Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:16:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Arrested Development Season 5 - Partially A Prequel???

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 24, 2017, 01:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ant Farm Keyboard

We shouldn't forget that in spite of the Jeffrey Tambor situation the most serious issue that the cast had identified during production of season 5 was that Hurwitz was behaving erratically, delivering scripts late and adding last minute rewrites, up to the point they had to stage an intervention.

The first half of the season showed some effort at recapturing the magic of the early years but it didn't manage to translate into laughs or memorable moments. I didn't feel any drive or urgency to the whole thing. Sure, there was a couple of good jokes, and some convoluted situations (the whole sequence where various cars trail each other), but I had to force myself to complete it.
Given the descriptions of the back half, I have the feeling that Hurwitz ultimately crashed and burned, unable to elevate the plot lines he had come up with during production. Most of this stuff may be the post-intervention material where he had to stop rewriting the scripts.

Portia had given up acting before season 5 started, and Hurwitz had to convince her to briefly return for a few scenes that were obviously shot in a row in front of a green screen. She had supposedly completed her part in the first half, maybe she'll have a cameo in the second half.

Small Man Big Horse

I didn't know about the Hurwitz stuff, it's very worrying, especially as the ninth episode is really patchy. There's still the odd decent joke but there's a lot of clunkers and I found myself cringing a good few times, the Tobias being gay / Oscar and Buster being chained up together stuff was really poor, and I just hope the rest of the season is an improvement.

phantom_power

I think the term "intervention" is a bit of an exaggeration. I think they just had a word with him because he kept changing the scripts and not being around on set to give them any context.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/mitch-hurwitz-tambor-walter-incident-arrested-development-1202404576/

Ant Farm Keyboard

I was about to post the same link with a few quotes

QuoteI started off really doing things the way I'd always done them, which meant last minute scripts and changes, et cetera. But for so many reasons—many to do with the fact that guest cast availability, and even some main cast availability, changed—I was really playing catchup in our storytelling, and as a result I just wasn't on stage with them the way I usually am. They were getting script changes without context—scenes that they didn't have time to prep for. It was hard for them. And no doubt even more aggravating for them than they let on when they shared that with me.

It was actually an amazing kind of intervention they had for me at one point! And they did the right thing. This wasn't like the old show, in that it wasn't a show where characters had four lines per scene and we were just in service of the complexity of the plot we're jamming into a 20-minute episode. These were longer, more complex scenes and they needed to have their process given as much importance as mine.

That's what it really was. I was putting my process ahead of theirs, selfishly, and feeling like I had the right to because I'm under the gun and trying so hard, and they were saying, "No, we want to help, we want to try hard." I'm fortunate to be with these people who are really, really good and whose process matters. It matters to me. It does matter to me. But I didn't see how I was interfering with it.

Did you figure it out?

No, was I supposed to?

No, of course. Because they were very loving about it. I benefitted from that immensely. But it was embarrassing to realize that, having done this for as long as I have, I still have a lot to learn. It was embarrassing but valuable. I was making my own job harder too. That's what Jason said to me. He said, "Leave it to us. We can take the ball a little further. We're good. You don't have to do what you did in the first year." He was absolutely right. It was like, "Take the help." I had been underwater and it was like, "Yeah, why don't I take the help?" Taking help is hard.

My guess about the Tambor incident on set is that Tambor was angry about the late scripts and the last minute changes, and he vented it out on Jessica Walter. There hadn't been any sign until that point that weren't comfortable working together. As Hurwitz wasn't there, he lashed it out against the first person he saw. It could have been an assistant, it turned out to be the co-star he hard worked with during 15 years. And that may be the reason why Bateman and the rest of the (male) cast were so eager to minimize the situation during the NY Times interview, as they regarded it as part of a bigger problem, overlooking how much it had rightfully affected Walter.

JamesTC

Day off work so I've been able to watch the whole thing this afternoon.

Just like Season 5A it starts a bit slow with infodumps and it is all too overly complicated with storylines and ideas. Just like Season 5A it all comes together in the second half of the run and reaches close to classic Arrested Development.

The last three episodes really are brilliant. Had me howling with laughter. A few things that had me rolling my eyes in earlier episodes (the "prequel" element mentioned in the title of the thread) all come together later to make perfect sense within the context of the show.

A really satisfying ending to the season and likely the series.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: JamesTC on March 15, 2019, 05:13:30 PM
Day off work so I've been able to watch the whole thing this afternoon.

Just like Season 5A it starts a bit slow with infodumps and it is all too overly complicated with storylines and ideas. Just like Season 5A it all comes together in the second half of the run and reaches close to classic Arrested Development.

The last three episodes really are brilliant. Had me howling with laughter. A few things that had me rolling my eyes in earlier episodes (the "prequel" element mentioned in the title of the thread) all come together later to make perfect sense within the context of the show.

A really satisfying ending to the season and likely the series.

That's good to hear, and has made me a little more optimistic, as has the fact that the tenth episode was better than the ninth. There were still some minor issues but it made me laugh a lot more, and it wasn't dragged down by the rubbish George Snr. and Lucille storyline.

BritishHobo

I'm glad to hear it gets better, but I'm halfway through episode 9 and really really struggling to find the energy to keep going. The long gaps have just made the whole thing feel so strange and adrift from the rest of the show.

neveragain

Gotta say - perfect ending. If you're having trouble, just watch the last two or three. All the court stuff is wonderful. Quite a few hearty chuckles. Only noticed one bit of dodgy green-screen too (on James Lipton, funnily enough).

Presume teeth.

BritishHobo

I just can't get the momentum on it. It feels totally fucked by the huge wait after season four, and the inexplicable gap midway through this season. It feels really weird hearing them all talk about FakeBlock and building the wall, that all feels like shit from ages ago.

Small Man Big Horse

Despite liking episode 10 a lot more than the 9th, episodes 11 and 12 were a real slog and the latter only got funny at the end. It's way too plot heavy and rather than just not working the jokes aren't really there. If it wasn't for people saying how good the last two or three were I'm not sure I'd even bother with the rest of it, and I've generally quite liked the Netflix era, or parts of it at least.

JamesTC

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 17, 2019, 12:43:01 PM
Despite liking episode 10 a lot more than the 9th, episodes 11 and 12 were a real slog and the latter only got funny at the end. It's way too plot heavy and rather than just not working the jokes aren't really there. If it wasn't for people saying how good the last two or three were I'm not sure I'd even bother with the rest of it, and I've generally quite liked the Netflix era, or parts of it at least.

Once the Guilty Guys arrive, you won't look back.

I feel like the issue with this season is very similar to Season 4. Certain characters in Season 4 had plot heavy storylines whereas others had joke heavy storylines. So it was brilliant getting to a Gob, Tobias or Buster episode but you'd roll your eyes at a George Snr episode.

One strange thing that I did notice about Season 5 with regards to George Snr. Jeffrey Tambor is probably in this season more than any other of the actors yet both George Snr and Oscar have barely any influence to the plot.

olliebean

I'm finding it very distracting how much of the dialogue is overdubbed. (Although it's a mild diversion spotting the various ways - other than just having them filmed from behind - that they've found to hide the actors' mouths.) Were the previous seasons like this, and I just haven't noticed until now? It feels like most of the script was rewritten after it had been filmed.

NoSleep

Odd stuff happening like that since season 4. Clearly a lot of the time all the people in a single scene have not been there together, even ones where you can see everybody's faces.

Harpo Speaks

I feel like I've definitely spotted some ADR in previous seasons, but there are a lot of really noticeable instances in these last two seasons. The score is also feels really intrusive in a way that it didn't in the first three seasons, seems like they used to be more confident with silence as a backdrop for some of the dialogue exchanges/awkward moments.

Not sure how I feel about the final revelation of this season on reflection. My initial reaction though was that I really didn't care for it.

Additional nitpick -I'm also getting sick of the repetition of that GOB joke where he goes 'So should...shhh...should...shhh etc' for an eternity.

up_the_hampipe

Fucks sake what have they done to this show?! Just leave things alone. The more of this they make, the more I feel like FOX was just trying to do them a favour when they cancelled it.

olliebean

Quote from: NoSleep on March 17, 2019, 02:55:04 PM
Odd stuff happening like that since season 4. Clearly a lot of the time all the people in a single scene have not been there together, even ones where you can see everybody's faces.

Yes, and it feels like when they have got people together they've maybe filmed a bunch of extra stuff while they've got them there, on the offchance Hurwitz would think of a scene later that the footage could be ADR'd and used for.

pancreas

There are more episodes?? Oh god. I'm just going to pretend none of this is happening.

ToneLa

Look lads be honest:

I only got roond to this in the past 18 months.

Caned each series in increasing love til I got to series 4, and it's been on Netflix so it's that weird, angular "edited loads of character scenes in because I'VE MADE A HUGE MISTAKE" feel of the series 4 recut and the original sounds even worse

Any reason to bother carrying on the noo? Just think: would you just erase this shite at the end of season 3? That's where I'm at.

VelourSpirit

People say the season 4 recut is better. I really doubt it but I'm not watching it so I'll never know. I really did appreciate season 4 in retrospect, it's so much better than 5 which I'm not at all motivated to finish. Crazy that s4 was six years ago now.

Small Man Big Horse

I've finished it now and thought it was pretty awful. The final three episodes do have their moments but overall it was a real drag (I sighed loudly when I saw that the final episode was double length) and though there's the odd joke which works most of it made me wish it had never been made. I really hope that's it now, because I'm a masochist I'd probably watch a sixth season but I'd be amazed if it were any good as this was so tedious in places. They massively underused Alia Shawkat, made Tobias in to a shockingly rubbish character, until the court scenes Dusty is just irritating, and it was painfully plot heavy with way too many recaps, which were quite insulting as to how much they repeated what had taken place just a couple of episodes ago. When I rewatch the show I think I'm going to stop at the end of season 3 as the Netflix era has massively disappointed me and it's going to be easier just to pretend it doesn't exist.

NoSleep

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 18, 2019, 04:48:16 PM
I've finished it now and thought it was pretty awful. The final three episodes do have their moments but overall it was a real drag (I sighed loudly when I saw that the final episode was double length) and though there's the odd joke which works most of it made me wish it had never been made. I really hope that's it now, because I'm a masochist I'd probably watch a sixth season but I'd be amazed if it were any good as this was so tedious in places. They massively underused Alia Shawkat, made Tobias in to a shockingly rubbish character, until the court scenes Dusty is just irritating, and it was painfully plot heavy with way too many recaps, which were quite insulting as to how much they repeated what had taken place just a couple of episodes ago. When I rewatch the show I think I'm going to stop at the end of season 3 as the Netflix era has massively disappointed me and it's going to be easier just to pretend it doesn't exist.

It was just a messy bunch of closure. Disappointing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: ajsmith2 on March 18, 2019, 05:07:17 PM
The even numbered seasons are the best ones.

That'd suggest season 4 was one of the best, whereas for me it goes 2, 1, 3, 4, 5.

Quote from: NoSleep on March 18, 2019, 05:26:57 PM
It was just a messy bunch of closure. Disappointing.

Yeah, way too much plot and not enough jokes by far, and the plotting itself was often poor.

JamesTC

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 18, 2019, 06:33:57 PM
That'd suggest season 4 was one of the best, whereas for me it goes 2, 1, 3, 4, 5.

I'd agree with that ranking but I'd put Season 4 very close to Season 3. That isn't to discredit Season 3, I just think quite highly of Season 4 (the original version rather than the remix).

Tombola

Three episodes in. The following questions have crossed my mind watching each one:

• Who's building a wall and why?
  • What do the Chinese have to do with it?
  • Is Lucille 2 dead and does anyone care?
  • How long has it been since season 4?
  • How long has it been since season 3?
  • What's Michael's job?
  • Who lives in the model home?
  • Where does anyone live?
  • What is happening?

neveragain

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: neveragain on March 20, 2019, 02:28:53 PM
Ron Howard answers most of those questions.

It's hard to pay attention when he talks so much to cover all the convoluted stories and there's awfully mixed music playing over him.

JamesTC

Off the top of my head so might not be 100% accurate:

Quote from: Tombola on March 19, 2019, 07:44:09 PM
The following questions have crossed my mind watching each one:

• Who's building a wall and why?
  • What do the Chinese have to do with it?
  • How long has it been since season 4?
  • How long has it been since season 3?
  • What's Michael's job?
  • Who lives in the model home?

The wall is being built by the Bluth Company. It is being built because of a campaign to build it which gained traction on Cinco De Cuatro after Lindsay campaigned for it.

The Chinese are funding the wall. George Snr got the funding from them in order to buy the land which was then stolen by the Mexican Romneys.

This season takes place straight after Season 4. It follows on from George Michael punching Michael. Season 4 takes place straight after Season 3.

Michael is co-chairman of the Bluth Company.

Nobody lives in the model home in Season 5 aside from the attic. Buster and Tobias both stayed in the attic at certain points in Season 5. The surrounding houses were also filled with convicted sex offenders in Season 4.

Quote from: Tombola on March 19, 2019, 07:44:09 PM
  • Is Lucille 2 dead and does anyone care?

Spoilers: Yes she is dead. And nobody seems that bothered when they find the body. Particularly the murderer.

phantom_power

For me the over-abundance of plot and trying to shoehorn explanations left right and centre is part of the humour. This isn't peak AD by any stretch of the imagination but it is funny and watchable

steveh

I went into the second half with no expectations and ended up quite enjoying it. Yes there's annoyances and the ending is a bit "is that it?" but there's enough laughs to make up for the deficiencies.

Having to watch this in stereo this time the sound mix is rather cluttered in places, with several places with Ron Howard and scene actors talking over each other.