Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:15:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Arrested Development Season 5 - Partially A Prequel???

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 24, 2017, 01:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Yeah, the completist in me finds this frustrating, because both versions now contain unique material, so there's no definitive version - though I definitely prefer the original cut.

olliebean

BTW, did anyone watch the chronological fan edit of S4 that was around at the time? How does the new official edit compare to that?

Harpo Speaks

I did enjoy the narration regarding a clearly older looking Michael Cera that was something along the lines of 'The time at sea had clearly aged the boy'. Can't recall that in the original cut.

I found the remix a much easier watch, mixing between the characters feels much better, even though there's quite a few storylines I don't particularly care for. The Fakeblock reveal was more effective in the original though.

phantom_power

It is definitely more like the first 3 seasons, but it is still odd how some characters come and go with their plots. I suppose it can't be helped given the issues with availability.

Watching these now makes me realise how much I don't remember of S4. All I could remember of it was the wall stuff, Ben Stiller (same) and Fakeblock. I completely forgot Maria Bamford was in it, and all that subplot

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Harpo Speaks on May 10, 2018, 01:32:01 PM
I did enjoy the narration regarding a clearly older looking Michael Cera that was something along the lines of 'The time at sea had clearly aged the boy'. Can't recall that in the original cut.

It was previously something along the lines of; "George Michael, worn by the harsh winds of the sea."

Namtab

Watching the new version now, as one of the camp who initially liked a lot of Season 4. Enjoying it, though the first couple of episodes were a bit messy. However, jesus, the India stuff's cringey isn't it? Haha, the rooms smell like animals etc.

The line about George Michael being aged by the sea did get the biggest laugh from me so far though, yeah. GOB's stuff is still fucking excellent too.

VelourSpirit

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/16/arrested-development-season-5-split/
Season 5 is being split now so only we're only getting 8 episodes in May. Think they should have just announced it like this to begin with.

olliebean

Also apparently Lindsay is only in 5 of the 16 episodes (whether they're amongst the first 8, I don't know). And we're lucky to get that much because Portia de Rossi has given up acting to sell expensive art prints to rich people.

DrGreggles

Quote from: TwinPeaks on May 16, 2018, 10:27:31 PM
http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/16/arrested-development-season-5-split/
Season 5 is being split now so only we're only getting 8 episodes in May. Think they should have just announced it like this to begin with.

Did they learn from last time where everyone* signed up for their free month, binge on AD s4, then didn't renew?

*me

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: olliebean on May 17, 2018, 08:20:21 AM
Also apparently Lindsay is only in 5 of the 16 episodes (whether they're amongst the first 8, I don't know). And we're lucky to get that much because Portia de Rossi has given up acting to sell expensive art prints to rich people.

Oh no how will the show survive without the least funny member of the cast

madhair60

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 17, 2018, 09:13:14 AM
Oh no how will the show survive without the least funny member of the cast

Do you have some sort of problem with women - gay women?

ajsmith2

Actually sounds more innovative in theory than your post implies it is. Affordable fine art for the non rich apparently.

https://news.artnet.com/market/portia-de-rossi-general-public-art-1285454

It could be it's just a pointless plaything for the less successful half of a super rich showbiz couple with a lot of time on her hands, I dunno, but it sounds like it could be a good thing if done right.

Or maybe she's doing extreme method acting to get back into the role of a daft rich lady persuing silly hobbies.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Seems especially unfortunate that Portia de Rossi won't be hugely involved, given that, considering the way the last season ended and from the first new trailer, Lindsay's election bid looked set to be a pretty central plot strand.

That said, I guess they could use that as the reason she's not around, 'Tobias' Carl Weathers' acting class'/'Buster's Canadian jaw surgery' style.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: madhair60 on May 17, 2018, 10:29:17 AM
Do you have some sort of problem with women - gay women?

Yes why don't they want me

olliebean

I can't help wondering if there's going to be much about the wall.

ajsmith2

Quote from: olliebean on May 17, 2018, 11:38:11 AM

Yeah: finished my rewatch of the S4 remix the other day and the bit with Lindsay leading the crowd to chant 'Build The Wall' at the end looks mental seen these days: just 5 years ago but it's a different world in terms of comedy. It really underlines how seismically the world has changed in the last half decade. I'm very curious as to how they'll deal with the wall stuff in the new series, although I'm not too hopeful they'll be able to come up with a decent comedic post-Trump take now that real life has overtaken crazy comedy concepts. So many other shows haven't managed it. We'll see though.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: olliebean on May 17, 2018, 11:38:11 AM

It was probably the driest element of the fourth season, so it would be a shame for it to dominate season five, too. I guess it needs addressing in some way, mind.

Maybe if it's just treated as a background issue, like the original series's handling of the Sudden Valley project?

olliebean

Quote from: ajsmith2 on May 17, 2018, 10:33:00 AM
Actually sounds more innovative in theory than your post implies it is. Affordable fine art for the non rich apparently.

https://news.artnet.com/market/portia-de-rossi-general-public-art-1285454

It could be it's just a pointless plaything for the less successful half of a super rich showbiz couple with a lot of time on her hands, I dunno, but it sounds like it could be a good thing if done right.

I didn't like the sound of it, tbh.

QuoteFor de Rossi, allowing artists to distribute high-quality replicas of their work directly to an audience is all about democratizing art and putting value in the hands of the creators. The company's motto is "Support artists, not art." (Though the company only offers artists 5% of the profits from each painting sold.)

Sounds like just another way for business to make money by exploiting creative people and offering exposure as a substitute for adequate payment.

Ornlu

samadriel

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

It's "Mommy, What Will I Look Like?" all over again.

BritishHobo

Just finished the remixed season. It definitely grew on me. I think it lost the quality of some jokes in translation, and there seems to be a hell of a lot more exposition than I remember, but I gotta admit it does flow a lot better with all the stories in sync, and breaking each other up. I love the original cut but I found Tobias especially to be UNBEARABLE, watching him uninterrupted for half an hour. This cut improves things a lot.

One loss I really missed was the lovely Invisible Girl song played over the moment where Tobias accidentally makes a breakthrough in Lucille's therapy while trying to convince her to play Sue Storm. This: https://youtu.be/aZaH2ni6Uhw?t=47m49s Gone completely. BOLLOCKS.

Hope season 5 is good. I really thought back when four came out that the momentum was going to propel them straight into season five and then a film. Bonkers to think it's been five years. I really hope splitting the season doesn't fuck up the pace.

saltysnacks

Did they ever comment on Gob having more hair in S4? I remember they mentioned his hairline in one of the earlier seasons.

olliebean

I actually thought the remix seemed way more disjointed and confusing than the original, and the sheer volume of recaps got bloody tedious by the end. I wondered if Hurwitz was hoping to sell it to a network for weekly airing (no idea if his Netflix contract would allow for that), because the amount of recapping seemed massively excessive for a series more likely to be binge-watched.

BritishHobo

It is insane, isn't it? Even after the 'previously on', Ron Howard's new narration still interrupts most of the dialogue for the first few scenes of each episode to tell you EVERYTHING that's just happened. I swear some events ended up getting recapped four or five times in the end.

ajsmith2

Quote from: olliebean on May 18, 2018, 01:21:24 AM
I actually thought the remix seemed way more disjointed and confusing than the original, and the sheer volume of recaps got bloody tedious by the end. I wondered if Hurwitz was hoping to sell it to a network for weekly airing (no idea if his Netflix contract would allow for that), because the amount of recapping seemed massively excessive for a series more likely to be binge-watched.

Hurwitz explicitly states this edit is for syndication (and money) in his note posted earlier in this thread.

With all the re-caps, it's definitely designed more for old school staggered viewing rather than bingeing.

neveragain

Previously on Cook'd and Bomb'd...
It's insane, isn't it?
BritishHobo expressed his feelings that it was insane...
Even after the 'previously on', Ron Howard's new narration still interrupts...
...that even after the 'previously on', Ron Howard's new narration still interrupted...
...most of the dialogue.
...most of the dialogue.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Portia de Rossi has gone to rehab a couple of times and has suffered from anorexia. It's also a euphemism to say that actresses, when they reach a certain age, don't have it easy. Roles dry up, they're suddenly supposed to play just the mother of a lead character, with little screen time, there's still much competition for a part like this, and they have to suffer through countless comments over their current looks, something male actors don't face as much. That's why it's actually quite understandable that de Rossi doesn't want anymore to phone her agent every week to ask what's in store and live through the frustrations and anxieties that go with an acting career, especially when you have substance or eating issues.

The art print stuff seems mostly a way to stay active rather than idle, not a way to make money, as Ellen DeGeneres earns enough for two (actually hundreds).

Bhazor

Another terrible trailer. But then that seems to be a running trend of the show. Remember the first tv ads for the original series? It made it look like the smuggest most irritating pile of shit ever with its quirky music and "Ohhh its outrageous" voiceover. I think the show's low popularity still owes a lot to that trailer.