Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:07:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Arrested Development Season 5 - Partially A Prequel???

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 24, 2017, 01:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

Hmm, I'm generally not a fan of series 4, but I'll give the remix a go, see if it's stronger than the original. I dunno though...

phantom_power

I have been meaning to have a rewatch of this so I will definitely have a go on the remixes

TheMonk

rm2kmaster

Quote from: TheMonk on May 02, 2018, 08:18:44 AM
And what of the problematic Mr Tambor?

Evil Mr Tambor, definitely a rapist because a member of the infallible transgender community said so Mr Tambor?

TheMonk

Quote from: rm2kmaster on May 02, 2018, 08:49:09 AM
Evil Mr Tambor, definitely a rapist because a member of the infallible transgender community said so Mr Tambor?
That's the fella.

Straight Faced Customer

This is good news! Every time I've loaded up the fourth series, I've found it physically impossible to stay seated and get past a few episodes. I try at least once a year and fail miserably, but know I'm missing out on a few gems of comedy.

I did skip ahead to the Ben Stiller ep, that was decent enough.

Blinder Data

Never watched all of Season 4 as it was boring, unfunny and just didn't feel like AD

I think I'll give the remix a whirl to see how it compares

I'm currently on a rewatch and it peaks and troughs more than I remember. I'm laughing less but maybe that's because I know all the jokes. The performances are still amazing and the plotting is second to none. Maybe Season 2 is when it really peaks.

Just finished season 1, the finale of which is one of the best

"Old Bear. He likes the honey. He never got a chance to see my bee business take off." 😭

Straight Faced Customer

That was the first episode I ever saw, and I fell in love

Blinder Data

"I didn't even know we were calling him Big Bear."

"We never had a chance to." 😭

It's just amazing. Sorry to just post AD quotes but Arnett's performance in this episode is peerless, especially the below:

QuoteI'm in charge now. I speak for this family. I mean... I could if you wanted me to. I'd rather not, obviously. Don't know what I'd say. Why do I have to be the one? I don't need this. Why does this have to become my problem? No, I'm out. Forget it. Find somebody else. I'm sick of it. I'm sick of doing everything for this family.

up_the_hampipe

ajsmith2

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 02, 2018, 12:07:15 PM
Never watched all of Season 4 as it was boring, unfunny and just didn't feel like AD

I think I'll give the remix a whirl to see how it compares

I'm currently on a rewatch and it peaks and troughs more than I remember. I'm laughing less but maybe that's because I know all the jokes. The performances are still amazing and the plotting is second to none. Maybe Season 2 is when it really peaks.

Just finished season 1, the finale of which is one of the best

"Old Bear. He likes the honey. He never got a chance to see my bee business take off." 😭
Quote from: Straight Faced Customer on May 02, 2018, 11:34:54 AM
This is good news! Every time I've loaded up the fourth series, I've found it physically impossible to stay seated and get past a few episodes. I try at least once a year and fail miserably, but know I'm missing out on a few gems of comedy.

I did skip ahead to the Ben Stiller ep, that was decent enough.

Series 4 is my favourite! It's intricate Cat's Cradle style plotting makes the first 3 series look like an episodic sitcom by comparison. I think a lot of people give up on it cos the early episodes seem so weak (and they are when taken on their own). but in the context of the whole series and on rewatches the hidden gags, foreshadowing and insane genius are revealed. I think they really pushed the boat out with 4 to try to go above and beyond. (this argument was prob made a lot when it originally aired but I thought it bore restating).

AsparagusTrevor

I admired season 4 for what they were trying to do with the limitations they were up against, but watching the whole series a second time really does show how much poorer season 4 is compared to the rest. The intertwined stories were clever but some of the stories were pretty shit, George Sr's especially.

bgmnts

4 was absolute turd but I really enjoyed the flashbacks in the first few seasons.

As long as Seth Rogen and, to a lesser extent, Kristen Wiig are nowhere bear this I am intrigued.

DrGreggles

S4 had a few slow episodes at the start but, once it hit its stride, I thought it was great.
The Gob and Buster episodes were particularly strong, as was the FB plotline reveal.

ajsmith2

I really don't get this 'series 4 was turd' thing at all. At very worst it should be considered a curates egg. (Not a dogs egg). I can only conclude that such an out of proportion negative reaction is derived from impossible to meet expectations fostered during its 7 year absence, and again those early episodes seeming underwhelming taken on their own. I wish more people would stick with 4, it's well worth it. I get how it's not like the early series, but only in the way that Pet Sounds isn't like the early Beach Boys classics.

JamesTC

"Is there a little girl here all by herself... Daddy needs to get his rocks off" makes all of Season 4 worth it alone.

VelourSpirit

Suddenly feeling very excited to rewatch AD. Only watched it once all the way through in 2013 just before season 4 came out... wow, I've had Netflix for five years! I was worried about rewatching 4 since I think a rewatch would have more value if I could actually remember all of the bits. I did like 4 but it's been way too long for me to appreciate all of foreshadowing. I remember something about Fakeblock, George Sr's wall, Maeby in disguise as a shaman and the very last scene. Exciting to have basically 39 new Arrested Development episodes (s5 is 17 episodes, I think?)

olliebean

I've been not getting around to a rewatch from the start for ages. Now I just hope I can get through S1-3 and the new S4 before S5 hits.

Bhazor

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 02, 2018, 06:18:20 PM
S4 had a few slow episodes at the start but, once it hit its stride, I thought it was great.
The Gob and Buster episodes were particularly strong, as was the FB plotline reveal.

The George Michael episode was the hardest I'd laughed in a long long time. Aching with laughter. Totally made up for the weak early episodes.

Season 3 on the other hand was rubbish. Oddly bleak as well.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on October 13, 2017, 12:42:09 PM
Seth Rogan was such a weird, shit choice for George Sr, since George Sr is nothing like Seth Rogan and Seth Rogan only does 'Seth Rogan'. At least Kristen Wiig acted like Lucille.

Aye, Kristen was awesome

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Terryfuckwit on May 02, 2018, 11:41:54 PM
Aye, Kristen was awesome

I wouldn't count myself a Wiig cheerleader by any means, but the way she captured Jessica Walter's mannerisms was uncanny, especially in contrast with Seth Rogen and whatever kind of attempt he was making to emulate Tambor - basically looking over his glasses.

Mini

I love season 4, the Rashomon narrative is incredibly rewarding.

Straight Faced Customer

Quote from: Bhazor on May 02, 2018, 11:34:07 PM
Season 3 on the other hand was rubbish. Oddly bleak as well.

Rewatched S3 again recently, and it's a hoot! Blown away all over again how far they pushed it with the Rita storyline, and a slowly moulting Tobias. S4 is the bleak one for me...

Bhazor

Exactly the reasoned response I would expect from a twat.

What kills season 3 for me was how far it went abandoning any empathy the character's had and tossing out any cohesive writing in favour of "ooooh fourth wall ooh callback ooohhhhh". The worst example being Save our Bluths which is so cackhandedly done and so in your face subversive that it actively pisses me off.

Terryfuckwit

Quote from: Bhazor on May 03, 2018, 06:10:02 PM
Exactly the reasoned response I would expect from a twat.

What kills season 3 for me was how far it went abandoning any empathy the character's had and tossing out any cohesive writing in favour of "ooooh fourth wall ooh callback ooohhhhh". The worst example being Save our Bluths which is so cackhandedly done and so in your face subversive that it actively pisses me off.

jesus

BritishHobo

Intrigued by this. I LOVE season 4 and I think its structure makes it so much funnier and cleverer than people give it credit for. FakeBlock, the 'favours' conversation between Michael and George Sr that stretches across half the season, Michael unexpectedly bringing up the roommate vote in Maebe's episode, they're some of my absolute favourite moments of the show. It's a brilliant and hugely rewarding season. So on one hand I'm sad as I feel in some way it's a bit of a capitulation to re-edit it. At the same time, a linear structure is going to change the season significantly. Everything about it is going to be different - the pace, how the jokes fundamentally work, how everything is revealed to you. I'm intrigued to see that.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 03, 2018, 08:49:12 PM
Intrigued by this. I LOVE season 4 and I think its structure makes it so much funnier and cleverer than people give it credit for. FakeBlock, the 'favours' conversation between Michael and George Sr that stretches across half the season, Michael unexpectedly bringing up the roommate vote in Maebe's episode, they're some of my absolute favourite moments of the show. It's a brilliant and hugely rewarding season. So on one hand I'm sad as I feel in some way it's a bit of a capitulation to re-edit it. At the same time, a linear structure is going to change the season significantly. Everything about it is going to be different - the pace, how the jokes fundamentally work, how everything is revealed to you. I'm intrigued to see that.

Absolutely - so much about the way the season spanning jokes were gradually teased out, was entirely down to the specific order that the information was presented, as well as subtle, clever use of language to mislead before the eventual revelations. A re-edit will completely alter things and while some things will almost certainly be lost, new jokes might present themselves.

As a fan, it'll be interesting to see something like this on such a scale - Hurwitz has prior form, with some editing tweaks since the initial launch of Lady Dynamite.