Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:59:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Why don't Americans have proper names?

Started by Sam, January 27, 2017, 12:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

El Unicornio, mang

You mean The Big Unit? (Which in itself is a bit of a phallic name) Walter Johnson was the Big Train.

I dont think I'd be able to finish pitching game after exploding a bird. He was apparently shook up for days about it.

Bazooka

Troy Baker the voice actor top dog, has a son called Traveller Hyde Baker. 🤷

Midas

Currently reading The Catcher in the Rye and it's full of corkers:

Herb Gale

Mal Brossard

Ed Banky

Raymond Goldfarb

Dick Slagle

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Bazooka on February 21, 2021, 02:43:13 PM

Troy Baker goes around wearing cravats, so giving his kid a silly name is kind of expected from him.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteHerb Gale

Pronounced RRRRRRB, of course.

Fambo Number Mive

Have we mentioned Law and Order SVU Executive Producer Dick Wolf?

monkfromhavana

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Ferris is gonna be gutted he just missed a beer/baseball crossover joke.

The lads game has gone to pieces.

Ferris

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on February 21, 2021, 11:18:21 AM
You mean The Big Unit? (Which in itself is a bit of a phallic name) Walter Johnson was the Big Train.

I dont think I'd be able to finish pitching game after exploding a bird. He was apparently shook up for days about it.

I missed this, you're absolutely right! Will throw one of my expos caps in the bin from shame.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on March 08, 2021, 09:44:47 PM
Ferris is gonna be gutted he just missed a beer/baseball crossover joke.

The lads game has gone to pieces.

He has to be checking these generic threads more regularly for me, Clive.

Not performing at the Top of His Game. Doesn't have the work ethic. Schoolboy stuff. Etc etc.

Attila

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on February 20, 2021, 10:51:20 PM
It is one of the all-time great baseball logos you philistines - simultaneously combines the tricolour of France (cos of Québec), the M for Montréal, and if you look - the red and blue letters stand for "Expos Baseball" (and on an all white jersey, that's what you'd see).

The Big Train is one of the all time great pitchers as well for lots of esoteric baseball reasons, but also here he is (inadvertently) demolishing a bird with (what looks to me like) a high 90s 4 seamer:

Random thoughts:

Randy Johnson was one of my mom's favourite ballplayers. She loved him to bits. He was like 6'10", and I liked how it looked as if he were just handing the ball to his catcher. (Most of my favourite pitches are lefties, anyway, as it happens).

One of my brothers'/dad's friends when I was really little (so late 60s) was a young guy called Skeeter. He was a barber, and when my dad was tasked to take me for my first haircut by my mother, he took me to Skeeter, and not the ladies' hairdresser shop as she had asked. To save a few bucks, my dad brought me home with a late 1960s boys' short back and sides, and not the gentle trim my mom wanted on my then baby-fine shoulder-length hair. I still remember Skeeter's 'Are you sure about this, Hank?' when my dad told him to cut it all off, and my mother's subsequent scream when she saw me.

I used to watch the Expos out of a Canadian satellite station back in the 1990s (we lived in the middle of a forest in Virginia, and if you wanted any TV, you had to shell out for one of those 10-foot-wide satellite dishes. Ours was way the hell up a pole to see over the trees, and when they shut off all the satellites, rending such dishes obsolete, I trained a wisteria to climb the pole and to fill the satellite bowl. It looked spectacular in bloom.) Anyway, I was no fan of the Expos, having grew up a Phillies'/Orioles' fan, but absolutely loved listening to the games in French. Circuit complete!!

El Unicornio, mang

The first live baseball game ever broadcast in the UK featured the Expos and Cubs (who I ended up supporting after watching it)

This game, actually https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN199206130.shtml

They were all told beforehand it would be getting broadcast in the UK so had things like Harry Carey (there's a good American name) saying "this one's for all the folks in Great Britain" before singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame and the players in the dugout holding a "Fergie we love you" sign.

Ferris

Quote from: Attila on March 09, 2021, 07:25:50 AM
Random thoughts:

Randy Johnson was one of my mom's favourite ballplayers. She loved him to bits. He was like 6'10", and I liked how it looked as if he were just handing the ball to his catcher. (Most of my favourite pitches are lefties, anyway, as it happens).

One of my brothers'/dad's friends when I was really little (so late 60s) was a young guy called Skeeter. He was a barber, and when my dad was tasked to take me for my first haircut by my mother, he took me to Skeeter, and not the ladies' hairdresser shop as she had asked. To save a few bucks, my dad brought me home with a late 1960s boys' short back and sides, and not the gentle trim my mom wanted on my then baby-fine shoulder-length hair. I still remember Skeeter's 'Are you sure about this, Hank?' when my dad told him to cut it all off, and my mother's subsequent scream when she saw me.

I used to watch the Expos out of a Canadian satellite station back in the 1990s (we lived in the middle of a forest in Virginia, and if you wanted any TV, you had to shell out for one of those 10-foot-wide satellite dishes. Ours was way the hell up a pole to see over the trees, and when they shut off all the satellites, rending such dishes obsolete, I trained a wisteria to climb the pole and to fill the satellite bowl. It looked spectacular in bloom.) Anyway, I was no fan of the Expos, having grew up a Phillies'/Orioles' fan, but absolutely loved listening to the games in French. Circuit complete!!

That was lovely up until the Phillies/Orioles mention at which point sadly the post became irretrievable.

My wife and father in law used to go to watch the Expos semi regularly in the '90s on the basis that the Jays were a form of Toronto cultural dominance[nb]see also: everyone outside of the 905 hates my beloved Leafs[/nb] and the Expos were in their decline so you could sit behind home plate for next to nothing. I am very jealous of the memory, doubly so as I'll be inculcating my son with Anglo-dominant teams out of necessity as there is no alternative (except the Habs and I wouldn't inflict that on him).

A random Rays executive was honking on about moving the franchise to Montréal a year or two ago. Stade Olympique is still there (and one of the best looking venues in North America) and it would be great to have a team there outside of a few Jays exhibition games every year. Covid killed that chat stone dead, but who knows? Tampa's ticket sales were rock bottom even when they were doing well, and the Trop is a catacomb.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 09, 2021, 12:01:23 PM
The first live baseball game ever broadcast in the UK featured the Expos and Cubs (who I ended up supporting after watching it)

What channel was that on? I remember Channel 4 showed the 1986 world series, but I guess that must have been highlights. I remember being very taken by the excellent American name Darryl Strawberry but it was another 13 years before I became a Mets fan.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on March 10, 2021, 10:18:37 AM
What channel was that on? I remember Channel 4 showed the 1986 world series, but I guess that must have been highlights. I remember being very taken by the excellent American name Darryl Strawberry but it was another 13 years before I became a Mets fan.

Channel 4. It was part of something called "D night", a celebration of a German arts festival which somehow also included American baseball. Co-presented during the ad breaks by British NFL kicker Mick Luckhurst who used to do the Channel 4 NFL games back in the day. It was on 1am-4am, I taped it and must have watched the game in its entirety about 10 times.

Had to wait until 1997 before they showed any live games again (unless you had Sky), on Channel 5 with Tommy Boyd, terrible choice as he didn't even like the sport. Other than that it was brief clips on Transworld Sports, tuning into armed forces radio, or ordering tapes of individual games for something like 10 quid a pop (a lot of money when I was 14-15, although the company I did this with made a mistake and ended up sending me them every week for free).

flotemysost

Quote from: Bazooka on February 21, 2021, 02:43:13 PM

They'll have to cancel that family trip to Pontins.

I've been watching underwhelming Netflix murder/god botherer doc Murder Among the Mormons and one of the key players is called Alvin Rust. I can't think of another country where anyone would be called that.

non capisco

One of my favourite names ever belonged to a woman who worked in our US office by the name of Rusty Burris, which sounded to me like a slang term for a hastily wiped arsehole. We've all been there, you're really late for the train but you have to take a shit on the way out regardless, you end up all journey sitting there with a rusty burris. A special kind of hell. Oooh Betty, me rusty burris! It's singing with itch!

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: non capisco on March 10, 2021, 08:57:47 PM
One of my favourite names ever belonged to a woman who worked in our US office by the name of Rusty Burris

Sorry to bring this back to baseball again but it reminded me

Marner and Me

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 09, 2021, 12:40:31 PM
That was lovely up until the Phillies/Orioles mention at which point sadly the post became irretrievable.

My wife and father in law used to go to watch the Expos semi regularly in the '90s on the basis that the Jays were a form of Toronto cultural dominance[nb]see also: everyone outside of the 905 hates my beloved Leafs[/nb] and the Expos were in their decline so you could sit behind home plate for next to nothing. I am very jealous of the memory, doubly so as I'll be inculcating my son with Anglo-dominant teams out of necessity as there is no alternative (except the Habs and I wouldn't inflict that on him).

A random Rays executive was honking on about moving the franchise to Montréal a year or two ago. Stade Olympique is still there (and one of the best looking venues in North America) and it would be great to have a team there outside of a few Jays exhibition games every year. Covid killed that chat stone dead, but who knows? Tampa's ticket sales were rock bottom even when they were doing well, and the Trop is a catacomb.
I quite like the Habs, I'd rather see the Canadian teams do well over the American ones

Attila

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 09, 2021, 12:40:31 PM

I once took a behind-the-scenes tour of Fenway Park; it's a miracle I didn't burst into flames like a vampire entering a church.

(I can't stand the Reds or the Dodgers, if that helps).

George White

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1961199/?ref_=nm_knf_i1 This, starring Jacquie Floyd of Troma spinoff Singa's Weenie Roast Massacre, and Love and Plutonium with Grant Baccacio of MST3K

Pingers

Have we had this belter yet?

QuoteThe recall campaign says it has collected more than 2m signatures. "We're laser-focused on playing this out day by day," said Randy Economy, a senior advisor to the recall campaign. "Once we get this on the ballot officially, the next phase of the campaign kicks off – and that is to gather support for the recall."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/mar/17/gavin-newsom-recall-campaign-signatures-latest

They're just taking the piss now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Mr Banlon

I think they get their club names wrong as well

Aaron500

Possible paedo politician prick Matt Gaetz has an alleged fiancee called Ginger Luckey.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

There's a guy in the cast of the film Raw Deal called Cliff Happy.

Poobum

Equanimeous Tristan Imhotep J. St. Brown

Tristan !???

El Unicornio, mang

Try saying this guy's name five times quickly