Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 06:27:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why don't Americans have proper names?

Started by Sam, January 27, 2017, 12:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteFlorida Department of Law enforcement commissioner Rick Swearingen

These Americans are at it again

beanheadmcginty

Menu

pcsjwgm

Antony Blinken isn't a very funny name, but I like that A. Blinken sounds like Abe Lincoln.

German, not American but fucking hell, what a name to live up to! For his sake, I really hope he's packing.

jobotic

Quote from: Dogbeard on November 28, 2020, 02:14:11 AM
There's a poll up in one of the FB dads' groups. This fella and his missus are torn, and who wouldn't be between "Braelyn Grace" and "Brynlee Marie".

Second commenter sagely points out the "leigh" line of approach, as per his daughters Haileigh and Annaleigh. Food for thought.

Anally. Is that the gag?

Dex Sawash

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on December 09, 2020, 10:23:26 AM
German, not American but fucking hell, what a name to live up to! For his sake, I really hope he's packing.

Similarly

If they entered into a civil partnership or got married, I wonder if they'd combine their surnames. Probably wouldn't happen anyway.

touchingcloth

They call The Great British Bake Off, The Great British Baking Show.

Ornlu

Probably Americans can't understand something that isn't someone's property. You can't own a name, and you didn't pay for it, so it can't be important. You can be a Wall Mart trolley man or a Nurse or some other deadbeat and still have a premium name like Noah or Scarlett.

But that's someone else's name, they've stolen it.

There's minimum wage earners going around calling themselves Maddison or Riley when they should be called Thunk or Clum or Glommo. It's just not American.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on December 09, 2020, 10:23:26 AM

"Dick" is German for "thick" (and "hugen" is "huge"). So he's actually "Huge! Thick!"

studpuppet

Sorry if got mentioned further back in the thread but I've just discovered that the golfer Jack Nicklaus has a grandson-in-law called Todger Strunk.

https://twitter.com/jacknicklaus/status/1338628170694750214?s=19

idunnosomename

So has the whole internet it seems. But even Americans think it's a bit rum.

Dex Sawash

One for the mormon name-wrong sub thread.
Just stumbled on University of Virginia football coach Bronco Mendenhall's wiki page. His sons are Raeder, Breaker, and Cutter

George White

The film Doug is a Goddamm Millionaire featuring CBS diversity showcase star G- Su Paek, Quentin Noris (who works with a Gery Gibson - not the Norn Iron comic/US TV actor), Frightfest's Brian Villalobos and Bruce Patzke and Josh Gholson   

Ethan Wolff-Mann covers consumer issues, politics, technology, and personal finance for Yahoo Finance. Previously, he was a reporter at Money Magazine.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on December 09, 2020, 12:48:53 PM

Well if we're threatening to get split off to a separate thread named "rude footballer names, not necessarily American", I see your Assman and, um, raise you a

Dex Sawash

Was just checking on the Gavle Goat and saw the name of the presenter for the goat opening ceremony
Spoiler alert
Titti Schultz
[close]

steve98

Is there any chance Jordi Condom might ever play for Newcastle? That would be great.

greencalx

I suppose it's possible that Condom might once have taken a shot at goal to be caught by Seaman but that doesn't work does it?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: greencalx on December 27, 2020, 09:25:01 PM
I suppose it's possible that Condom might once have taken a shot at goal to be caught by Seaman but that doesn't work does it?

I certainly recall the collision Condom had with Kuntz.

imitationleather

Just saw this British guy with an American-sounding name:

Ornlu

Piece of shit pig cop (near-)murderer Rusten Sheskey.