Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:34:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

Started by momatt, January 23, 2017, 05:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

momatt

Woo, FIRST.

Cool title I reckon.  Not much more to go on than that.  Well there might be, but I like to avoid any spoilers.

Ignatius_S

Fine, I'll post it here:

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 20, 2017, 03:47:50 PM...I always thought the same too.  I also suspected that for a period during the 90s and start of the new millennium, there was probably a part of Mark Hamill, whom was slightly bitter in regards to Harrison Ford's career skyrocketing after Star Wars, whilst Hamill's career was regulated to mostly appearing in relatively low rent science-fiction such as Slipstream and the Wing Commander games[nb]For the record, I should clarify that I'm a fan of the Wing Commander games... Slipstream; significantly less so.[/nb].  Who really knows though... other than Hamill himself, of course.

Hamill has discussed this in interviews and says that he didn't resent Ford's career in the slightest.

Although it's easy to say 'Well, he would say that', Hamill explained that he's had the kind of freedom to take the acting gigs that a star wouldn't be able to do. He's done an awful lot of theatre work (and IIRC, he's been in some very eclectic work), played roles that he relished and had a very good living, thank you very much. Someone like Ford doesn't have anything like the same kind of freedom.

Slight tangent, but I think this ties in with this, Alex Cox once blogged about trying to get James Gandolfini for a film – they had acted together on a film playing policemen (Cox played the role that they wanted Gandolfini for, IIRC, because he thought it was better) and had got on very well.

Cox dealt with the agent (I think) and had a very frank conversation with him. (This is going from memory, but the article should be on Cox's old site.) Cox was told that James probably would do it but the agent was going to keep the script from him because of that. The reason was that Gandolfini was now a star and the film wouldn't do his career any favours, particularly as the likes of Michael Madsen and Dennis Hopper were attached. 20% of Gandolfini's income went to his agent, another 20% to his manger and another 10% to his PR person – they weren't going to let him do a low-budget film for the enjoyment of it.

greenman

They should stick with the 80's influences for Episode 9: A Flight of Jedi's, you even have a James Earl Jones reference.

mothman

It wouldn't appear to bode well for Luke's chances of survival. But, at least we have a new thread. Let's see how many pages we can clock up before December!

momatt

Quote from: mothman on January 23, 2017, 05:43:05 PM
It wouldn't appear to bode well for Luke's chances of survival. But, at least we have a new thread. Let's see how many pages we can clock up before December!

Have you been reading about the plot, or is this just speculation based on the title?
If the latter - I just think it's referring to Luke currently being the last one.  He's been the last one for ages.  I hope he doesn't die either way.  He deserves  a happy ending after a solidly crappy life.

Malcy

Is there a prize for being first?!?! Not the name i had reported as being copyrighted. I kind of like it...it's ok.

Glebe

...Phew, the Force Awakens thread can finally put it's feet up! Anyhoo...

Quint on AICN:

QuoteThe obvious conclusion to jump to is that Luke is the titular Last Jedi, but here's something to keep in mind: the plural of Jedi is also Jedi, so it could quite possibly mean both Luke and Rey and, hell, a dozen other Jedi for all we know. Hell, is Ben Solo a Jedi underneath his not-quite-Sithness? So many questions!

Hmmm, dunno about that. Luke is going to mentor Rey, who will eventually face off with Kylo and win the day. The End.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on January 23, 2017, 05:31:17 PMHamill has discussed this in interviews and says that he didn't resent Ford's career in the slightest.

Although it's easy to say 'Well, he would say that', Hamill explained that he's had the kind of freedom to take the acting gigs that a star wouldn't be able to do. He's done an awful lot of theatre work (and IIRC, he's been in some very eclectic work), played roles that he relished and had a very good living, thank you very much. Someone like Ford doesn't have anything like the same kind of freedom.

I really like Mark Hamill... he seems like a really nice guy, and actually appears to have a lot of the boyish enthusiasm of the young Luke Skywalker himself in him! After RoJ, it seemed like he was destined for oblivion... I've never seen Slipstream, but I think it was perceived on release as a kind of weak attempt by Hamill to reignite his SW fame (btw, just checking up on it on Wiki, one of the countries it filmed in was Ireland! There has of course been a lot of hoo-ha about the new trilogy filming here). He found a new audience with his Joker for the animated Batman series/films, of course. Only found out in recent times that he's a big comic fan... as mentioned in the previous thread, the first episode of Mark Hamill's Pop Culture Quest is a joyous watch.

Mark Hamill reacts to new 'Star Wars' title.

Let's be having the poster for posterity's sake, lads:

brat-sampson

Red font border there, making it look Dark and Brooding. Interesting choice, but where do you go for the third one? Can't go full black or you can't see the damn thing.

Replies From View

They should call it Eight Last Jeddisses.  It's a sequel so they should always be thinking about more of everything.  Eight is more exciting than just one.

Custard

Won't be long before a trailer, surely? Or a little teaser thing

Replies From View

Quote from: brat-sampson on January 24, 2017, 07:10:05 AM
Red font border there, making it look Dark and Brooding. Interesting choice, but where do you go for the third one? Can't go full black or you can't see the damn thing.

Tory blue.

Norton Canes

I hope there's a scene where they have to disable a forcefield.

BlodwynPig

I hope Spock rags the fuck out of Yoda in a swamp.

momatt

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 24, 2017, 09:54:28 AM
I hope there's a scene where they have to disable a forcefield.

I hope there's a scene where they have to forcefield a disabled.

#gervaisjokes

St_Eddie

They've broken the word count with this title!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A New Hope/The Phantom Menace/The Force Awakens = 3 word title.

The Empire Strikes Back/Attack of the Clones = 4 word title.

Return of the Jedi/Revenge of the Sith = 4 word title.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No longer is it like poetry, as it no longer rhymes.

Lucas must be fuming like a crazed Bantha right now!

Quote from: Ignatius_S on January 23, 2017, 05:31:17 PM
Hamill has discussed this in interviews and says that he didn't resent Ford's career in the slightest.

Well, that's me told.  I was only hazarding a guess though; wasn't claiming to know what goes on in Hamill's head or anything.  Probably very dark and disturbing thoughts but again, that's only a guess.

Replies From View

The title of Episode IX could have 5 words to make up for it.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Replies From View on January 25, 2017, 12:15:40 AM
The title of Episode IX could have 5 words to make up for it.

Episode IX: Retaliation of the Force.  Oranges

or

Episode IX: Words, Words, Words, Words, Words

Replies From View

Episode IX:  Empire Jedi Force Sith Hope

A pattern of syllables would have been smarter of them, rather than words.

I hate Star Wars anyway.  Somebody should try to come up with something good instead.

St_Eddie

I really don't like Luke's new beardy look.  Alec Guinness looked classy with his facial fuzz in the original trilogy.  Whereas Luke, in this new trilogy is more...

...Alec "I wish I could afford a" Guinness.

Quote from: Replies From View on January 25, 2017, 12:41:07 AMI hate Star Wars anyway.  Somebody should try to come up with something good instead.

Come on now, you can't go around expecting filmmakers to make something good.  That's just plain unreasonable!

Replies From View

There's an R2D2 there.  Just there in the photo look.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on January 25, 2017, 01:00:22 AM
I really don't like Luke's new beardy look.  Alec Guinness looked classy with his facial fuzz in the original trilogy.  Whereas Luke, in this new trilogy is more...

...Alec "I wish I could afford a" Guinness.

Come on now, you can't go around expecting filmmakers to make something good.  That's just plain unreasonable!

They practically filmed his scene on craggy island as well, any question Rey asks should be met with "that would be an ecumenical matter".

purlieu

Quote from: Replies From View on January 25, 2017, 10:04:04 AM
There's an R2D2 there.  Just there in the photo look.
Mate fuck off that's a Dalek.

Replies From View

They should call this film THE LAST DELI, I reckon.

BlodwynPig

The Lost Jed

Ward searches for his twin amongst a galaxy of monsters and lasers.

Replies From View

THE LEAST JELLY

In which Rod Hull (his name sounds like it actually fits the Star Wars universe) repeatedly enters competitions but continually wins the least jelly.

St_Eddie

EDIT: Bloody YouTube copyright bollocks.  I'll post again in a few minutes when I've uploaded to Google Drive.

purlieu

St_Eddie

Right, lets try that again...

Quote from: greenman on January 25, 2017, 11:09:13 AM
They practically filmed his scene on craggy island as well, any question Rey asks should be met with "that would be an ecumenical matter".

A few extremely subtle changes in the edit and you get The Kraken Awakens...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9l0_GoiZKB3QVR6MTNLSEtEMHc

I hope this film will put some of the most common criticisms to rest. I don't like TFA much and I don't want to leap to its defence. But I will have a stroke if I have to read one more comment about how Rey is a Mary Sue with inexplicable powers.

It's obvious that she HAD been trained in the force but was mind-wiped as a way of protecting her during the purge of the jedi academy. It was Kylo who wiped her memory. He murdered all of Luke's other students but couldn't bring himself to kill the little girl (we see that he still has attacks of conscience), so he gave her a force-lobotomy and left her on Jakku.

The film goes out of its way to show that Kylo can mind-rape people. Put the clues together and you get the obvious explanation.