Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:49:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The ultimate dickhead film

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, January 31, 2017, 10:30:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

Quote from: mrpupkin on February 01, 2017, 04:46:16 PM
Another vote for Human Traffic, the most idiotically dickheaded shite of all time.

I liked it at the time but post lads mag culture it's now bloody horrible.

Crabwalk

Petey Pate

Can't believe it's been 3 pages and no mention of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch.

I've known geezers whose idea of wit was to endlessly quote those two films.  Fuck off my perigee chums.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 01, 2017, 05:49:02 PM
Can't believe it's been 3 pages and no mention of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels or Snatch.

I've known geezers whose idea of wit was to endlessly quote those two films.  Fuck off my perigee chums.

I think this is probably the winner.

Gulftastic

Another vote for Scarface.

Although I did once work with a dickhead who thought that the first film called 'The Italian Job' was the greatest film of all time.

Dr Syntax Head

Absolutely any superhero movies. People who think it's high art get on my nerves making them dickheads

Gulftastic

I know it's stating the bleeding obvious, but Entourage and it's sequel must be in with a shout.

chocky909

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, RIDDICK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME NECRO BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXY'S MOST DANGEROUS PRISON. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING. THEN I LIFT

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Petey Pate on February 01, 2017, 05:49:02 PM

There's definitely a much higher percentage of fans of Lock Stock/Snatch that are dickheads.(Alan Ford is good though) But, I know some women that like fucking love Lock Stock and Snatch. I don't think I know any women that like Scarface. Maybe Scarface edges it for that reason.

hewantstolurkatad

Surprising amount of hate for the fast and furious franchise scattered through here, 5&6 are great dumb fun and several of the others aren't awful. I don't think anyone who likes them thinks of them as the greatest films ever though.

Scarface is surely a very strong contender but I'd expand it to include just about any Oliver Stone film.
Some of them are fine overall, but there's almost always something fucking rotten about them even beyond the ridiculous self righteousness that would make me wary of someone who unreservedly loves them.

Mr Banlon

Fucking hell yes. JFK Now that is a dickhead film

Funcrusher

Scarface is a DePalma film tho. And it's a decent enough film that has some awful fans. Lock Stock really is the right answer to this question.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on February 01, 2017, 09:22:13 PM
Surprising amount of hate for the fast and furious franchise scattered through here, 5&6 are great dumb fun and several of the others aren't awful. I don't think anyone who likes them thinks of them as the greatest films ever though.

Is hate the right word?

The first one covered all the ground.

The rest are horrendously boring and directed in the most cuntily smug arrogant fashion imaginable. We're invited to look upon these vest wearers as gods, cowering as they snarl by lime coloured metal.

I have watched parts of the most recent films and it was so tedious, set piece after set piece without any feeling anything was at stake, just like watching a youtube video of someone completing a computer game level on cheat mode.

Lord Mandrake

Again, not seen it but the Bad Boys franchise looks like a dickheads delight, Bradley Cooper is an dickheads favourite actor.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on February 01, 2017, 09:42:19 PM
Again, not seen it but the Bad Boys franchise looks like a dickheads delight

BZZT

Wrong. Bad Boys is a self-aware film. There's no pomposity or braggadocio, it's Martin Lawrence getting gradually grouchier as Will Smith wisecracks. It's very much light entertainment. The second one gets a bit shit when it tries to go serious but that's mainly poor plotting, also, some family events that largely only black Americans would find funny unfurl. But hey, they must get that all the time in reverse.

If I saw either in anyone's collection I wouldn't think they were a dickhead, probably just that it was a phase they had previously gone through.

hewantstolurkatad

Funcrusher

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on February 01, 2017, 09:51:39 PM
Written by Oliver Stone.

Yes, but not directed by him, so not a Oliver Stone film in the sense that JFK is.

Mr Banlon

Jeebus, I forgot about Red Dawn.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on February 01, 2017, 05:31:51 PMI like Fight Club but it is a bit of a dickhead go to. Hang on a minute. Maybe i'm just a dickhead.

Fight Club (along with Pulp Fiction and a few others I can't think of now) is one of those films that everyone has seen.  Literally never met a person who hasn't seen it.  And it's a very well-made film.  Problem is, there's so much material in there which lends itself readily to the most tedious cunts (see also Game Of Thrones, most superhero movies, anything with rousing battle speeches).  Whether this makes it a "dickhead film" innately, which I'd describe as being a film made by dickheads for dickheads, is something I'm not certian of.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If there's one film always cited as being clever and political when it really isn't, it's Fight Club.

It's the kind of film a 15 year old would find clever. It's really an absurdly silly masochism flick draped in some cod-philosophy uttered by an agreeably cool and handsome person. There are some unjustifiably over-wrought moments as well.

I think to seriously place it high in your favourite films list you'd have to have had a pretty sheltered/casual film watching experience, or be enjoying it because you were really into all the stylistics and cod philosophy and Brad Pitt being a hunk. Ie- a dickhead.

marquis_de_sad

Don't know why you think it isn't a political film. If anything, it's political message is too heavy handed.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 02, 2017, 09:51:51 AMIt's really an absurdly silly masochism flick draped in some cod-philosophy uttered by an agreeably cool and handsome person.

That's sort of the point though, isn't it?  It wouldn't make much sense if Tyler Durden was played by Steve Buscemi, and the "ideology" is supposed to be bullshit.  Either way, if those are problems, they're all from the book.

I dunno.  I reckon it's a very good film, which has perhaps become a victim of its own popularity (which wasn't instant, by the way, I think someone lost their job for greenlighting it).

That being said, here's Patrice O'Neal basically confirming its rightful place among the "dickhead films":  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfipIzr4JXE

Golden E. Pump

Green Street

Trying to make me empathise with football hooligans. The only way I'd have enjoyed that film is if it ended with a bus crash killing the whole cast.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on February 02, 2017, 10:29:56 AM
Green Street

Trying to make me empathise with football hooligans. The only way I'd have enjoyed that film is if it ended with a bus crash killing the whole cast.

With Frodo as a well 'ard footie hooligan , too. Didn't quite work.

In a similar vain to the above criticism, there is also Attack The Block, in which Joe Cornish asks us, the top audience, to empathise with a bunch of teenage delinquent  scumbag muggers of women and killers of female aliens. Anyone who found their sympathies lying with those folk would , indeed, be dickheads.

phantom_power

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on February 02, 2017, 09:51:51 AM
If there's one film always cited as being clever and political when it really isn't, it's Fight Club.

It's the kind of film a 15 year old would find clever. It's really an absurdly silly masochism flick draped in some cod-philosophy uttered by an agreeably cool and handsome person. There are some unjustifiably over-wrought moments as well.

I think to seriously place it high in your favourite films list you'd have to have had a pretty sheltered/casual film watching experience, or be enjoying it because you were really into all the stylistics and cod philosophy and Brad Pitt being a hunk. Ie- a dickhead.

It is a very good film though. Well acted, written and directed. It is only people reading it the wrong way and taking it at face value that makes it a film for dicks. It is also pretty political, though again the message isn't what a lot people think it is, or is at least a lot more ambiguous

Nobody Soup

no, it's actually The Dark Knight.

I was talking about something last night and used it as a comparison, when the person said they hadn't seen it I felt so stupid and jealous of them for being cool enough not to have seen this steaming pile of shit.

fight club has cod philosophy? compared to this?

16 year olds the world over use the joker as an avatar on forums where homophobia, misogyny and racism are unironically acceptable as insults. anyone who puts it among their favourite films is objectively stupid.

phantom_power

Isn't that just another case of people getting the message of the film wrong though, rather than the film itself being bad?

Dr Syntax Head

Fight Club is a great film (book is good too, one of the few times Palanhuik has been brilliant) but I think people are forgetting quite how long ago it came out and the film environment at the time.
It was supposed to originally attack that whole MAN culture at the time this was prevalent as fuck and lads were lads, booze, football, lager, boobs. The irony is the very people (Ladz) that Fight club were assessing were the people (Ladz) that loved it and quoted it all the time.

I personally still think it stands up. Remove this one off the list

I really hope someone has already mentioned Football Factory

checkoutgirl

It's gotta be Transformers hasn't it?

SteveDave

Anything starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.