Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:37:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brass Eye at 20

Started by Petey Pate, January 27, 2017, 12:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marquis_de_sad

Yeah one of the many reasons why the jam festival bit is so good is because of the performances, hers especially.

And of course Morris' shit-eating grin at the end.

AtomicRust

Is there a good list of the people "in the know" and those who were genuinely pranked on BE? If I recall correctly, a number of the people shown we're actually in on the joke.

Pepotamo1985

We've speculated at length about that on here in the past, and on the old SOTCAA site there's a random assortment of BE goss from the period (not sure how much of it's true) which I believe offers some conjecture in that regard too. I think Bruno Brookes and Tommy Vance were probably in on it, can't think of anyone else who comes across as blatantly knowing and/or had a preexisting relationship with Morris. There may be others.

It's funny, I've been revisiting the show recently after years of avoiding it due to overwatching, it never occurred to me it was 20 years ago. That's pretty mad. Apart from Sex, most of which I felt was rubbish, I think it stands up exceptionally well - just a really outstanding, awe inspiring, resolutely exceptional masterpiece that's still unlike anything I've ever seen and has never been bettered or remotely matched by anyone since. It's a cliche to say "that wouldn't be made now", but BE is perhaps the ne plus utlra of that phenomenon. The idea any channel would get behind something genuinely a wee bit dangerous and very, very different today is laughable. As that Guardian article says too, he was operating in an entirely different culturual milieu to that of today. It makes me sad that the whole experience was so unpleasant he decided to effectively disappear afterwards, there just isn't enough Morris stuff out there to enjoy (that we know of, at least).

Petey Pate

In this segment from some Top 10 countdown program, Tommy Vance claimed that he had no idea that his segment was a hoax, but at least saw the funny side of it.  John McCririck was less pleased.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbSZatEoYE

Pepotamo1985

Not sure I buy Vance's lines in that.

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Dirty Boy on January 31, 2017, 01:13:58 PMI suppose Decline suffers a bit from being obviously offcuts from the rest of the series shoved into one episode.

I'm fairly sure it was originally intended to be a dedicated 'Religion' episode. Quite why that didn't come to fruition I don' know - perhaps C4 got cold feet?

Pepotamo1985

Quote from: Dirty Boy on January 31, 2017, 08:24:56 PM
What's the verdict on best episode?

Has to be Crime, no question. The only bit that doesn't feel vital is the Key 2000 bit - funny, but not as funny as the rest of the ep.

In fact, Crime is probably the best precisely because it relies the most on sketches rather than celebrities. The Cowsick and Prison pieces are off the charts good, almost unreal in their execution. That woman getting catapulted into a shop is the funniest two seconds of film ever.

Dirty Boy

Quote from: Pepotamo1985 on February 04, 2017, 12:35:45 AM
Has to be Crime, no question. The only bit that doesn't feel vital is the Key 2000 bit - funny, but not as funny as the rest of the ep.
It's worth it for Tommy Vance's prison slang and the bits with Winner and Boycott
"Get. Right. Out. Of. The. Bed!"

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The celebrity bits are very variable in terms of underlying quality but they also contain bits Morris surely couldn't have hoped would turn out half as good as they did, such as Stephen Berkoff flattening toy farmers while screaming POWERBALL

thenoise

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on February 02, 2017, 03:55:35 PM
The Carla Lane interview doesn't particularly work. Other than "Prison's too good" - which she says of her own accord anyway - he doesn't really goad her into saying anything all that silly.
She does kneel beside and hug the grave of 'A COW' though.

The celeb stuff is fine in context, but easily my least favourite aspect of Brass Eye.  Maybe tainted by the fact that it inspired two decades of wannabes, eventually leading to those awful youtube pranksters.