45 PM
Not necessarily a gem, but taking the "Oft-forgotten" part of the thread title way more literally than intended...

How does the first episode of I'm Alan Partridge start? Every version I've seen since the original broadcast begins in the radio studio, and that includes the DVD release. But I swear I have a crystal clear memory of that first episode starting with a sort of blurry echo-y dream sequence of the end of Knowing Me, Knowing Yule, and as Tony Hayers tells Alan that he's going to make sure he never works in television again, the flashback transitions into the familiar opening. It's also part of the reason why the "It's 4:35am" reveal gets such a big laugh (and I don't think it works anywhere near as well without it).

The problem is, I couldn't find any evidence of any of the above with a quick Google. Am I going mad?

Sounds like a kind of "previously on..." recap that might have gone out before the original broadcast, but not part of the episode proper.

Gulftastic

The bit in 'I, Partridge' when he is boasting about how the kettle in his Travel Tavern room allows him to make things like pot noodles etc....but when combined with the fridge, BANG! you've got jelly.

Phil_A

Not necessarily a gem, but taking the "Oft-forgotten" part of the thread title way more literally than intended...

How does the first episode of I'm Alan Partridge start? Every version I've seen since the original broadcast begins in the radio studio, and that includes the DVD release. But I swear I have a crystal clear memory of that first episode starting with a sort of blurry echo-y dream sequence of the end of Knowing Me, Knowing Yule, and as Tony Hayers tells Alan that he's going to make sure he never works in television again, the flashback transitions into the familiar opening. It's also part of the reason why the "It's 4:35am" reveal gets such a big laugh (and I don't think it works anywhere near as well without it).

The problem is, I couldn't find any evidence of any of the above with a quick Google. Am I going mad?

That was the trailer for the series, wasn't it? "NEVER work on television again...NEVER...NEVER..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7TxOZYWLk

DrGreggles

You're right, that's how it was first broadcast.
It was one of the first shows I transferred from recorded-off-the-telly VHS to disc and watched that countless times before it got a proper DVD release.

Spudgun

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 12, 2018, 07:34:57 PM
You're right, that's how it was first broadcast.

Well that's a relief - thank you! Given the previous post, I was beginning to think I'd conflated the episode opening with the trailer, even though it wasn't exactly what I remembered.

It was one of the first shows I transferred from recorded-off-the-telly VHS to disc and watched that countless times before it got a proper DVD release.

I don't suppose you'd be able to share a clip of that pre-credits sequence, would you, please? Don't worry if it's not possible, but (a) I'd love to see it again, and (b) it seems to have gone completely undocumented online.

DrGreggles

Spudgun

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 12, 2018, 10:32:02 PM
No idea where it is now, sadly.

Ah, no worries - I just find it strange that this bit has been nearly completely eradicated from existence. Here's hoping someone somewhere has an original off-air recording...

Ferris

From mid morning matters

"You're listening to Alan Partridge. Eddie's adenoids continue to block the vast majority of his nasal passages and he continues to smoke like a gangster in a 1940s film! ...who even the other gangsters think - smokes to excess...

Something about 'excess' slays me every time.

checkoutgirl

From KMKYWAP radio, discussing Cyrano De Bergerac with France's second best racing driver.

QuoteI'm... not... so keen on it, I mean, I don't like what they did with the idea, they set in in the 17th century, gave him a long nose, maybe it made it a bit funnier... but, but for the British, Bergerac is John Nettles... I... I thought you ruined it really... I'm just glad you haven't got your hands on "Lovejoy"... Probably set it in the future! When, of course, antiques will be even more expensive... Not a bad idea really!

magval

That "when antiques will be even more expensive" is golden writing. I fucking love that, and the way he delivers it.

jobotic

I'm watching it right now so I hope it's not cheating, but "their sex life was, for want of a better word, moribund".

checkoutgirl

QuoteI am Hans Christian Alanpartidge-Son

QuoteWarm soapy water..................it's gotta be warm

checkoutgirl

QuoteCould someone clear that shit away, please? It's just it's in my picture. People may associate it with me.

easytarget

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 07, 2018, 10:01:14 PM
"This is David Copperfield. Yes. He's the American magician. You know. "I'm an American".
They should play that at the naturalization ceremony for new Americans.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 28, 2018, 06:53:16 AM

That must have been an ad lib too. Did the horse shitting go out on the original broadcast?

checkoutgirl

QuoteAlan: Marvelous. Marvelous. Tony, how did you do that?
Tony: Simple, Alan. The power of the paranormal.
Alan: Right. It's not a lever or anything?
Tony: No.

Mobius

I've noticed 2 continuity errors in Partridge recently

1) In IAP Series 2 when Partridge introduces the song Life in Tokyo by Japan he says "It's certainly congested, I'd love to go!" But in the I, Partridge autobiography he talks about travelling to Tokyo to commentate on the Olympics and going out and drinking sake with Sally Gunnel.

2) In the Partridge movie he says he's never been in a police car but in the I, Partridge audiobook he discusses in detail being grilled by coppers on the death of Forbes McAllister and being held at the station and even given a meal. Surely the coppers would have driven him from television studios to the station?

Oh it gets dark, it gets lonely...

Ferris

He claims to enjoy Deal or no Deal ("reason? Edmonds") when interviewing himself in MMM and describes having a pleasant dinner with Neol and learning the secret tactic to win the gameshow.

And yet! In Nomad, he hates Neol from the outset of his career after a number of negative interactions with him in the early days. What gives?

hermitical

popcorn

I think they should do another book that wraps up all the plot holes and inconsistencies. He can just say he was confused. Easy.

Ferris

There are a few instances in the books where he just says he doesn't remember why he did something, or was just "in a bad mood" as an explanation which I think is hilarious.

kalowski

Dogbeard

Just started listening to Nomad. There's a bit where he mentions getting rubbed up the wrong way on his radio show and putting on Fairground by Simply Red, which he puts on when he wants to annoy his listeners.

The concept of him not only wanting sometimes to actively annoy his listeners, the people indirectly responsible for his livelihood, but also having a special song he reserves for this function really tickled me, and was so in line with the petty levels of malice which afflict the character.

Utter Shit

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on October 15, 2018, 05:25:10 PM
There are a few instances in the books where he just says he doesn't remember why he did something, or was just "in a bad mood" as an explanation which I think is hilarious.

There's a great bit towards the end of I, Partridge where he talks in some detail about an outfit he had planned for some fancy dress thing at the radio station, only to end the anecdote by saying that he woke up on the day in a bad mood so wore his normal clothes instead. Brilliant.

Quote from: Dogbeard on October 17, 2018, 11:42:04 AM
Just started listening to Nomad. There's a bit where he mentions getting rubbed up the wrong way on his radio show and putting on Fairground by Simply Red, which he puts on when he wants to annoy his listeners.

The concept of him not only wanting sometimes to actively annoy his listeners, the people indirectly responsible for his livelihood, but also having a special song he reserves for this function really tickled me, and was so in line with the petty levels of malice which afflict the character.

It's also another pop at Mick Hucknall after his "beef tomato" jibe on MMM.

Cuellar

Can't remember the context but he's talking about Nelson (possibly in Simply The Best of Norfolk in MMM) and describes him as being shot(?) and then 'subsequently kissed'.

Love it.