Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:13:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

IMDb to imminently shut, then delete, all of its message boards

Started by Ambient Sheep, February 04, 2017, 04:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: Steven on February 09, 2017, 12:18:24 AM
I can't wait to read and preserve the boards for Triangle and Primer!

Fahrenheit 451 style, where you have to commit it all to memory and spend the rest of your days wondering the country muttering the conversations for posterity.

ASFTSN

Even though this goes against everything I think the internet should stand for in theory, there's also a slightly delicious feeling here of a disgusting, festering boil full of adolescent slime and post-millenium internet hellspawn being lanced.

machotrouts

Well they've done it now. Turns out the February 20 deadline meant February 20, 00:15 GMT. It's still the 19th for most of its users.

I didn't post there and I could never get too invested in reading forums that regularly had their old threads deleted anyway, but I'd been working on a Sporcle quiz series about them after the announcement (identify films from screenshots of their forums, would have been a great lark to play, take my word for it) and was just about on course to get it done by 5am, the earliest time I thought they could plausibly pull the plug – it is owned by an American company, right? Anyway, fortnight's work down the drain, there. All that taking Sporcle quizzes disproportionately seriously for nothing.

Don't suppose anyone actually put together an archive, did they? I tried archive.org and the popular boards I tried had a page or two captured in 2007 and that's about it.

Blumf

thenoise

Personally happy that evidence of me being a know it all pompous adolescent shitbag, all posted under my real name, is being removed.

Now if all the user reviews and Amazon reviews prior to about 2005 could be deleted now, that would be grand.

Howj Begg

So this has been set up. I've searched for one or two movies and at least some of the preserved IMDB threads are coming up. Seems to be patchy though.

http://www.moviechat.org/

amnesiac

WTAF! I had no idea about this. I used the 'I Need To Know' board all the time. You could honestly find any forgotten movie or piece of music on there with the most scant of remembered fragments. The people were insanely helpful and knowledgeable. Why couldn't they leave that!