Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 03:21:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Sneaky Pete (Amazon show co-created by and featuring Bryan Cranston)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 22, 2017, 12:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

So where to start? A brief synopsis stolen from Wiki? Yeah, why not:

QuoteSneaky Pete is an American crime drama series created by David Shore and Bryan Cranston. The series follows Marius Josipovic (Giovanni Ribisi), a released convict who adopts the identity of his cell mate in order to avoid his past life. The pilot debuted on August 7, 2015, and was followed by a full series order that September. Shore left the project in early 2016 and was replaced by Graham Yost, who served as executive producer and showrunner for the remaining nine episodes. On January 19, 2017, Amazon announced they had renewed Sneaky Pete for a second season.

I've only watched the pilot so far and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. There are elements I like, Ribisi's surprisingly decent and not annoying for a change, whilst the rest of the cast are okay too. Plot wise it's sort of Hustle-esque stuff as he fools various folk and gets up to hijinks, and I guess my main problem is that whilst it's more than competent it's not much more than that, it never really shines or surprises. Cranston
Spoiler alert
only turns up for the final twist at the end and is a bit hammy too, though I guess it's unfair to judge him by such a short appearance.
[close]
And who knows what the rest of it will be like, given the change in showrunner? I'm going to watch a couple more episodes without doubt, but I've no idea if it'll grow in to a series I like or not.

Howj Begg

Why have they named this after the steel guitarist from The Flying Burrito Bros?

Moribunderast

I've been enjoying this (got 3 episodes to go) but it's not without it's flaws. Cranston is a bit much at times (though he does have one great monologue) and the writing can be a little duff. Between episodes 3 and 4 I counted about 5 times where
Spoiler alert
Ribisi's character was almost found out, just to have someone receive a phone call that distracts them from the evidence.
[close]
Seemed very lazy. The show is full of little conveniences like that - Cranston's previous show would have considered more varied and elaborate ways of getting the main character out of jeopardy.

That said, I've found it very watchable and have been breezing through the episodes as there's enough elements that I enjoy and the story ticks along at a good pace. The show likely won't be featuring in any year-end lists but it's an easy binge watch - probably best done in that fashion, actually, as I reckon a weekly space between episodes would have me quickly tearing at the cracks in the writing and giving up. God, it sounds like I hate this show but I really don't. It's fine, okay?

Mobius

I'm struggling with the first episode but going to hang on until Cranston shows up. Not really feeling it so far though, Ribisi is very squinty.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 22, 2017, 01:18:16 AM
That said, I've found it very watchable and have been breezing through the episodes as there's enough elements that I enjoy and the story ticks along at a good pace. The show likely won't be featuring in any year-end lists but it's an easy binge watch - probably best done in that fashion, actually, as I reckon a weekly space between episodes would have me quickly tearing at the cracks in the writing and giving up. God, it sounds like I hate this show but I really don't. It's fine, okay?

I'm four episodes in now and that's pretty much how I'm feeling. Some nice moments, moves at a pace, but isn't anything special at all. It intrigues me just enough to stick with it, but I can't help but wish it was a bit better. And Cranston's fairly average in it which is disappointing, I expected a lot more of a nuanced character.

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 22, 2017, 01:18:16 AM
Between episodes 3 and 4 I counted about 5 times where
Spoiler alert
Ribisi's character was almost found out, just to have someone receive a phone call that distracts them from the evidence.
[close]
Seemed very lazy.

That's been driving me mad too, it's supposed to be Sneaky Pete, not Unrealistically Fucking Lucky Pete.

phes

Ditching this after episode 1. Started off OK for about 20 minutes. Then all of a sudden it was like someone had inserted 25 minutes of a random and laughably shit TV show from the 1980s. The Main Bloke and the woman pulled off some comically unbelievable japes with Bad Guy Herc in some place or other and it was dreadful. Then it went right back to being mediocre again.

Sigh. We had it so good with Breaking Bad and Justified. Golden Years.

The appearance of Margo Martindale in particular brings to mind Justified. Maybe the most underrated television of the last 15 years

Moribunderast

Quote from: phes on January 30, 2017, 09:24:20 PM
The appearance of Margo Martindale in particular brings to mind Justified. Maybe the most underrated television of the last 15 years

Justified had arguably the best final episode of any "prestige" drama, I reckon. Definitely the best final line. I don't know if I'd say it's underrated (it got 6 or 7 seasons, after all, 5 or 6 more than Terriers!) but it certainly was overshadowed critically due to airing at the same time as Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. I kinda feel the same has happened to another great FX show: The Americans. Anyway, Sneaky Pete...

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on January 29, 2017, 11:06:22 PM
That's been driving me mad too, it's supposed to be Sneaky Pete, not Unrealistically Fucking Lucky Pete.

It almost sounds like a dumb idea for a sketch: Conman who's every elaborate con relies solely on his marks getting distracted at just the right time. Phone calls, hot ladies walking by with ample cleavage showing, birds chirping the American national anthem - all occuring, at "random", just as Pete is about to be discovered. At least THAT show could've played up to Cranston's comedy strengths!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Moribunderast on January 31, 2017, 09:38:14 AM
It almost sounds like a dumb idea for a sketch: Conman who's every elaborate con relies solely on his marks getting distracted at just the right time. Phone calls, hot ladies walking by with ample cleavage showing, birds chirping the American national anthem - all occuring, at "random", just as Pete is about to be discovered. At least THAT show could've played up to Cranston's comedy strengths!

I'd watch that, without a doubt! I'm seven episodes in now and liking it more, if only because I've a fondness for the supporting characters (bar Taylor, naturally) but the more I watch Pete the more I'm sure I wouldn't be conned by him. I mean there's just something about his weasel-ish face that makes me think he's a dodgy type and then some, plus he almost always has a convenient answer to everything. Glad he finally
Spoiler alert
visited the real Pete in prison though, I would have done that ages ago to get more of my supposed backstory.
[close]

Small Man Big Horse

Finished it now, and eh, I guess it was alright. I don't regret watching it, so that can only be a good thing. Horrified to see
Spoiler alert
Desmond Harrington pop up at the end though, I really hope his role in season two turns out to be a small one as he was fucking awful in Dexter.
[close]

phantom_power

Quote from: phes on January 30, 2017, 09:24:20 PM
Ditching this after episode 1. Started off OK for about 20 minutes. Then all of a sudden it was like someone had inserted 25 minutes of a random and laughably shit TV show from the 1980s. The Main Bloke and the woman pulled off some comically unbelievable japes with Bad Guy Herc in some place or other and it was dreadful. Then it went right back to being mediocre again.

Sigh. We had it so good with Breaking Bad and Justified. Golden Years.

Sneaky Pete was Executive Produced by Graham Yost who created Justified so there is that link as well.

I thought it was really enjoyable. A great cast of characters and it ramped up the tension nicely.

Sebastian Cobb

My phone alerted me that series 2 of this is up on prime now.

I enjoyed the first one.

rjd2

Bar the majestic Patriot, is any of the Amazon tv stuff worth watching?

Small Man Big Horse

I sort of mostly enjoyed the first one but don't have the urge to rush and watch this. But I'll probably do so eventually, probably during the summer tv draught.

Quote from: rjd2 on March 14, 2018, 07:49:23 PM
Bar the majestic Patriot, is any of the Amazon tv stuff worth watching?

The Tick was an enormous amount of fun, whilst One Mississippi was superb. And, um, the first two seasons of Red Oaks were pretty good. But that's kind of it.

Edit: Oh, and a lot of people liked The Marvellous Mrs Maisel, but I've not watched it all yet.

Dr Syntax Head

I give up after about 3 episodes, Mrs Syntax (was) stuck it out. I like Ribisi but this wasn't great.

It did start a love of Eels because Fresh Meat was played in the pilot. That little guitar riff is brilliant.

Sebastian Cobb

I watched series 2 on Friday. I enjoyed it but it seemed a bit far-fetched and less well put together compared to the first series. It seemed a lot of the Pete stuff and the family stuff played out in parallel and only occasionally intersected.

Small Man Big Horse

I never got round to the second season, and I've heard it's cancelled now so I doubt I'll ever bother watching the rest.

Sebastian Cobb