Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:17:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why don't Americans have proper names?

Started by Sam, January 27, 2017, 12:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fat_abbott

I used to know someone in Canada called Gay Bois, which isn't funny when you realise she is of French heritage and Bois = Wood... Oh hang on.

Keebleman

Sporcle.com has dozens of quizzes based around baby names.  Most Popular Boys' Names Beginning With K in the US by Decade Since 1880, that sort of thing.  There is a fairly regular shifting in results over the years, names like Dorothy and Alfred fading away, or Harry sinking and rising again, but come the 21st century and everything goes ape.  Names that have never been seen before - Jaxon, Kaydon, Taylor (for girls) - suddenly fill the top ten no matter what the criteria.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 20, 2020, 10:59:09 AM
When I was a lad we used to holiday in France quite a lot (we have family and friends there), and it always confused me why French drivers were so bad at roundabouts, considering they were VERY early designers/adopters.  But then, as I got older, I realised they knew exactly how roundabouts worked, they just didn't give a fuck.
French roundabouts are famously confusing because some of them give priority to vehicles on the roundabout (the British system, except we drive on the other side of the road), and others give priority to vehicles joining the roundabout (priorité à droite). This means that you always have to look out for who has the right of way and is about to smash into the side of you. France also has the stupid 4-way stop junctions like in the US, which only really work if you suspect the other drivers may be armed.

Bazooka

Quote from: Keebleman on October 20, 2020, 03:22:15 PM
Sporcle.com has dozens of quizzes based around baby names.  Most Popular Boys' Names Beginning With K in the US by Decade Since 1880, that sort of thing.  There is a fairly regular shifting in results over the years, names like Dorothy and Alfred fading away, or Harry sinking and rising again, but come the 21st century and everything goes ape.  Names that have never been seen before - Jaxon, Kaydon, Taylor (for girls) - suddenly fill the top ten no matter what the criteria.

Hearing my sister and my nephews talk about the kids in their class, these American names are springing up, they have friends called Braylon, Tucker, Landon, all at a Church of England school, absolute disgrace.

flotemysost

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on October 10, 2020, 09:11:31 AM
Ha! Bell End, the place, is only about 30 mins away from me and there's a road called Bell End a similar distance away in a different location. Unfortunately, driving to neither of these places requires me to drive down Hardon Road, which is only five minutes away. I really am blessed.

There's also a Bellenden Road in Peckham, which feels like a Hyacinth Bucket version of the above.

Re: stupid American names, I met a guy from Alabama last year called Strock. Not short for anything. That's yer lot.

It reminds me (unfairly) of swimming and sexual assault star Brock Turner, although to be fair at least Brock is an old English word for badger. Just Googled 'strock' and it seems to have a more modern etymology.

Ferris

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on October 20, 2020, 02:07:16 AM
I'm perplexed by the roundabout. Do Americans know how they even work?

It's not even a corner. A more apt name would be Wanker's Circle, or Wanker's Ring. Or Circle Wank.

There are two near me and they are fucking death traps. People either cautiously advance further and further until they've edged precisely into two lanes of oncoming traffic, or accelerate at point of entry full LEROY JENKINS style into opposing vehicles. Neither is very good.

Bazooka

Quote from: flotemysost on October 21, 2020, 11:41:32 PM
There's also a Bellenden Road in Peckham, which feels like a Hyacinth Bucket version of the above.

Re: stupid American names, I met a guy from Alabama last year called Strock. Not short for anything. That's yer lot.

It reminds me (unfairly) of swimming and sexual assault star Brock Turner, although to be fair at least Brock is an old English word for badger. Just Googled 'strock' and it seems to have a more modern etymology.

STROCK: The Galactic Barbarian

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on October 21, 2020, 04:07:07 PM
French roundabouts are famously confusing because some of them give priority to vehicles on the roundabout (the British system, except we drive on the other side of the road), and others give priority to vehicles joining the roundabout (priorité à droite). This means that you always have to look out for who has the right of way and is about to smash into the side of you. France also has the stupid 4-way stop junctions like in the US, which only really work if you suspect the other drivers may be armed.

That seems so pointlessly obtuse. The only thing they'd have to do, as far as I can think of, to adapt a roundabout to the far more efficient "priority to people on the actual roundabout" system would be to take down the sign that says "priorite a droite". I can't think of any other road infrastructure you'd need to alter, everything would just work. You could even do it on the famous Arc de Triomphe one. Actually, the Arc de Triomphe one I'd probably just scrap the entire thing and start again.

Attila

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on October 20, 2020, 10:59:09 AM

I still, vividly, remember my dad trying to negotiate the Arc de Triomphe in our little brown Talbot Sunrise.  A terrifying experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAgX6qlJEMc

This was me, last Tuesday, stuck in that enormous roundabout just outside of Portsmouth (trying to go from the M27 to the A2030). I had to go around it a couple of times because the first time, I was in the incorrect lane, and then, like Clark, I just could NOT get over into the lane I needed to be in.

I swear all of the 'helpful' lane lines in that roundabout were laid down by someone drunkenly dumping their paint supply behind them as they randomly swivelled around it.

And yes, 'Hey Kids, Big Ben! Parliament!' came into play.

Ornlu

I'm sure people have seen this, and it's not real, but no-one had posted it:

Shit Good Nose

Ha, that's great.  Reminds me of Stew's Panini stickers in the FoF book.

JesusAndYourBush

There's a Japanese tv show called Jichael Mackson.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Ornlu on October 23, 2020, 09:25:49 PM

Funny, although real life baseball player names are just as ridiculous

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/924869-25-funniest-names-in-baseball-history (it's American so Randy Johnson/Randy Wolf sadly aren't included)

flotemysost

Absolutely lost it at Todd Bonzalez

petril

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"Call now!"
Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on October 24, 2020, 11:37:47 AM
Funny, although real life baseball player names are just as ridiculous.

In an odd coincidence, while searching for the photo above, I found this:

flotemysost

"Todd" sounds to me like a classic blue-collar all-American name, while the surname could be Hispanic but that shift of the first letter just tips it over into ridiculous territory. Also sounds very much like he could be a contender in poo's "vs.".

Inspector Norse

There are one or two that just could be real names.  I googled and found a Scott Bourque.

Inspector Norse

petril

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: flotemysost on October 21, 2020, 11:41:32 PM

The best thing about Bellenden Road in Peckham is that there's a pub on it called the Prince Albert.

Goldentony

it is real! it's from Fighting Baseball for the SNES, that's just a small few of the mad names, the others are covered here, helpfully -

Mad Names In A Google Doc

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mister Six

Just found out that Oprah Winfrey's partner's name is Stedman Graham.

Oprah Winfrey and Stedman Graham. Like names generated by a bored Japanese AI.

Dex Sawash

QuoteBOSTON (CBS) – Boston Police say they've arrested the man who set a ballot box on fire over the weekend. Worldy Armand, 39, of Boston, was arraigned in municipal court Monday afternoon.     

Ornlu

Quote from: Goldentony on October 25, 2020, 05:09:14 PM
it is real! it's from Fighting Baseball for the SNES, that's just a small few of the mad names, the others are covered here, helpfully -

Mad Names In A Google Doc

Oh no, yeah - I just meant they're not real existing people.

George White

Quote from: Mister Six on October 26, 2020, 09:17:16 PM
Just found out that Oprah Winfrey's partner's name is Stedman Graham.

Oprah Winfrey and Stedman Graham. Like names generated by a bored Japanese AI.

It's Supernatural/Hubcap/candi's Dick Mays. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0563065/?ref_=tt_ov_dr
Anyone remember It's Supernatural from obscure satellite TV?

All Surrogate

The Majestic 12 have some
Spoiler alert
redacted
[close]
names:

• Lloyd Berkner
  • Detlev Bronk
  • Vannevar Bush
  • James Forrestal
  • Gordon Gray
  • Roscoe H. Hillenkoetter