Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 08:19:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Oft-forgotten gems from the Alan Partridge canon

Started by MoonDust, January 21, 2017, 08:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

(Raises hand like at the funeral of Tony Hayers)

May I have the link too, please?

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 13, 2019, 10:50:37 AM
For those that have the link I've just put the stand up bits from The Cream Of British Comedy in the audio Partridge folder, pretty sure that's everything I have now.

Thanks again for the extra file.

I was revisiting his interview with Simon Pegg as the safe sex expert last night, where Alan hypothesises about being a gayman about to have it off with a man dressed as an American Indian, and being told by Pegg that he must insist the man wears a condom under any circumstances. "What if he threatens me with his tomahawk?"

Also Alan's long list of things he might be able to use if there's no KY Jelly available. "... Pantene Pro V Plus hair conditioner? Eyewash? Sunny Delight?"

kalowski

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on January 13, 2019, 12:25:59 PM
Thanks again for the extra file.

I was revisiting his interview with Simon Pegg as the safe sex expert last night, where Alan hypothesises about being a gayman about to have it off with a man dressed as an American Indian, and being told by Pegg that he must insist the man wears a condom under any circumstances. "What if he threatens me with his tomahawk?"

Also Alan's long list of things he might be able to use if there's no KY Jelly available. "... Pantene Pro V Plus hair conditioner? Eyewash? Sunny Delight?"
In my middle class world I'm sat in a waiting room whilst my daughter has her piano lesson, and this has just made me burst out laughing, to the consternation of the other parents!!

Maurice Yeatman

kalowski

Maurice Yeatman

After Alan mentions the other guy is dressed as a native American:

ALAN: He rips off my leather chaps...

PEGG: You're dressed as a cowboy...

ALAN: [slightly puzzled] No.

kalowski

kalowski

"Cowerd, Edmonds, Gordon and now Gallagher."

"You're not the first Noel, you're not the second Noel, you're not the third Noel, you're the fourth Noel."

St_Eddie

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on January 13, 2019, 10:50:37 AM
For those that have the link I've just put the stand up bits from The Cream Of British Comedy in the audio Partridge folder, pretty sure that's everything I have now.

Could I have the link please?  I seem to recall you saying that you had a partial recording from one of the series 2 episodes of I'm Alan Partridge and I'm hoping to acquire a copy.

The Lurker

Ferris

Spudgun

If four in a row isn't pushing it, I'd also definitely appreciate the link, please.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 09, 2019, 02:21:15 PMAnd then here comes Steve Coogan, who hasn't just mid-Atlantic'd his accent, he's shifted his whole attitude presenting this 'tickle me' version of British/Irish culture to this cunt.

Yes, it's horribly tailored. The accent's mad (he's working with Michael Winnerbahddum), and it's surreal when he talks about Stan Laurel having a transatlantic accent with seemingly no self awareness. But you're right, he also shifts the entire conversation to American-pleasing. He does a whole Boston Irish characterisation thing for Manchester Irish, talks about how Monty Python was his big influence, and brings up Eddie Izzard as the only comedian he saw.

Curiously unlikeable, Coogan. He always seems simultaneously needy and a bastard, and his thoughts on comedy are a boring received narrative. I can't think of anyone else with such a gap between how much affection I have for their work and how little affection I have for them as an interviewee.

The Lee & Herring fan in me enjoyed his odd little off the cuff and apparently sincere comment that Marber wasn't very good at comedy.

poodlefaker

I started to watch Ideal Home on Netflix last night, because it looked as if Coogan's character was going to be a gay Partridge. Managed about ten minutes; his accent is bizarre.

Utter Shit

Coogles was on Norton the other night, I kept an ear out but couldn't hear any hint of an American accent.

With regard to the Irish thing...it's fair enough isn't it, his mum was Irish so he probably has plenty of experience of the culture and maybe is only now finding the time/inclination to explore that part of his identity properly. Plus working for however many months on the Laurel and Hardy movie with John C. Reilly, who seems to be completely steeped in Irish culture, probably helped.

I'm in a similar boat, albeit younger - I never really paid much attention to my Irish roots (both parents born and raised there) until my late 20s, then almost overnight I took a much greater interest in it.

markpaterson

ALAN'S. BALANCED. DEBATE.

(it's genuinely balanced)

Mobius

Quote from: markpaterson on January 16, 2019, 04:33:56 AM
ALAN'S. BALANCED. DEBATE.

(it's genuinely balanced)

Haha. Reminds me of another good jingle

Zoe - Spanning the alphabet from A to Z, it's Alan and Zoe!
Alan - But mainly Alan.

"An Annus Horriblis, which is actually just Latin for The Queen's Sad Year"

markpaterson

re: Coogan's americanized accent on recent US interviews.

I don't buy that fact that he's been spending time in America as the reason for it accidentally changing. I've lived in the US for 10 years now, and my accent, to many people, still sounds like I've stepped off the plane from Manchester Airport (although some people from back home can hear subtle changes). But again, I speak to people from England on the phone a lot, and that helps keep my accent in check.

It's clear from Coogan's recent British interviews that he's able to turn his Americanized accent on and off like a tap (faucet?). I think this is 100% intentional and beneficial to him (for whatever reason), and obviously very easy for a man of his talents. Maybe it's to be easier understood? Or Accepted?

He did comment in another interview how when in America he might ask for "wader" instead of "water" simply to be understood, and to be honest I often find myself doing the same kind of thing. When I introduce myself as Mark in my British accent, 9 times of out 10 they reply "Mike?". Imagine a US southern drawl accent saying Mark and you'll see what I mean, it kind of sounds like Maaaaak / Miiiiiiike. So now I always roll my R slightly so they hear it as Mark instead. And a little piece of me dies inside.

Anyway, just my 2 cents (pence?) as a Brit living in the US.

popcorn

I dunno, I do think it could easily be accidental.

I lived in Canada for a year and when I got back everyone said I sounded the same. But then a weird thing happened - I dialled what I thought was a drum shop but somehow fucked it up on my phone completely and ended up dialling my dad. When I started speaking he told me I'd got the wrong number, at which point I recognised his voice, but he said I'd sounded Canadian. As soon as I hung up my friend who'd been sitting next to me said "You sounded really Canadian just then." I think my brain had gone into "you're about to talk to some sort of customer service person you don't know" mode and slotted me into a Canadian gear.

Likewise, when I listen back to recordings of conversations I made in Canada, with Canadians, I sound cringily transadlantic now. And one of my friends lived in New Orleans for six months and she came back saying "budder" and it did my head in.

In Coogan's case, he's such a linguistic sponge - I mean he started off doing impressions as we all know - it makes sense that his accent would morph in different contexts even more than most.

Quote from: markpaterson on January 16, 2019, 05:29:57 AM
I don't buy that fact that he's been spending time in America as the reason for it accidentally changing. I've lived in the US for 10 years now, and my accent, to many people, still sounds like I've stepped off the plane from Manchester Airport

Coogan probably sounds super-British (or maybe even Irish) to most Americans in that podcast interview. Brits used to his normal accent hear the American parts, as they're weird to us, and Americans will hear the British parts.

kalowski

I remember being in NYC and asking for a tomato juice, about 5 times, to a very confused waitress. When I said tom-ay-to juice she understood straight away.

popcorn

Quote from: kalowski on January 16, 2019, 06:43:47 AM
I remember being in NYC and asking for a tomato juice, about 5 times, to a very confused waitress. When I said tom-ay-to juice she understood straight away.

Right, and then after that point you probably said tomayto every time, right? Or would have if you'd been staying there long enough. You start off making these kind of smoothing changes consciously but then other ones slip in and before you know it you're a full race traitor.

BeardFaceMan

Its been a whole since I've watched the DVDs but didnt one of them have some of the radio jingles as an extra? Would be great to have all of those and the new MMM ones.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: markpaterson on January 16, 2019, 05:29:57 AM
He did comment in another interview how when in America he might ask for "wader" instead of "water" simply to be understoods

Yeah I was on an American plane once and the woman was stumped by my request for "butter". She thought I was saying water. I should have said "budder" to save time. I think even people who aren't actors change their accent to fit in, consciously and unconsciously. Remember that football manager with the Dutch accent. Given Coogan's not only an actor but a gifted mimic it's even more understandable.

Surprised by the dislike for Coogan as an interviewer. Any ones I've seen him do I thought he seemed sound enough. Haven't seen a recent interview mind.

Chollis

Couldn't get through that Maron podcast. That accent is baffling.

jake thunder

I once asked for a bottle of water in New York and the guy thought I said bowtie. Yeah I want a bowtie from dunkin donuts.

Ferris

Quote from: popcorn on January 16, 2019, 06:54:26 AM
Right, and then after that point you probably said tomayto every time, right? Or would have if you'd been staying there long enough. You start off making these kind of smoothing changes consciously but then other ones slip in and before you know it you're a full race traitor.

My accent is a horrible mish-mash of accents and dialects. I like to think it makes me sound like a global citizen, but tbh I probably just sound like a berk. Such is life.