Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:57:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Why don't Americans have proper names?

Started by Sam, January 27, 2017, 12:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex Sawash

Sebastian Cobb

Sorry, British rather than American but I recently watched a youtube video from a tech commentator called Kevlin.

Which looks like a typo of two common names.

Steven88

I post on a dog group on Facebook with Americans, a woman liked my post and her name seems to genuinely be Gay Rapin.

El Unicornio, mang

Bigfella

American girl's names are getting worse.  Taylor was bad enough, then McKenzie became popular.  Come on, McKenzie as a girl's first name?  What next - McGurk, Farqhuarson?

Inspector Norse

Now here's the face of a man whose name is Rexford G Tugwell and he's damn proud of that fact

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rexford_Tugwell

Dr Rock

Madison is now a popular girls name. That's totally from Splash! isn't it?

Jittlebags

There are at least 20 American scud performers called Madison.

touchingcloth

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 05, 2021, 01:02:39 PMMadison is now a popular girls name. That's totally from Splash! isn't it?

I've got an aunt called Madison Tugwell.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 05, 2021, 01:02:39 PMMadison is now a popular girls name. That's totally from Splash! isn't it?
Wikipedia also blames Splash; it was apparently almost non-existent before 1985, although was occasionally used as a boy's name. Other boring surnames turned into girls names include Harper, Addison, Kennedy, Hadley, Cassidy, Emerson, and even allegedly Remington. Parker too although it's more androgynous.

Gurke and Hare

Dex Sawash

PlanktonSideburns

Can't get musician and animator David Crognale out of my mind

Famous Mortimer

Looking like a poorly inflated Vincent Price, here's local lawyer Derald Gab:

seepage

I don't know why they called him Derald

beanheadmcginty

gilbertharding

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 03, 2022, 12:57:49 PMLooking like a poorly inflated Vincent Price, here's local lawyer Derald Gab:

This thread has started a turn towards territory covered by the defunct blog Sexy Executives

purlieu

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on February 03, 2022, 12:57:49 PMLooking like a poorly inflated Vincent Price, here's local lawyer Derald Gab:

The employees of 'The Law Offices of Derald L. Gab' - described on their website as "Honest and Aggressive Personal Injury Attorneys" - are Derald and Jared Gab, and Bert and Kyle Kleefuss. They even offer representation for "Truck/Semi-Truck Accidents" cases.

I find it very hard to believe these people are real.

Most of these names seem quite sensible to me compared to some of the names compiled in this blog. Possibly the best of all is Preserved Fish, who was a New York shipping merchant (naturally) and politician of the late 18th/early 18th C: https://politicalstrangenames.blogspot.com/2011/07/preserved-fish-1766-1846.html

Apparently, his forename was pronounced 'Pres-er-ved'.

Most of the others are more traditional Day Today/Toast of London-style fare: Outerbridge Horsey, Supply Belcher, Experience Estabrook, Shearjashub Bourne, etc.

The Mollusk

My friend's band had been pestering Nicolas Cage to "get in touch" recently (including standing outside an Edinburgh film festival he was attending with a fuck off massive banner) until they received a cease and desist from Cage's attorney.

His name?

Jimmy J. Sunset

Naturally they then went on to name their latest song after him.

QDRPHNC