Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:10:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Arrested Development Season 5 - Partially A Prequel???

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 24, 2017, 01:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Straight Faced Customer

Quote from: Bhazor on May 03, 2018, 06:10:02 PM
Exactly the reasoned response I would expect from a twat.

Well, excuuuuuse me!

(To quote my second favourite character and fellow twat)

BritishHobo

This is up now, and it looks to have replaced the original seazon rather than being an addition as I expected. Not sure I like that.

McChesney Duntz

I'm not sure if the UK is the same (or even if you're posting from the UK, for that matter - hey. BritishHobo could be ironic), but the original Series 4 is still there on US Netflix, semi-hidden under "Trailers and More."

Blinder Data

Quote from: BritishHobo on May 04, 2018, 06:08:55 AM
This is up now, and it looks to have replaced the original seazon rather than being an addition as I expected. Not sure I like that.

Oooooh - so I won't get the chance to view the original?

Can somebody watch both versions and tell me which one is better?

Just rewatching Season Two, I think this is when it becomes one of the best comedies ever. All the brilliant secondary characters turn up (Ice, Ann, Gene, etc.) and it gets really bonkers. "Amigos" one of the best eps? Love it all

Sin Agog

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on May 04, 2018, 06:30:22 AM
I'm not sure if the UK is the same (or even if you're posting from the UK, for that matter - hey. BritishHobo could be ironic), but the original Series 4 is still there on US Netflix, semi-hidden under "Trailers and More."

It is the same here as well (not just politically).  Good lookin' out!  Did you accidentally discover that yourself, or did you read a tip somewhere?  No way I'd have thought to look in that section.  (I'm also someone who found the Rashomon narrative pretty exciting, if a bit drier than previous seasons 'cause it had less big characters playing off one another).

DrGreggles

Quote from: Blinder Data on May 04, 2018, 02:21:23 PM
Oooooh - so I won't get the chance to view the original?

Can somebody watch both versions and tell me which one is better?

Just rewatching Season Two, I think this is when it becomes one of the best comedies ever. All the brilliant secondary characters turn up (Ice, Ann, Gene, etc.) and it gets really bonkers. "Amigos" one of the best eps? Love it all

I think AD is, in all probability, the greatest sitcom of all time 

Nowhere Man

I can't believe they redid the entire season. I watched the 1st episode of the remix and it literally is like a brand new Season all of its own. Don't think any TV show has ever had an entire series revamped quite like that. Stylistically even with a few clunky edits its feels so much more like what I LOVED about 1-3 (and I didn't even mind the original S4 terribly)

imitationleather

I watched the first two episodes of the remix and thought it was utterly superb, just so much more enjoyable in every way than the original effort at season four. However by episode three storylines that are just boring and shit began to appear and so I decided to have a break rather than go on a pwopa binge. I dunno how they're going to able to polish the turd that some of the plotlines in s4 were, even if this time around it won't involve spending twenty minutes blocks of watching following a single character where what's happening to them is both extremely dull and not funny at all. Some of it just needs completely removing from the season, not remixing.

up_the_hampipe

My problem with season 4 is the Bluth's being separated. The ensemble of characters was vital to what made the show so good in the original run, so having episodes about a certain not-so-interesting character could be quite tough to get through. The writing was still excellent and it tied together well, but it's clear they were working around limitations. This remix and the upcoming fifth season will hopefully fix that.

JamesTC

Quote from: imitationleather on May 05, 2018, 01:31:44 PM
I watched the first two episodes of the remix and thought it was utterly superb, just so much more enjoyable in every way than the original effort at season four. However by episode three storylines that are just boring and shit began to appear and so I decided to have a break rather than go on a pwopa binge. I dunno how they're going to able to polish the turd that some of the plotlines in s4 were, even if this time around it won't involve spending twenty minutes blocks of watching following a single character where what's happening to them is both extremely dull and not funny at all. Some of it just needs completely removing from the season, not remixing.

I thought the first two episodes were a bit clunky actually. Big info dumps with too much narration and switching back and forth. By the third episode I thought it had settled down to a normal pace akin to the earlier seasons.

Of course the original suffered with the first two episodes too. But I think that was down to a poor choice of the first two to show. Though I guess you can't open with a Gob-centric or Tobias-centric episode.

olliebean

I'm sure I read somewhere that Mitch Hurwitz's original plan was to just release a block of episodes with no prescribed order to watch them in, without realising that Netflix would impose a specific order, so the order they were put in was more of an afterthought and not baked in from the outset. If I feel inspired to watch them again after seeing the remix, perhaps I'll do what was intended and decide my own viewing order as I go.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: olliebean on May 05, 2018, 09:35:25 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that Mitch Hurwitz's original plan was to just release a block of episodes with no prescribed order to watch them in, without realising that Netflix would impose a specific order, so the order they were put in was more of an afterthought and not baked in from the outset. If I feel inspired to watch them again after seeing the remix, perhaps I'll do what was intended and decide my own viewing order as I go.

I believe that was Hurwitz original intention, but as the project unfurled, it became clear that a designated episode order was necessary to make sense of the complex story.

imitationleather

I'm now eight episodes in to the remix and while it's rattling along at a nice pace and I'm enjoying it a lot more than I remember the original s4 (it's far less boring for long stretches, for a start), there are still issues. For example, George-Michael and Maeby are basically not in it at all until about episode six, which is really noticeable, and the Fakeblock and Michael living on the campus storylines just come out of nowhere with everything else happening at that point being dropped. Why it's suddenly moved to a college setting isn't really explained very well, so if you've not seen the original I can imagine it being extremely confusing. They also start to make a point in the narration of the season being set over the course of several years, which I don't think was really set out too well, if indeed at all, at the beginning. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention. Rewatching it I realised I'd forgotten a lot of this season, I just knew there was stuff in it I really didn't like. For instance, the George Snr. in the desert bits are really no good and it's a pretty much 100% laugh-free experience, but at least there's not entire episodes dedicated to just that now.

I guess this is all part of the problem of drastically re-editing a show that's several years old. It can come across as being tonally all over the place, and with plots disappearing and reappearing very suddenly. Also it being so amazingly continuity-heavy means it's difficult to really identify individual episodes, as there's almost zero self-contained plot whatsoever. It's fine when you're watching several episodes in one go, but it makes actually remembering individual episodes and trying to discuss them almost impossible.

It has made me look forward to s5, though. Because I think that still has the potential be amazing now they've apparently realised what didn't work about s4 and have taken a stab at making it right.

VelourSpirit

Aghh I might just rewatch the original season 4 then since that just sounds even more unfocused. Can always see the remix on my next big rewatch in a few years.

DrGreggles

The remix is good, but I'd say it would be worth watching the original cut a couple of times before that. Purely because I think the pay offs are greater that way.

Oh, and the fact that this CAN be remixed is testament to the astonishing writing and plotting.

steveh

I assume this was also done so Fox can put it into syndication on conventional TV channels as every episode is now a standard 22 minutes.

Despite some occasional jarring jumps like imitationleather mentioned so far I've enjoyed this more than I remember enjoying the original. There are still too many jokes that got turned into extended pieces they didn't really merit though.

Ornlu

Stair car spotted in NYC teases a possible 29th May release date for S5: https://imgur.com/BNDPHmD

ieXush2i

Quote from: rm2kmaster on May 02, 2018, 08:49:09 AM
Evil Mr Tambor, definitely a rapist because a member of the infallible transgender community said so Mr Tambor?

Quote from: rm2kmaster on March 09, 2018, 09:28:18 AM
Because trans women aren't real women you idiot.

Not in the way that, y'know, actual women are.

Aye we see you

VelourSpirit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXg2_yExgVY
Season 5 trailer here. Season's only three weeks away so it might be a good idea to just leave it. The series will probably be funnier than the trailer was anyway.

popcorn

BritishHobo

olliebean

I think it's largely aimed at reassuring people who didn't like season 4 (the original cut) that it won't be like season 4 (the original cut).

up_the_hampipe

"I just blue myself for the first time in five years"

So this season will just be fan service then, right?

Bhazor

selectivememory

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 07, 2018, 08:48:52 PM
"I just blue myself for the first time in five years"

So this season will just be fan service then, right?

I do remember that line though; I think it was from the fourth season. Quite a few old clips in there from the earlier seasons as well.

No idea what to expect though. As others have said, that's a bizarre trailer.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: selectivememory on May 07, 2018, 09:04:10 PM
I do remember that line though; I think it was from the fourth season. Quite a few old clips in there from the earlier seasons as well.

No idea what to expect though. As others have said, that's a bizarre trailer.

Oh I didn't know that was from the previous season. Weird mix of clips in there.

JamesTC

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on May 07, 2018, 09:06:02 PM
Oh I didn't know that was from the previous season. Weird mix of clips in there.
0:20 to 0:40 is all old material. Everything else is new.

BritishHobo

That was definitely the shittest joke in season four. Literally just repeating it

Fuck I hate Tobias

olliebean

"I blue myself" was already the shittest joke way back in season one, when it first appeared.

billyandthecloneasaurus

season 4 was wank

and i blue myself was fine because it was clearly a knowingly shit joke