Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 08:20:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why don't Americans have proper names?

Started by Sam, January 27, 2017, 12:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petril

Quote from: imitationleather on January 05, 2021, 06:55:01 PM
Just saw this British guy with an American-sounding name:

looks like he's one of those American actors who always gets the small character parts in films. always does the same face for each one too

Cuellar

Sherringford Hovis

My brother married into an American family and boasts both a Brady and a Duane as in-laws. Their bemused horror at the reality of bro's South London 'hood not living up to their Downton and The Crown preconceptions was the funniest shit I've ever seen, man.

pcsjwgm

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 06, 2021, 11:25:01 PM
Rep. Markwayne Mullin (Oklahoma) being interviewed on NBC now and sounding batshit insane. Saying the violence is in no way Trump's fault and "people are ultimately responsible for their own actions" and talking of "agitators" attacking the Trump supporters. Now going on about Antifa and "both sides fanning the flames". Fucking hell. Spoken like a fully paid-up cult member.

George White

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm5336682/

Alexis Koerner appeared in the short Hearsay with Judah McFadden (who was in the Ron Perlman movie the Great War and a short with Asylum actor Harwood Gordon) and Dov Lebowitz Nowak who was in TV pilot Gold on Bank Street with Mary Rogers McMaster (in The Last Full Measure with Christopher Plummer and Ken Barlow's Sun) and  Amazon Prime flick Light from the Tower with Nightwing fan film Poison Ivy Sarah Villegas, SArah Rsoengarten, Christopher Coakley, Amy Soaraghan, Buckner Hinkle (CBS' Bull) and Joe VEntricelli, Nicki Delmonico and Will F. Young

Ronin Boys/Shang Chi's Danton Mew.

B

idunnosomename

Eric Gavelek Munchel
Cleveland Grover Meredith Jr.
Bradley Rukstales

(via NYtimes: https://archive.md/VpVzk)

Replies From View

Wankers who go around in pairs seemingly to afford their names some kind of spark

"Howdy I'm Bryant."

Ah okay you've got an extra t in your name, let's see if your friend or partner here happens to have a missing one.

"Yankydoodle I'm P."

Of course, just P.  Short for Peter, you see.  Consider me shocked at your absence of a t sound, by the way.  Didn't see it coming.

GOODBYE BRIAN AND PISS I HOPE YOU CAN SLEEP AT NIGHT

evilcommiedictator

He's probably been posted before, but his grin sells it. Who wouldn't have a grin with a name like that

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ornlu

Presenting: retired pro footballer and Presbyterian minister Donn Moomaw.

Ian Drunken Smurf

TJ Ducklo. What an utter prize twat of a name there...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56045871

"Olympic swimmer Klete Keller faces new charges over Capitol riots"

Perhaps his parents really loved cycling shoes (and alternative spelling).

Marner and Me

RJ Umberger
Rob Klinkhammer (Canadian)
Jeff Beukeboom (Canadian)
Zarley Zalapski (Canadian)
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink (Dutch)

Inspector Norse

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: evilcommiedictator on January 18, 2021, 11:11:45 PM
He's probably been posted before, but his grin sells it. Who wouldn't have a grin with a name like that

Him and his bro, out on the prowl

My friend in North Carolina has a cousin whose first name is Skeeter.

Rusty, a name that used to be quite commonly given to boys born with red hair, seems to have lost favour in America.

QuoteOnly 45 baby boys received the name in the US in one recent year

Dex Sawash

Cuellar

From the Ben Garrison thread:

Kent Heckenlively

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 18, 2021, 02:01:46 PM

My sources from south of the Mason-Dixon Line* tell me that Skeeter is a slang term for a Mosquito ('moskeeter') so he/she would seem to be named after a blood-sucking insect.

*Wikipedia article on Skeeter Davis.

Replies From View

Markolt is a very common American name.

Not Mark or Marcus.  "Markolt".

Replies From View

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on February 18, 2021, 06:23:42 PM
My sources from south of the Mason-Dixon Line* tell me that Skeeter is a slang term for a Mosquito ('moskeeter') so he/she would seem to be named after a blood-sucking insect.

*Wikipedia article on Skeeter Davis.

This is racist against Muslims.

Dex Sawash

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Replies From View on February 18, 2021, 08:23:42 PM
Markolt is a very common American name.

Not Mark or Marcus.  "Markolt".

Yet not Mankolt, oddly.

No Mankolts around.

Marner and Me

Just watching the ice hockey, one of the special guest firemen is called Dusty Gooch. No word of a lie

greenman

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 18, 2021, 02:01:46 PM
Him and his bro, out on the prowl

Rusty, a name that used to be quite commonly given to boys born with red hair, seems to have lost favour in America.

Combined with that team logo as well.

Dex Sawash

Ferris

Quote from: greenman on February 20, 2021, 08:17:19 PM
Combined with that team logo as well.

It is one of the all-time great baseball logos you philistines - simultaneously combines the tricolour of France (cos of Québec), the M for Montréal, and if you look - the red and blue letters stand for "Expos Baseball" (and on an all white jersey, that's what you'd see).

The Big Train is one of the all time great pitchers as well for lots of esoteric baseball reasons, but also here he is (inadvertently) demolishing a bird with (what looks to me like) a high 90s 4 seamer: